What is the best way to find a specific chemical for a lab class?

In summary, the student is searching for a specific chemical for a lab class, which must be used as a drug in the pharmaceutical industry, have one chiral center, and be soluble in water for making 4 Molar solutions. They are considering searching through drug databases and using SciFinder Scholar for assistance.
nkk2008

Homework Statement

I need to find a specific chemical for a lab class. The manual states the chemical must:
  1. Be used as a drug in the pharmaceutical industry
  2. Have one chiral center
  3. Be soluble (make 4 Molar solutions) in water
So...any ideas? Or, better yet, is there a database where I can input parameters like these? The only databases I could find wanted a name or chemical formula, which I clearly do not have.

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

I am sort of just looking through drug databases, then searching for all of the drugs on sigma aldrich's website to get solubility. I do know a smaller carboxylic acid would probably be good, but I do not know of a drug that fits that definition (smaller being the problem part).

Thanks,
nkk

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm. At least one chiral centre, means that all the groups attached to chiral carbons are different.

Water soluble means, the compound has good dipole moment, probably one group can be Hydroxide group, other can be H, 3rd and 4th can be such that they don't affect the dipole effect of C-OH bond on the whole molecule.

I would recommend you to google "Your School SciFinder Scholar", and see if you can get free access through your institution. SciFinder Scholar is an excellent database for scanning through molecules and reactions with specific properties.

1. What is the process for finding a specific chemical?

The process for finding a specific chemical can vary depending on the specific chemical and the purpose of the search. Generally, it involves researching and identifying potential sources, such as suppliers or databases, and then conducting experiments or analyses to confirm the presence of the chemical.

2. How do I determine the purity of a chemical?

To determine the purity of a chemical, you can use various analytical techniques such as chromatography or spectroscopy. These methods involve separating the different components of a sample and measuring their individual quantities to determine the purity of the chemical.

3. Can I use a chemical from a different source if I cannot find the specific one I need?

In most cases, it is not recommended to use a chemical from a different source if you cannot find the specific one you need. Different sources may have different levels of purity or impurities, which can affect the results of your experiments. It is best to find the exact chemical you need or use a substitute that has been thoroughly tested and verified to have similar properties.

4. How can I ensure the safety of handling a specific chemical?

To ensure the safety of handling a specific chemical, it is important to carefully read and follow the safety data sheet (SDS) provided by the supplier. Additionally, proper personal protective equipment (PPE) should be worn when handling the chemical and any necessary precautions should be taken, such as working in a fume hood or using proper ventilation.

5. What should I do if I cannot find any information on a specific chemical?

If you cannot find any information on a specific chemical, it is important to consult with a chemical expert or conduct further research on reputable databases and sources. It is crucial to have accurate and reliable information when working with chemicals, so it is best to seek out professional advice or additional resources.