Finding acceleration and distance

In summary: I will post c question now..In summary, the conversation is about a soccer ball being released from rest on a grassy incline, and reaching the bottom of the incline after 6.3 seconds, traveling a distance of 51 meters. The summary provides calculations for the ball's acceleration (2.57 m/s^2) and the length of the incline (68.5 meters). The individual seeking help is a first-time physics student and is unsure about their solution, asking for confirmation and a hint on another question.
kari82
I think i found the answers but the solutions don't make sense to me. Please help me correct my solution. Thanks!

A soccer ball is released from rest at the top of a grassy incline. After 6.3 seconds, the ball travels 51 meters. One second later, the ball reaches the bottom of the incline.
a) What was the ball's acceleration? (Assume that the acceleration was constant.)
b) How long was the incline?

a)
at rest t=0 and yi=0
at t=6.3 yf=51 m
yf-yi= vi(t)+1/2(a)(t)^2
51m=0(6.3)+1/2(a)(6.3 s)^2
[(51m)(2)]/39.69s^2=a=2.57 m/s^2

b)
a(constant)=2.57m/s^2
t(final)=7.3s

deltay=vi(7.3s)+1/2(a)(t)^2
deltay=0+1/2(2.57m/s^2)(7.3s)^2
deltay=68.5m

Physics news on Phys.org
kari82 said:
I think i found the answers but the solutions don't make sense to me. Please help me correct my solution. Thanks!

A soccer ball is released from rest at the top of a grassy incline. After 6.3 seconds, the ball travels 51 meters. One second later, the ball reaches the bottom of the incline.
a) What was the ball's acceleration? (Assume that the acceleration was constant.)
b) How long was the incline?

a)
at rest t=0 and yi=0
at t=6.3 yf=51 m
yf-yi= vi(t)+1/2(a)(t)^2
51m=0(6.3)+1/2(a)(6.3 s)^2
[(51m)(2)]/39.69s^2=a=2.57 m/s^2

b)
a(constant)=2.57m/s^2
t(final)=7.3s

deltay=vi(7.3s)+1/2(a)(t)^2
deltay=0+1/2(2.57m/s^2)(7.3s)^2
deltay=68.5m

Looks fine to me. Why do you think it doesn't make sense?

This is my first physics class (university physics) and I always feel like I'm missing something.. I like to have confirmation from someone that knows what they r doing ;-)

Can you give me a hint on question c please? Thanks!

kari82 said:
This is my first physics class (university physics) and I always feel like I'm missing something.. I like to have confirmation from someone that knows what they r doing ;-)

Can you give me a hint on question c please? Thanks!

Did you post a c) question? Did you post your attempt at a solution for whatever c) is?

Question c was in a different post.. I'm sorry! I made a mistake..

1. How do I find the acceleration of an object?

In order to find the acceleration of an object, you will need to know the initial and final velocity of the object, as well as the time it takes for the object to change velocity. You can use the equation a = (vf - vi) / t to calculate acceleration, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

2. What are some ways to measure acceleration?

There are several ways to measure acceleration, depending on the type of object and the equipment available. One method is to use a stopwatch and measure the time it takes for an object to change velocity. Another method is to use a device called an accelerometer, which measures acceleration directly.

3. How can I find the distance an object has traveled if I know its acceleration?

To find the distance an object has traveled, you will need to know the initial velocity, acceleration, and time. You can use the equation d = vi * t + 1/2 * a * t^2 to calculate distance, where d is distance, vi is initial velocity, t is time, and a is acceleration.

4. Is there a difference between average acceleration and instantaneous acceleration?

Yes, there is a difference between average acceleration and instantaneous acceleration. Average acceleration is the overall change in velocity over a period of time, while instantaneous acceleration is the acceleration at a specific moment in time. Instantaneous acceleration can be found by taking the limit as time approaches zero in the equation for average acceleration.

5. How does mass affect acceleration?

The mass of an object does affect its acceleration. The greater the mass of an object, the more force is needed to accelerate it. This is described by Newton's second law of motion, which states that force = mass * acceleration. Therefore, a larger mass will require a greater force to achieve the same acceleration as a smaller mass.