Finding coefficient of kinetic friction given mass & horizontal force?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the coefficient of kinetic friction for a wooden box being pushed across a floor at constant velocity. It includes a typo correction and a discussion about the formula for frictional force. The final answer is determined to be approximately -0.26. There is also a question about how the answer would change if the force of friction were to accelerate at a rate of 3m/s^2, but this is deemed irrelevant as forces of friction do not accelerate.
pebbles

Homework Statement

You use 30N (**Not 25 N, that was a typo) to slide a wooden box that is 12 kg across a floor at constant velocity. What is the coefficient of kinetic fricition?

Homework Equations

Ff=coeff of kinetic friction (mu k) m*g
?? not sure.

The Attempt at a Solution

coeff of kinetic friction=12 kg/30N=.4.

That answer is obviously incorrect, but I don't know what to do.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
A body moves across a floor at constant velocity, when you overcome the frictional force. Your formula for frictional force is correct. From where did you get 30 N?

oh oops. that was a typo. 25 N should be 30 N.

.4 is correct?

No. What is the frictional force?

hm. I'm looking through my textbook and i can't find a formula for frictional force and i can't remember how to get it...a hint please?

well, wait Ffriction=muK*m*g.

would it just be 12 kg * 9.8 m/s^2?

Ffriction=25N. Since that is what's producing the force you are pushing. mg is the normal force. The coefficient of friction, if memory serves, is related to a ratio between those two numbers.

Dick, actually, it's not 25N, that was a typo. Question is actually 30 N.

so, Ff=30N-->
coefficient of kinetic friction=30 N/12.0 kg * 9.80 m/s^2= .26.

Am I right?

I thank everyone for their input. :]

Well, yeah. Ffriction/Fnormal=mu_kinetic. Right?

pebbles said:

Homework Statement

You use 30N (**Not 25 N, that was a typo) to slide a wooden box that is 12 kg across a floor at constant velocity. What is the coefficient of kinetic fricition?

Homework Equations

Ff=coeff of kinetic friction (mu k) m*g
?? not sure.

The Attempt at a Solution

coeff of kinetic friction=12 kg/30N=.4.

That answer is obviously incorrect, but I don't know what to do.
Thanks in advance.

Maybe use F=MA??

Hi guys!

for a body at rest the friction acting on it is called static friction! and when the body starts to move it possesses Kinetic Friction . The max value to which static friction can increase before the body starts relative motion is called limiting friction.. Hence when a body is placed in the horizontal surface it exerts a force of its own wt downwards which is balanced by the normal reaction force ! N=mg. for dis condition fms=u*N, where u is the coefficient of friction , actually its mew i dnt knw where i can put dt symbol in ma keyboard. bt N=mg so coeff of friction u= fms/mg;

Dis is d main formulae .. i believe dt it would have cleared ur doubts!

Hi Guys, tried looking for info about the below topic but couldn't find anything. We did an experiment at school ( Fliuds using the TE 64 aparatus) need to conduct a research the friction factor and explain the differences with the pipe coefficient

Possibility solution

For your prob, I attempted to find the solution and found it is equal to -0.2551020408 ~ -0.26 (if you want to round it into 2-digits)
So this is how I found this answer
Given: 30 N = F ( some forces)
12 kg = m (mass)
so gravity force, F(g) = 12 kg x 9.8 m/s^2 = 117.6 N
Since from the problem said you applied 30 N to slide the wooden box, which there is an arrow showing the box moving forward, but at the same time there is also another force moving backward, equally, as well, friction (Newton 3rd Law).
So F(f) = -30 N
Since F(f) = μ * N => -30 = μ * 117.6 => μ = -30/ 117.6 = -0.2551020408 or -0.26

how would the answer change if the force of friction accelerates at a rate of 3m/s^2

physicsisnotfun said:
how would the answer change if the force of friction accelerates at a rate of 3m/s^2

Forces of friction don't accelerate. You'll have to state the problem much more clearly than that. Also suggest you start a new thread rather than resurrecting an old one.

Related to Finding coefficient of kinetic friction given mass & horizontal force?

1. What is the formula for finding the coefficient of kinetic friction given mass and horizontal force?

The formula for finding the coefficient of kinetic friction is μk = F/mg, where μk is the coefficient of kinetic friction, F is the horizontal force applied, m is the mass of the object, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

2. Can the coefficient of kinetic friction be greater than 1?

Yes, the coefficient of kinetic friction can be greater than 1. This means that the friction force is greater than the force applied, making it difficult for the object to move.

3. How does the mass of an object affect the coefficient of kinetic friction?

The mass of an object does not directly affect the coefficient of kinetic friction. However, a heavier object may have a larger normal force, which can increase the friction force and result in a higher coefficient of kinetic friction.

4. Is the coefficient of kinetic friction the same for all surfaces?

No, the coefficient of kinetic friction varies depending on the surfaces in contact. Different materials have different surface textures and properties, which can affect the friction between them.

5. Can the coefficient of kinetic friction change over time?

Yes, the coefficient of kinetic friction can change over time. Factors such as wear and tear on the surfaces or changes in environmental conditions can alter the coefficient of kinetic friction between two surfaces.