Finding Area Between Cone and Sphere

In summary, to find the volume bounded between a sphere of radius a centered at (0,0,0) and a cone z=sqrt(x2 +y2), we can use spherical coordinates to integrate with the bounds 0≤rho≤a, 0≤theta≤2*pi, and pi/4≤phi≤pi for the volume within the cone and sphere. To find the volume outside the cone but within the sphere, the bounds for phi would be -pi/2≤phi≤pi/4.
TranscendArcu

Homework Statement

Find the volume bounded between the sphere of radius a centered at (0,0,0) and the cone z=sqrt(x2 +y2).

The Attempt at a Solution

So, subbing our definition for z into the the equation for a sphere of radius a centered at (0,0,0):

2x2 + 2y2 = a2. Converting to cylindrical coordinates,

2r2 = a2

r = a/sqrt(2). I use the bounds,

0≤z≤a
0≤θ≤2*pi
0≤r≤a/sqrt(2)

I use 1*r as my integrand to find volume and I get a3*pi/2. Am I doing this right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi TranscendArcu! :smile:

You have the upper bound of r as a constant. It isn't in cylindrical coordinates.
Furthermore, you have the upper bound of z as "a", but in that neighbourhood you should have an r that follows the sphere instead of the cone.

I recommend you do your calculations in spherical coordinates.
That's way easier.

Okay. Would my bounds be,

0≤rho≤a
0≤theta≤2*pi
pi/4≤phi≤3*pi/4

I'm not at all certain about any of these bounds since this is the first time I've done spherical coordinates. I'm most concerned about my bounds on phi. How does one actually find these bounds (I was just doing it intuitively, which invariably leads to incorrectness)?

Anyway, I would then integrate with my bounds of (rho)^2 * sin(phi) d(rho)d(theta)d(phi)

To find the bound for phi, pick a point on the cone and calculate the phi that comes with it.

You should note that the definition of your cone implies that z>0.

Btw, your problem does not state which part you should have.
The part within the cone (and the sphere), or the part outside of the cone (and inside the sphere)?

Last edited:
So, Looking at the cone at letting (x,y) be (1,1). I find z=sqrt(2). I also see that (1,1,sqrt(2)) has distance sqrt(2) to the z-axis. If tan(phi) = sqrt(2)/sqrt(2), then phi = pi/4. This means that 0≤phi≤pi/4, right?

If I integrate I find that the volume within both the cone and the sphere is

2*pi*(a^3)/3 * (-sqrt(2)/2 + 1)

Still wrong, or better?

Presumably, if I wanted to find the volume outside the cone, but still within the sphere, I would merely change my bounds on phi. Would I have,

-pi/2≤phi≤pi/4

?

Just checked.
I get the same! :smile:

TranscendArcu said:
Presumably, if I wanted to find the volume outside the cone, but still within the sphere, I would merely change my bounds on phi. Would I have,

-pi/2≤phi≤pi/4

?

Not quite.
What is the range of phi?
And to what axis is it relative?

So I think phi is relative to the z-axis. I suppose that any point on negative z-axis has phi = pi and any point on the positive z-axis has phi = 0. So, I guess that means my new bounds for the other integral would have bounds pi/4≤phi≤pi. Is that right?

Yep!

What is the formula for finding the area between a cone and a sphere?

The formula for finding the area between a cone and a sphere is A = πr(R+h), where r is the radius of the sphere, R is the radius of the cone's base, and h is the height of the cone.

How do you determine the radius of the cone's base and the height of the cone?

The radius of the cone's base can be determined by measuring the distance from the center of the cone to the edge of the base. The height of the cone can be determined by measuring the distance from the base to the tip of the cone.

Can the area between a cone and a sphere be negative?

No, the area between a cone and a sphere cannot be negative. It is always a positive value as it represents the amount of surface area that exists between the two shapes.

What is the significance of finding the area between a cone and a sphere?

Finding the area between a cone and a sphere is important in many real-world applications, such as calculating the amount of paint needed to cover a spherical dome or determining the surface area of a cone-shaped container.

Are there any other methods for finding the area between a cone and a sphere?

Yes, there are other methods for finding the area between a cone and a sphere, such as using integral calculus or using the Pythagorean theorem and trigonometric functions to calculate the individual surface areas of the cone and sphere and then adding them together. However, the formula A = πr(R+h) is the most commonly used method.