Finding B-Field Of Solenoid Slightly Off Axis?

In summary, the magnetic field inside a sufficiently long solenoid is in fact homogeneous, and there is no need to expand anything. However, the need for complicated math and numerical integration techniques arises even on axis for a short finite solenoid since the fields at the ends diverge.
jasonpatel
If you have a solenoid positioned along the z axis...

...how would one find the b-field at slight deviations of x and y?

I have been googling for hours and can't find anything other than the fact that it is very difficult!

Thanks guys!

Science news on Phys.org
This is kind of a hard problem that involves elliptic integrals.
Here is paper that shows you how to do it .

http://ntrs.nasa.gov/search.jsp?R=19980227402

Also this might help.
http://www.netdenizen.com/emagnettest/offaxis/?offaxisloop

Last edited:
Interesting read, but extremely complicated! Haha, i was wondering if there was a way to taylor expand around the z axis with infinitely small deviations from the z axis (i.e. x+ε and y+ε)

Any thoughts?

jasonpatel said:
Interesting read, but extremely complicated! Haha, i was wondering if there was a way to taylor expand around the z axis with infinitely small deviations from the z axis (i.e. x+ε and y+ε)

Any thoughts?
What exactly do you want to expand?
Note that the magnetic field inside a sufficiently long solenoid is in fact homogeneous and there is no need to expand anything, Also the need for complicated math and numerical integration techniques arises even on axis for a short finite solenoid since the fields at the ends diverge.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soleno...ctor_potential_for_finite_continuous_solenoid

Last edited:
Well, let me get a little more specific then.

My actual problem was to find the b-field of a helix coil along the axis of symmetry (z-axis), and I did. The B_x, B_y and B_z components are all a function of z and no other variables.

Then I was asked to find the b-field at very small deviations from the z-axis, x+ε and y+ε. I was also given the advice to do some "Taylor expansion of the field".

But i don't have a clue of how to do that! Any help??

Just to make things very clear I have attached a pdf of the integrals I will be computing. So, I am wondering if I should expand ∅ with a taylor expansion because of the assumption that displacements of ∅ will be very small i.e. (∅ + ε) and (∅ - ε)

I am hoping this expansion of ∅ will create a simple integral and the answer of which will give the b-field in terms of (x,y,z) with the assumption that displacements in the (x,y,z) will be very small (x+ε,y+ε,z+ε).

Does this sound reasonable or am I totally off? Also, how many terms in the taylor expansion should I keep?

Attachments

• example of the integrals.pdf
    92.8 KB · Views: 357
Last edited:

1. What is a solenoid and how does it produce a magnetic field?

A solenoid is a coil of wire that has an electric current running through it. The magnetic field is produced by the flow of electric current through the wire, which creates a circular magnetic field around the wire.

2. How can I determine the strength of the magnetic field of a solenoid that is slightly off axis?

The strength of the magnetic field can be determined using the formula B = μ0nI, where μ0 is the permeability of free space, n is the number of turns per unit length of the solenoid, and I is the current running through the solenoid.

3. What factors can affect the accuracy of measuring the B-field of a solenoid that is slightly off axis?

The accuracy of measuring the B-field can be affected by the distance between the measurement point and the solenoid, the sensitivity of the measuring instrument, and any external magnetic fields that may interfere with the measurement.

4. How can I adjust the position of the solenoid to get the most accurate B-field measurement?

To get the most accurate B-field measurement, the solenoid should be positioned as close to the measurement point as possible and the measurement should be taken along the axis of the solenoid. The measuring instrument should also be calibrated before taking the measurement.

5. What are some practical applications of knowing the B-field of a solenoid that is slightly off axis?

Knowing the B-field of a solenoid can be useful in various scientific and engineering applications such as designing and optimizing electromagnets, studying the behavior of charged particles in magnetic fields, and in medical imaging technologies such as MRI machines.