1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding Binding Energy (B.E.) through B.E. vs Nucleon graph

1. Nov 15, 2008 #1
    Finding Binding Energy (B.E.) through B.E. per nucleon vs Nucleon graph

Hi guys,

Just a quick question here. When provided with the binding energy per nucleon vs nucleon number graph, how do we calculate the finding energy for a specific nuclide?

I thank you for any help in advance.

- Icetray

Edit: You're right, I was given the binding energy per nucleon graph. I guess I didn't realize the typo I made in my first post. Sorry.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2008 #2

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

HINT: How many nucleons does the nucleotide have?

QUESTION: Are you sure that you've not been given a binding energy per nucleon curve?

4. Nov 15, 2008 #3
    Yeah it is. Anyway, just in case you're wondering, it's an A level Physics Question J98/I/29 if you happen to have the book lying around. :-X

Anyway, in the question (if it helps), we are given the binding energy per nucleon curve vs nucleon number and 4 critical values on the graph:

(64, 1.4) and (156, 1.3)

The values for the binding energy per nucleon are in pJ.

Anyway, if you don't mind me asking, what's a nucleotide? :-X

Many thanks for your reply Hootenanny! (:

Edit: You're right, I was given the binding energy per nucleon graph. I guess I didn't realize the typo I made in my first post. Sorry.

5. Nov 15, 2008 #4

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm afraid its been a long time since I've studied A-Level Physics and isn't something that I fondly remember.

Sorry, when I said nucleotide above - I really meant nuclide (we don't want to wonder into organic chem :rolleyes:).

In any case nuclides are just species (groups) of nuclei that are characterised by their nuclear structure. For example, isotopes are nuclides with the same proton number but a different neutron number. See here for more information.

Now to your question, to calculate (an estimate of) the total binding energy for a given nuclide, all one needs to do is
    1. Determine the number of nucleons that the nuclide has
    2. Use the graph to determine the binding energy per nucleon for the nuclide
    3. Multiply the binding energy per nucleon by the total number of nucleons in the nuclide.

Does that make sense?

6. Nov 15, 2008 #5

It makes complete sense! haha Awesome! Thanks a bunch Hootenanny! (: Haha.. I didn't think i'd be that simple actually. :-X Seems that after all these years, you still haven't lost your touch with physics. :-p Kind of worries me though, I study (or well, not any more since friday) organic chem and never heard of that. :-X

Anyway, once again, thanks a whole lot!

7. Nov 15, 2008 #6

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No problem :smile:

I like Physics and in fact do still study it, I just wasn't really a fan of A Level Physics.

Well to put your mind at rest, a nucleotide is an organic compound formed from a basic aromatic ring, Pentose and phosphate group.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?