Finding Binding Energy (B.E.) through B.E. vs Nucleon graph

In summary: What-Is-A-Nucleotide.htm for more information.In summary,Finding Binding Energy (B.E.) through B.E. per nucleon vs Nucleon graph.To calculate the total binding energy for a given nuclide, all one needs to do is:Determine the number of nucleons that the nuclide hasUse the graph to determine the binding energy per nucleon for the nuclideMultiply the binding energy per nucleon by the total number of nucleons in the nuclide.
Icetray
Finding Binding Energy (B.E.) through B.E. per nucleon vs Nucleon graph

Hi guys,

Just a quick question here. When provided with the binding energy per nucleon vs nucleon number graph, how do we calculate the finding energy for a specific nuclide?

I thank you for any help in advance.

- Icetray

Edit: You're right, I was given the binding energy per nucleon graph. I guess I didn't realize the typo I made in my first post. Sorry.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Icetray said:
Hi guys,

Just a quick question here. When provided with the binding energy vs nucleon number graph, how do we calculate the finding energy for a specific nuclide?

I thank you for any help in advance.

- Icetray
HINT: How many nucleons does the nucleotide have?

QUESTION: Are you sure that you've not been given a binding energy per nucleon curve?

Hootenanny said:
HINT: How many nucleons does the nucleotide have?

QUESTION: Are you sure that you've not been given a binding energy per nucleon curve?

Yeah it is. Anyway, just in case you're wondering, it's an A level Physics Question J98/I/29 if you happen to have the book lying around. :-X

Anyway, in the question (if it helps), we are given the binding energy per nucleon curve vs nucleon number and 4 critical values on the graph:

(64, 1.4) and (156, 1.3)

The values for the binding energy per nucleon are in pJ.

Anyway, if you don't mind me asking, what's a nucleotide? :-X

Many thanks for your reply Hootenanny! (:

Edit: You're right, I was given the binding energy per nucleon graph. I guess I didn't realize the typo I made in my first post. Sorry.

Icetray said:
Yeah it is. Anyway, just in case you're wondering, it's an A level Physics Question J98/I/29 if you happen to have the book lying around. :-X

Anyway, in the question (if it helps), we are given the binding energy per nucleon curve vs nucleon number and 4 critical values on the graph:

(64, 1.4) and (156, 1.3)

The values for the binding energy per nucleon are in pJ.

Anyway, if you don't mind me asking, what's a nucleotide? :-X

Many thanks for your reply Hootenanny! (:

I'm afraid its been a long time since I've studied A-Level Physics and isn't something that I fondly remember.

Sorry, when I said nucleotide above - I really meant nuclide (we don't want to wonder into organic chem :rolleyes:).

In any case nuclides are just species (groups) of nuclei that are characterised by their nuclear structure. For example, isotopes are nuclides with the same proton number but a different neutron number. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclide" for more information.

Now to your question, to calculate (an estimate of) the total binding energy for a given nuclide, all one needs to do is
  1. Determine the number of nucleons that the nuclide has
  2. Use the graph to determine the binding energy per nucleon for the nuclide
  3. Multiply the binding energy per nucleon by the total number of nucleons in the nuclide.

Does that make sense?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hootenanny said:
I'm afraid its been a long time since I've studied A-Level Physics and isn't something that I fondly remember.

Sorry, when I said nucleotide above - I really meant nuclide (we don't want to wonder into organic chem :rolleyes:).

In any case nuclides are just species (groups) of nuclei that are characterised by their nuclear structure. For example, isotopes are nuclides with the same proton number but a different neutron number. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclide" for more information.

Now to your question, to calculate (an estimate of) the total binding energy for a given nuclide, all one needs to do is
  1. Determine the number of nucleons that the nuclide has
  2. Use the graph to determine the binding energy per nucleon for the nuclide
  3. Multiply the binding energy per nucleon by the total number of nucleons in the nuclide.

Does that make sense?

It makes complete sense! haha Awesome! Thanks a bunch Hootenanny! (: Haha.. I didn't think i'd be that simple actually. :-X Seems that after all these years, you still haven't lost your touch with physics. :-p Kind of worries me though, I study (or well, not any more since friday) organic chem and never heard of that. :-X

Anyway, once again, thanks a whole lot!

Last edited by a moderator:
Icetray said:
It makes complete sense! haha Awesome! Thanks a bunch Hootenanny! (: Haha.. I didn't think i'd be that simple actually. :-X Seems that after all these years, you still haven't lost your touch with physics. :-p Kind of worries me though, I study (or well, not any more since friday) organic chem and never heard of that. :-X

Anyway, once again, thanks a whole lot!
No problem :smile:

I like Physics and in fact do still study it, I just wasn't really a fan of A Level Physics.

Well to put your mind at rest, a nucleotide is an organic compound formed from a basic aromatic ring, Pentose and phosphate group.

1. What is binding energy?

Binding energy is the energy required to hold the nucleus of an atom together. It is the difference between the mass of an atom and the sum of the masses of its individual protons and neutrons.

2. How is binding energy calculated?

Binding energy can be calculated using the formula E=mc^2, where E is the binding energy, m is the mass defect (difference between the mass of an atom and the sum of its individual particles), and c is the speed of light.

3. What is a B.E. vs Nucleon graph?

A B.E. vs Nucleon graph is a graph that plots the binding energy per nucleon (proton or neutron) against the number of nucleons in an atom. It is used to analyze the stability and energy of different atomic nuclei.

4. How can B.E. vs Nucleon graphs be used to find binding energy?

B.E. vs Nucleon graphs can be used to find binding energy by identifying the highest point on the graph, which represents the most stable nucleus. The binding energy at this point is the maximum binding energy for that particular element.

5. Why is it important to study binding energy through B.E. vs Nucleon graphs?

Studying binding energy through B.E. vs Nucleon graphs helps us understand the stability and energy of atomic nuclei, which is crucial in fields such as nuclear physics and chemistry. It also allows us to predict the behavior of different elements and their isotopes.