Finding an Interval of Convergence

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the interval of convergence for an infinite series using the ratio test. The resulting interval is determined to be -1 < x < 3, but the endpoints still need to be tested to determine if they are included in the interval. An example is provided to demonstrate how to test the endpoints. The final conclusion is that the series converges for -1 <= x < 1 or [-1, 1) in interval notation.
Battlemage!

Homework Statement

Find the interval of convergence of the infinite series:

(x-1)n / 2n
n = 1

Homework Equations

Using the ration test. It converges if the absolute value of the limit of f(n+1)/f(n) as n -> ∞ < 1.

Well, I hope that's how you write it. I'm sure you guys know how to use the ration test.

The Attempt at a Solution

I actually believe I have the answer. But I have no way of knowing if it is right.

Here is my answer:

The interval of convergence is -1 < x < 3.

I got this by using the ratio test, and then eliminating factors of (x-1)n and 2n (after expanding the exponents), leaving me with the limit of

lim (x-1)/2 as n -> ∞

Then, since there is no n, then that limit IS (x -1)/2 (unless I'm totally off)

And the absolute value of that has to be less than 1 for it to converge, so

-1 < (x-1)/2 < 1

-2 < x - 1 < 2

-1 < x < 3

Is this correct? Do you need me to post the part where I canceled out terms before I took the limit?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks good. The only thing the test doesn't tell you about is what happens at the endpoints ([tex] x = -1, x = 3[/tex]). You have to try each one and determine what happens. (In general) You may find the series does not converge at either endpoint, it may converge at one but not the other, or it may converge at both.
Good work.

Thanks for the help, but I do have one more question. You see, it's been about 1.5 years since I've worked with series. This will be a very stupid question..

How exactly do you test if the two endpoints are included in the interval? I just don't know the method for doing that.Thanks again!

Your most recent post begins:

Battlemage! said:
Thanks for the help, but I do have one more question. You see, it's been about 1.5 years since I've worked with series. This will be a very stupid question..
Nonsense.
It continues

How exactly do you test if the two endpoints are included in the interval? I just don't know the method for doing that.
Thanks again!

Good, common question. As an example, suppose I have the series

[tex]
\sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{x^n}{n}
[/tex]

Work similar to what you did in your example shows the radius of convergence to be [tex] 1 [/tex], so I know the series converges for [tex] -1 < x < 1 [/tex]. What about the endpoints here?
First, consider [tex] x = 1 [/tex]. Simply plug this value into the series and study the result. I get

[tex]
\sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{(1)^n}{n} = \sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac 1 n,
[/tex]

which I know diverges because it is the harmonic series. If I try [tex] = -1 [/tex],

[tex]
\sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{(-1)^n}{n}
[/tex]

which is known to converge.

Putting all of this work together shows that the original series converges for [tex] -1 \le x < 1 [/tex], or [tex] [-1, 1) [/tex] if you write it in interval notation.

I hope this helps.

1. What is an interval of convergence?

An interval of convergence is a range of values for which a power series, a type of infinite series, converges or approaches a finite value. It is typically denoted as [a, b] and can be open or closed, depending on whether the endpoints are included or not.

2. How do you find the interval of convergence?

To find the interval of convergence, you can use the ratio test or the root test. These tests determine the values of x for which the series will converge. You can also check the endpoints of the interval to see if they are included in the convergence range.

3. What is the significance of the interval of convergence?

The interval of convergence is important because it tells us the values of x for which the power series will converge. This allows us to determine the range of x for which the series is valid and can be used to approximate a function.

4. Can the interval of convergence be infinite?

Yes, the interval of convergence can be infinite. This means that the series will converge for all values of x. However, it is more common for the interval of convergence to be a finite range of values.

5. What happens if x is outside the interval of convergence?

If x is outside the interval of convergence, the power series will not converge and cannot be used to approximate the function. In this case, other methods such as Taylor series or numerical methods may be used to approximate the function at that point.