Finding angles quickly in your head

In summary, the free-body diagram shows a triangle with an angle labeled as alpha. In solving the problem, both the book and the lecturer assume that alpha is equal to theta, which may not be obvious to some. By drawing a larger triangle and considering the relationships between angles, it can be seen that the red angles in the smaller and larger triangles are equal, and adding alpha to the outer red angle will result in a 90 degree angle. This strategy can be used to easily determine the relationship between alpha and theta in simpler configurations.
sh86
Here's the free-body diagram of a stupid physics problem I had:

http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/5081/triangleey9.png

When going over this problem both my book and my lecturer say that [tex]\alpha = \theta[/tex] (they actually don't even mention [tex]\alpha[/tex]; they just write it as [tex]\theta[/tex] to begin with. I just wrote the [tex]\alpha[/tex] there myself) as if it's obvious and trivial. I don't see how it's obvious though. I had to draw out http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/9138/triangle2sz6.png and figure that [tex]\beta+\alpha=90[/tex] and [tex]\beta+\theta=90[/tex] and therefore [tex]\alpha=\theta[/tex] which took me a few minutes to figure out.

My question is, when you see my first image (the physics one) do you immediatley see that that angle is equal to [tex]\theta[/tex]? Please tell me how you knew. I want to have this kind of intuition about things but I just don't see it. What relationships did you use? Is there another way to do it other than my alpha-beta thing?

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
I see it like this, the angles I drew red in this picture are clearly the same:

http://img57.imageshack.us/img57/7542/triangleey9bhd1.png

and you can add either alpha or theta to get 90

Last edited by a moderator:
I take the image and kind of "wiggle" it around in my head...for instance...

If I move the incline so that [tex]\theta[/tex] is a very small angle, it is clear that [tex]\alpha[/tex] also becomes a very small angle (since Fg always points straight down).

If I move the incline so that it is almost straight up in the air, [tex]\theta[/tex] becomes a large angle and so does [tex]\alpha[/tex]. This is how I've learned to do it...it's simple, doesn't really require any geometrical work, and works pretty well for simpler configurations like this.

Last edited:
gabee that's kind of a cool strategy. I'll try and keep that one in mind.

gerben I'm not seeing the last part of your post (add either to get 90). Do you mean add theta to the outer red angle or add alpha to the inner red angle? I don't see how you get 90.

well alpha and the red angle next to it span a 90 deg angle you can see that in the drawing, theta and the red angle in the large triangle must be 90 because the third angle in that large triangle is 90

What is the purpose of finding angles quickly in your head?

The purpose of finding angles quickly in your head is to be able to determine the angle of a given object or shape without the use of any tools or calculations. This skill is useful in various fields such as mathematics, engineering, and navigation.

What are the steps to finding angles quickly in your head?

The steps to finding angles quickly in your head are:

1. Identify the two lines or sides that form the angle.
  2. Estimate the angle by visualizing it in your head.
  3. Use a reference angle, such as 90 degrees, to help you determine the angle more accurately.
  4. Practice and refine your estimation skills to become quicker and more accurate.

How can I improve my ability to find angles quickly in my head?

You can improve your ability to find angles quickly in your head by practicing regularly and using visual aids, such as a protractor, to help you estimate angles more accurately. You can also try breaking down complex angles into simpler ones and using reference angles to help you determine the angle more easily.

Can anyone learn to find angles quickly in their head?

Yes, anyone can learn to find angles quickly in their head with practice and patience. This skill does not require any special abilities or prior knowledge, but rather relies on developing estimation skills and visualizing angles in your mind.

Are there any real-world applications for finding angles quickly in your head?

Yes, there are many real-world applications for finding angles quickly in your head. For example, it can be useful for carpenters and builders when constructing structures, for pilots and navigators when determining flight paths, and for surveyors when measuring land. It can also be helpful in everyday situations, such as determining the angle of a corner or a slope.