Finding Cosets of Subgroups in Groups

In summary, the conversation discussed the problem of finding the orders of the group G and subgroup H, using Lagrange's theorem. The notational mistakes made by the person caused some errors in their attempt at a solution, but the correct orders can be found by fixing these mistakes. The conversation also mentioned listing the elements of H, which the person had not done in their attempt.
roam

Homework Statement

[PLAIN]http://img641.imageshack.us/img641/8448/63794724.gif

The Attempt at a Solution

Firstly, how do I list the elements of H?

According to Lagrange's theorem if H is a subgroup of G then the number of distinct left (right) cosets of H in G is |G|\|H|.

So I must find the orders of G and H:

Since [tex]U(5)={1,2,3,4})[/tex] and [tex]\mathbb{Z}_4 = \{ 1,2,3,4 \})[/tex], the order of

[tex]G=U(5) \oplus \mathbb{Z}_4 = (1,1),(1,2),(1,3),(1,4), (2,1),(2,2),(2,3),(2,4),(3,1),(3,2),(3,3),(3,4),(4,1),(4,2),(4,3),(4,4)[/tex]

So G has order 16.

H is generated by the element (4,3), where 4 is an element of U(5) and 3 is from Z4. I know that [tex]| \left\langle (4,3) \right\rangle | = |(4,3)|[/tex]. So I think

|H|=|(4,3)|=lcm(|4|,|3|)=12

Going back to lagrange's theorem |G|\|H|=16\12=4\3

But how could the number of cosets be a fraction? Could anyone please show me what I did wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Three notational problems:

1. What is [tex]U(5)[/tex]? Is it the group [tex](\mathbb{Z}/(5))^\times[/tex], the multiplicative group of units of the integers modulo 5?

2. If [tex]\mathbb{Z}_4[/tex] represents the additive group of integers modulo 4, it is conventional to choose representatives [tex]\{0, 1, 2, 3\}[/tex] rather than [tex]\{1, 2, 3, 4\}[/tex].

3. The order of an element of a group (as opposed to the order of a group) is not written with absolute value bars. Some people write [tex]o(g)[/tex] for the order of an element [tex]g[/tex], which as you know equals the order [tex]|\langle g\rangle|[/tex] of the subgroup it generates. I think this notational confusion caused your mistakes below.

Now, supposing I've guessed correctly about your notational issues, you have made two mistakes: the order of [tex]4[/tex] in [tex]U(5) = (\mathbb{Z}/(5))^\times[/tex] is not [tex]4[/tex], and the order of [tex]3[/tex] in [tex]\mathbb{Z}_4[/tex] is not [tex]3[/tex]. Figure out what the correct orders are, and that should solve your problem.

You also haven't listed the elements of [tex]H = \langle (4, 3) \rangle[/tex], which the question asked for.

1. What is a coset in a group?

A coset in a group is a subset of the group that is formed by multiplying each element of a subgroup by a fixed element in the group. It is a way to partition a group into smaller, equal-sized subsets.

2. How do you find cosets of a subgroup in a group?

To find cosets of a subgroup in a group, you can use the left coset formula. This formula states that for a group G and a subgroup H, the left coset of H in G is given by gH = {gh : h ∈ H}, where g is an element of G. Essentially, you multiply each element of the subgroup by a fixed element of the group to form the coset.

3. What is the order of a coset in a group?

The order of a coset in a group is equal to the order of the subgroup. This means that the number of elements in a coset is the same as the number of elements in the subgroup that it is formed from.

4. How do cosets help in understanding the structure of a group?

Cosets are useful in understanding the structure of a group because they allow us to break down a group into smaller, more manageable subsets. This can help us to analyze the properties and relationships between different elements in a group. Cosets also help to identify normal subgroups, which are important in group theory.

5. Can a coset be a subgroup?

No, a coset cannot be a subgroup. While a coset may have the same number of elements as a subgroup, it does not necessarily contain the identity element or have closure under the group operation. Therefore, it does not meet the requirements to be considered a subgroup.