1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding a specific chemical

1. Aug 21, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I need to find a specific chemical for a lab class. The manual states the chemical must:
    1. Be used as a drug in the pharmaceutical industry
    2. Have one chiral center
    3. Be soluble (make 4 Molar solutions) in water
    So...any ideas? Or, better yet, is there a database where I can input parameters like these? The only databases I could find wanted a name or chemical formula, which I clearly do not have.

2. Relevant equations
    None

3. The attempt at a solution
    I am sort of just looking through drug databases, then searching for all of the drugs on sigma aldrich's website to get solubility. I do know a smaller carboxylic acid would probably be good, but I do not know of a drug that fits that definition (smaller being the problem part).

Thanks,
    nkk

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 23, 2012 #2

AGNuke

Gold Member

Hmm. At least one chiral centre, means that all the groups attached to chiral carbons are different.

Water soluble means, the compound has good dipole moment, probably one group can be Hydroxide group, other can be H, 3rd and 4th can be such that they don't affect the dipole effect of C-OH bond on the whole molecule.

4. Aug 24, 2012 #3
    I would recommend you to google "Your School SciFinder Scholar", and see if you can get free access through your institution. SciFinder Scholar is an excellent database for scanning through molecules and reactions with specific properties.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook