Finding angle as a function of time

In summary, the problem involves finding the angle as a function of time for the track (spiral) of a spinning CD in a player, where the radius of the spiral increases with h per revelation. The angular velocity is given by ω = v/(r_i + (hθ)/2π) and the question is asking for the angle as a function of time. By rearranging the equation and differentiating it, the expression θ(t) = -2π(r_i + √(r_i^2 - hvt/π)/h) is obtained. To find the angular acceleration, the angular velocity can be differentiated.
naphtalene

Homework Statement

I don't know exactly how to integrate in this case.
This problem is about the track (spiral) of a spinning CD in a player.
The radius of the spiral depends on time/revelations and is given by:

[itex]r=r_i+\frac{h\theta}{2\pi}[/itex] , which means that the radius increases with h per revelation.

v ist the constant speed with which the disc surface passes the laser. The rate of change of the angle is given by:
[itex]\omega = \frac{d\theta}{dt} = \frac{v}{(r_i + \frac{h\theta}{2\pi} )}[/itex]

I am looking for the angle as a function of time.

[itex]\int \! \omega \, dt = \int \! \frac{v}{r_i+\frac{h\theta}{2\pi}} \, dt = ?[/itex]

Homework Equations

-

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I tried to substitute [itex]\theta[/itex] with [itex]\omega t[/itex] but this is definitely wrong because neither the angular velocity nor the angular acceleration is constant.
Now I'm really stuck ...I'm somewhat slow on the uptake tomorrow. Any hints? How can I solve this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Re-arrange your equation to isolate dt on one side. Note that v is a constant so treat it as such. You should be able to integrate both sides of the resulting equation, one with respect to dt and the other with respect to dθ, with suitable integration limits.

naphtalene said:
[itex]r=r_i+\frac{h\theta}{2\pi}[/itex] (1), which means that the radius increases with h per revelation.

v ist the constant speed with which the disc surface passes the laser. The rate of change of the angle is given by:
[itex]\omega = \frac{d\theta}{dt} = \frac{v}{(r_i + \frac{h\theta}{2\pi} )}[/itex]

I am looking for the angle as a function of time.

Differentiate equation (1) and substitute v/r for dθ/dt.You get a separable equation for r(t). Solve and use in (1) to get θ(t).

ehild

@gneill: The same thread at the same time again...

Well, if I rearrange this equation and differentiate it ...I get zero? I still don't get it =/

naphtalene said:
Well, if I rearrange this equation and differentiate it ...I get zero? I still don't get it =/

Can you show the rearranged equation?

Okay, I think I'm now a little step further.

[itex]k = \frac{h}{2\pi}[/itex]

[itex]\frac{d\theta}{dt}=\frac{v}{r_i+k\theta}[/itex]

[itex]dt=\frac{r_i+k\theta}{v}d\theta [/itex]

[itex]t(\theta)=\int_0^t \, dt= \int_0^\theta \! (\frac{k\theta}{v}+\frac{r_i}{v} ) \, d\theta = \frac{k\theta^2}{2v}+\frac{r_i\theta}{v} [/itex]

But what now?

edit: solving the quadratic equation gives me

[itex]-\frac{2\pi(r_i+\sqrt{r_i^2-hvt\pi^{-1}})}{h}[/itex]

Last edited:
If you've solved for t as a function of θ, then you also have θ as a function of t by suitable rearrangement.

[itex]\theta(t) = -\frac{2\pi(r_i+\sqrt{r_i^2-hvt\pi^{-1}})}{h}[/itex]

Can this be right? Seems kinda odd to me, but this is the only way I see to solve for θ

It looks reasonable to me.

[EDIT]: There are two roots to the quadratic, so you should verify that you've chosen the one that makes physical sense. Perhaps plug some representative values into the variables.

Last edited:
Great :) Then I think I finally got the clue... just need a little more experience :) Thanks!

Oh, I got another question.

To find the angular acceleration, I need to differentiate the angular velocity. But how do I do this here?

naphtalene said:
Oh, I got another question.

To find the angular acceleration, I need to differentiate the angular velocity. But how do I do this here?

You've just derived an expression for θ(t), the angular position with respect to time. What's the relationship between position, velocity, and acceleration?

By the way, I added a note to post #9; you should verify that you've selected the right root of the quadratic when you solved for θ.

Okay, I got it now. I differentiated θ(t) two times :) Thanks for your help!

1. How can I find the angle as a function of time?

To find the angle as a function of time, you will need to know the angular velocity and initial angle. You can use the formula: angle = initial angle + (angular velocity * time). This will give you the angle at any given time.

2. What is the relationship between angle and time?

The relationship between angle and time is determined by the angular velocity. The higher the angular velocity, the faster the angle will change over time. This means that the angle and time are directly proportional to each other.

3. Can I use any unit of time to find the angle?

Yes, you can use any unit of time as long as it is consistent with the units of your angular velocity. For example, if your angular velocity is measured in radians per second, then your time should also be in seconds.

4. How do I calculate the angular velocity?

The angular velocity can be calculated by dividing the change in angle by the change in time. This can be represented by the formula: angular velocity = (final angle - initial angle) / (final time - initial time).

5. Can I use this formula to find the angle of any rotating object?

Yes, this formula can be used to find the angle of any rotating object as long as you have the necessary information, including the initial angle, angular velocity, and time. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to track the position of rotating objects over time.