Finding Coefficient of Friction

In summary, the coefficient of friction of the ice was found to be 0.051 based on the given information about the girl's velocity and the distance she glided to a stop. This was calculated using the formula Ff=(mu)Fn, where Fn is equal to the gravitational acceleration of the ice skater.
tod88
Finding Coefficient of Friction [solved]

Homework Statement

A girl is ice skating at 10 m/s. She stops skating and glides to a stop in 100m. Find the coefficient of friction of the ice.

Homework Equations

uk = Fk / Fn
F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the acceleration to be -1/2 m/s^2 since

Vf^2 = Vi^2 + 2a * displacement
so
-100 / 200 = a.

Since it didn't give me her weight I don't know how to find gravitational force on her. If the surface were frictionless her acceleration would be zero.

Since her acceleration isn't zero and it takes her 20 seconds to come to a stop, I know that there must be a uk and that it also must be very small. Without her weight, however, I'm lost. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
you know the gravitational acceleration.

Ff=(mu)Fn

Fn=Fg

An=Ag

take out the masses, since they are constant

Substitute the formulas for Fk and Fn into the formula for [tex]\mu[/tex]

fliinghier said:
you know the gravitational acceleration.

Ff=(mu)Fn

Fn=Fg

An=Ag

take out the masses, since they are constant

Okay, so

Ff=(mu)9.81 m/s^2

and the acceleration of the skater is -1/2 m/s^2.

I'm not sure what the An = Ag means. Normal acceleration equals acceleration due to gravity?

Does this mean that if force is mass * acceleration and the masses are the same I can just do Ff=(mu)*Fn (letting the mass be 1)

(1)(-1/2 m/s^2) = (mu)(1)(9.81 m/s^2)

SO then (mu) = 0.051?

Last edited:
As I said, write out the full formula. You will see that the masses cancel, leaving just the accelerations.

Your calculations appear to be correct to me.

What is the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction is a measure of the amount of force required to overcome the resistance to motion between two surfaces in contact with each other. It is a dimensionless quantity and is denoted by the symbol μ (mu).

How is the coefficient of friction calculated?

The coefficient of friction is calculated by dividing the force required to move an object over a surface by the weight of the object. This can be expressed as μ = F/W, where μ is the coefficient of friction, F is the force required to move the object, and W is the weight of the object.

What factors affect the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction is affected by several factors including the smoothness of the surfaces in contact, the weight of the object, the type of material the surfaces are made of, and the presence of any lubricants or contaminants.

Why is the coefficient of friction important?

The coefficient of friction is important because it helps us understand how two surfaces will interact with each other and how much force is needed to keep an object in motion. It is also important in engineering and design to ensure that surfaces have appropriate friction levels for safety and efficiency.

How can the coefficient of friction be measured?

The coefficient of friction can be measured using various methods such as the inclined plane method, the block-on-block method, or the pull/push method. These methods involve measuring the force needed to move an object over a surface and using it to calculate the coefficient of friction.