1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding B-Field Of Solenoid Slightly Off Axis?

1. Dec 2, 2012 #1
    If you have a solenoid positioned along the z axis...

...how would one find the b-field at slight deviations of x and y???

I have been googling for hours and cant find anything other than the fact that it is very difficult!

Thanks guys!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 3, 2012 #2
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
  4. Dec 3, 2012 #3
    Interesting read, but extremely complicated! Haha, i was wondering if there was a way to taylor expand around the z axis with infintely small deviations from the z axis (i.e. x+ε and y+ε)

Any thoughts?

5. Dec 3, 2012 #4
    What exactly do you want to expand?
    Note that the magnetic field inside a sufficiently long solenoid is in fact homogeneous and there is no need to expand anything, Also the need for complicated math and numerical integration techniques arises even on axis for a short finite solenoid since the fields at the ends diverge.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soleno...ctor_potential_for_finite_continuous_solenoid

Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
  6. Dec 7, 2012 #5
    Well, let me get a little more specific then.

My actual problem was to find the b-field of a helix coil along the axis of symmetry (z-axis), and I did. The B_x, B_y and B_z components are all a function of z and no other variables.

Then I was asked to find the b-field at very small deviations from the z-axis, x+ε and y+ε. I was also given the advice to do some "Taylor expansion of the field".

But i dont have a clue of how to do that! Any help??

7. Dec 8, 2012 #6
    Just to make things very clear I have attached a pdf of the integrals I will be computing. So, I am wondering if I should expand ∅ with a taylor expansion because of the assumption that displacements of ∅ will be very small i.e. (∅ + ε) and (∅ - ε)

I am hoping this expansion of ∅ will create a simple integral and the answer of which will give the b-field in terms of (x,y,z) with the assumption that displacements in the (x,y,z) will be very small (x+ε,y+ε,z+ε).

Does this sound reasonable or am I totally off? Also, how many terms in the taylor expansion should I keep?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 8, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook