Finding an Integrating Factor for Solving Differential Equations

In summary: So I guess I need help factoring out the y before solving the intergal.In summary, the problem involves finding an integrating factor of susceptible form for the differential equation y(x+y)dx+(xy+1)dy=0. The attempted solution involves using the formula for integrating factor, but there is a confusion in the integration step due to the presence of both x and y in the integrand. The poster is seeking help in factoring out the y before solving the integral.
Phatman
1. solve the problem first finding an integrating factor of susceptible form.
y(x+y)dx+(xy+1)dy=0

Homework Equations

form: M(x,y)dx+N(x,y)dy=0
intigrating factor: eint(1/n(dm/dy-dndx)dx

The Attempt at a Solution

u(x)=eint(1/(xy+1)(y(x+y)d/dy-(xy+1)d/dx)dx
this reduces to
eint((x+y)/(xy+1))dx

This is where I need help. my integration is not good. I know that if I can solve for the integrating factor then I can solve for the equation because it will be in exact form.

Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Phatman said:
y(x+y)dx+(xy+1)dy=0

Homework Equations

intigrating factor: eint(1/n(dm/dy-dndx)dx

u(x)=eint(1/(xy+1)(y(x+y)d/dy-(xy+1)d/dx)dx
This makes no sense to me. Your integrand is a function of x and y but you are integrating with respect to x so the exponent will be a function of y only yet you say that equals a function of x!

this reduces to
eint((x+y)/(xy+1))dx

This is where I need help. my integration is not good. I know that if I can solve for the integrating factor then I can solve for the equation because it will be in exact form.

Thanks for any help.

Phatman said:
y(x+y)dx+(xy+1)dy=0

Homework Equations

intigrating factor:
inigrating factor.jpg

( Please excuse the u(x) remnants I'm leaning how to use the white boar editor.)[/B]
inigrating factor#2.jpg

this reduces to ( Please excuse the u(x) reminets I'm leaning how to use the white boar editor.)
inigrating factor#3.jpg

Thanks for any help.
edited to make it easier to read

Halsofivy, you are right u(x) should be in terms of x. the way it works out in the book examples is y gets factored out while solving for the intigal. leaving only a function of x.

Related to Finding an Integrating Factor for Solving Differential Equations

1. What are Special Integrating Factors?

Special Integrating Factors are mathematical tools used in solving differential equations. They are special functions that can be multiplied to a given differential equation to make it easier to solve.

2. How do Special Integrating Factors work?

Special Integrating Factors work by multiplying them to a given differential equation, which transforms the equation into an exact differential equation. This makes it easier to integrate and find the solution.

3. What types of equations can Special Integrating Factors be used for?

Special Integrating Factors can be used for first-order and second-order differential equations, as well as systems of differential equations. They are particularly useful for equations that are not initially exact.

4. What are some examples of Special Integrating Factors?

Some examples of Special Integrating Factors include the exponential, trigonometric, and logarithmic functions. Other examples include the Bernoulli equation and the Riccati equation.

5. What are the benefits of using Special Integrating Factors?

The use of Special Integrating Factors can greatly simplify the process of solving differential equations, as they convert non-exact equations into exact ones. This allows for easier integration and better understanding of the solution to the equation.