Finding current in a parallel circuit

In summary, the problem is to determine the current in the circuit shown in the figure, which includes a combination of current sources and resistors. The approach suggested is to write a KCL equation at the top node and use control variables for dependent sources in terms of the unknown node voltage. However, the resulting equation only gives V1=0 as a solution, leaving the problem unresolved.
rms5643

Homework Statement

Determine IL in the circuit in the Figure.
Figure: http://i.imgur.com/PvKXtjX.png

V1 = ?
Ix = ?
IL = ?
3*Ix current source pointing downwards
7mA current source pointing upwards
7mA current source pointing downwards
7kOhm resistor
1kOhm resistor

Homework Equations

Ohm's law, KCL

The Attempt at a Solution

The hint to the problem told me to: "Write a KCL equation at the top node and express any control variables for dependent sources in terms of the unknown node voltage."

So, I wrote the equation and I got:

V1/5kΩ+3(V1/5kΩ)+V1/7kΩ+V1/1kΩ=0

I'm not quite sure where to go from here or how this form would be useful to me. Any pointers on where I should go from here? Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks like V1=0. Nothing else solves that equation.

1. How do you calculate the current in a parallel circuit?

To calculate the current in a parallel circuit, you can use Ohm's Law which states that current (I) is equal to voltage (V) divided by resistance (R). This means that the total current in a parallel circuit is equal to the sum of the individual branch currents.

2. What is the difference between series and parallel circuits?

In a series circuit, the components are connected in a single loop and the same current flows through each component. In a parallel circuit, the components are connected in separate branches and the total current is divided among them. This means that the current in a parallel circuit is not equal throughout, unlike in a series circuit.

3. How does the total resistance affect the current in a parallel circuit?

The total resistance in a parallel circuit is lower than the individual resistances of the components. This means that the total current in a parallel circuit will be higher than the current in any individual branch. The more branches there are in a parallel circuit, the lower the total resistance and the higher the total current.

4. What happens to the current when a component is added or removed from a parallel circuit?

When a component is added to a parallel circuit, the total current will increase because there is now an additional path for the current to flow through. On the other hand, when a component is removed, the total current will decrease because there is now less resistance in the circuit.

5. How do you measure the current in a parallel circuit?

The current in a parallel circuit can be measured using an ammeter. To get an accurate measurement, the ammeter should be placed in series with the component or branch that you want to measure the current in. It is also important to make sure that the ammeter has a low resistance to avoid altering the current in the circuit.