Finding distance given only initial velocity

In summary, the conversation discusses the maximum distance a clown can travel when shot from a cannon at a constant speed. The knowns and equations for solving the problem are also mentioned, and the correct angle to achieve the maximum distance is determined through derivation. The conversation ends with the problem being successfully solved.
mistabry

Homework Statement

In a circus act, clowns are shot from a cannon at a constant speed vo = 11.1 m/s. The angle of launch may be varied. What is the maximum distance D that a clown may travel, if the landing pad is at the same height as the mouth of the cannon?

Knowns:
Vo=11.1 m/s
x = 0
y = 0
V2=0
y2=0

Homework Equations

Vx= Vo*cos(theta)
Vy= Vo*sin(theta)
Δy= Vosin(theta)Δt + .5aΔt^2

The Attempt at a Solution

So I first solved for Δt,
Δy = 0 = (11.1)sin(theta) + (.5)(-9.8)Δt
Δt = (2(11.1)sin(theta))/9.8

Next I attempted to solve for Δx,
Δx = (11.1)cos(theta) * Δt

Substituting for Δt,
Δx = (11.1)cos(theta) * (2(11.1)sin(theta))/9.8

And I got lost D;!

Physics news on Phys.org
You almost got it!
For the equation of the horizontal distance you got, you need to find when is it maximal.
Getting maximal and minimal points is through derivation. If you do derive, what is the angle that gives you the maximal distance?

Wanna know something funny? Common sense tells me that angle 45 shoots the farthest... I can't believe I didn't see it before. d/dx (Δx) = 0 >.< I didn't see that before. Thank you! I solved my problem :]

Related to Finding distance given only initial velocity

What is "Finding distance given only initial velocity"?

"Finding distance given only initial velocity" is a physics problem that involves calculating the distance an object has traveled without knowing its acceleration or time. It is commonly used in introductory physics courses to demonstrate the use of the equation d = v0t, where d is distance, v0 is initial velocity, and t is time.

How do you solve for distance given only initial velocity?

To solve for distance given only initial velocity, you can use the equation d = v0t. First, determine the value of v0, which is the object's starting velocity. Then, determine the time that has passed, t. Finally, multiply v0 and t to find the distance traveled.

Can you find the distance without knowing the acceleration or time?

Yes, you can find the distance without knowing the acceleration or time if you are given the object's initial velocity. This is because the equation d = v0t only requires the initial velocity and time to calculate the distance.

What units should be used for initial velocity and time when solving for distance?

The units for initial velocity, v0, are typically meters per second (m/s). The units for time, t, are typically seconds (s). When using these units in the equation d = v0t, the resulting unit for distance, d, will be in meters (m).

Can this problem be used in real-world scenarios?

Yes, the concept of finding distance given only initial velocity can be applied in real-world scenarios. For example, if a car is traveling at a constant speed of 60 miles per hour (mph) for 2 hours, the distance it travels can be calculated using the equation d = v0t as d = (60 mph) x (2 hours) = 120 miles.