Finding acceleration using velocity

In summary, the problem involves a race car starting from rest and traveling east along a straight and level track. The eastward component of the car's velocity is given by vx(t)=(0.940 m/s3)t2 for the first 5.0 s. To solve for acceleration, the equation x-x0=(v0+v)/2)t can be used, with given values of x0=0 and t=5.00s. The relation between velocity and displacement is important, as well as understanding how acceleration is defined. The final answer for acceleration is 7.46 m/s^2.
Crusaderking1

Homework Statement

A race car starts from rest and travels east along a straight and level track. For the first 5.0 s of the car's motion, the eastward component of the car's velocity is given by vx(t)=(0.940 m/s3)t2

Homework Equations

I think I am suppose to use the equation x-x0=(v0+v)/2)t

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the givens are x0=0 and t=5.00s, but I don't know how to use vx to solve for acceleration. Thanks.

You guys didn't happen to obtain7.46 m/s^2 as the answer, did you?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Crusaderking1 said:
the car's velocity is given by vx(t)=(0.940 m/s3)t2I think I am suppose to use the equation x-x0=(v0+v)/2)t

No, that relation is valid between displacement and velocity for a special kind of motion, what is it? Is it the same as the motion in the problem?

Do you need to get the displacement or the acceleration?

Hint: how is velocity and displacement related in general? How is acceleration defined?

ehild

ehild said:
No, that relation is valid between displacement and velocity for a special kind of motion, what is it? Is it the same as the motion in the problem?

Do you need to get the displacement or the acceleration?

Hint: how is velocity and displacement related in general? How is acceleration defined?

ehild

ok thanks! I just figured it out. =)

the answer is 7.46 m/s^2.

What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate of change of velocity over time. In simpler terms, it is how quickly an object's speed is increasing or decreasing.

How do you calculate acceleration?

Acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. This can be represented with the formula a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

What is the difference between average acceleration and instantaneous acceleration?

Average acceleration is the overall change in velocity over a given period of time, while instantaneous acceleration is the acceleration at a specific moment in time. Average acceleration can be calculated by using the average velocity and time, while instantaneous acceleration requires the use of calculus to find the derivative of the velocity function at a specific time.

How does acceleration affect an object's motion?

Acceleration can cause an object's motion to change in various ways depending on the direction and magnitude of the acceleration. It can cause an object to speed up, slow down, or change direction. The effect of acceleration on an object's motion can be described using Newton's Laws of Motion.

Can acceleration be negative?

Yes, acceleration can be negative. This means that the object is slowing down or changing direction in the negative direction. It is important to pay attention to the sign of acceleration when analyzing an object's motion, as it can provide information about the direction of motion.