Maximum Current in LC Circuit: Solving for the Peak Amplitude

In summary, the maximum current in the circuit after connecting the capacitor and inductor together is 871 milliamps. This can be found by equating the energies stored in the capacitor and inductor at certain instants of time during the oscillations. This is done using the equations: ½~C V_{max}^2 = ½~L I_{max}^2 and I_{max} = V_{max} \sqrt{C/L}.
ttiger2k7
[SOLVED] Finding current in LC circuit

Homework Statement

A [itex]18.0 \mu {\rm F}[/itex] capacitor is placed across a [itex]22.5 {\rm V}[/itex] battery for a few seconds and is then connected across a [itex]12.0 \rm mH[/itex] inductor that has no appreciable resistance.

After connecting the capacitor and inductor together, find the maximum current in the circuit.

Homework Equations

[tex]i=-\omega*Q*sin(\omega*t+\varphi)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

This sounds like a pretty simple question and I think I'm complicating it too much. Does this have anything to do with finding the angular frequency. I know current is maximum when capacitor potential and induced emf is zero. But I don't know what the relationship using an equation. Do I have to derive one? I can't seem to find one.

Physics news on Phys.org
The trick here is to realize that during the oscillations that ensue when the charged capacitor is connected to the inductor, at certain instants of time the voltage on the capacitor will cross through zero volts. That leaves zero energy stored in the capacitor at those instants. So where did the energy go? It all ended up stored in the inductor's magnetic field thanks to the current flowing through it.

Equating the maximal stored energies:

##½~C V_{max}^2 = ½~L I_{max}^2##

##I_{max} = V_{max} \sqrt{C/L}##

##I_{max} = 871~mA##

Likes CrazyNinja

FAQ: Maximum Current in LC Circuit: Solving for the Peak Amplitude

1. What is an LC circuit?

An LC circuit is a type of electrical circuit that consists of an inductor (L) and a capacitor (C) connected together. These two components together create an oscillating current that can store and release energy. LC circuits are commonly used in electronic devices such as radios, televisions, and computers.

2. How does an LC circuit work?

An LC circuit works by storing energy in the form of an electric field between the capacitor's plates and a magnetic field in the inductor. When the circuit is turned on, the capacitor charges and the inductor builds up a magnetic field. As the capacitor discharges, the magnetic field decreases, and the energy is transferred back to the capacitor. This back and forth transfer of energy creates an oscillating current.

3. What is resonance in an LC circuit?

Resonance in an LC circuit occurs when the oscillating current reaches its maximum amplitude. This happens when the natural frequency of the circuit, determined by the values of the inductor and capacitor, matches the frequency of the applied voltage. At resonance, the energy transfer between the capacitor and inductor is most efficient, and the current reaches its peak.

4. How do you find the current in an LC circuit?

To find the current in an LC circuit, you can use the equation I = V/R, where I is the current, V is the voltage, and R is the resistance. In an LC circuit, there is no resistance, so the current is determined solely by the voltage and the properties of the inductor and capacitor. You can also use mathematical models or circuit analysis techniques to determine the current in a more complex LC circuit.

5. How can you change the current in an LC circuit?

The current in an LC circuit can be changed by altering the properties of the inductor or capacitor, or by changing the frequency of the applied voltage. For example, increasing the inductance or capacitance will decrease the frequency at which resonance occurs, and therefore change the current. Additionally, changing the voltage source or adding a resistor to the circuit can also affect the current.

Back