Finding Electric Field, Potential, and Final Velocity

In summary, we calculated the electric field at point A to be 52000 N/C in the positive y-direction by summing the individual electric fields from each point charge and taking into account their directions. We also found the potential at point A to be -6750 V. It is important to carefully consider the signs and directions of these values when solving problems involving multiple point charges.
PrincessYams

Homework Statement

[/B]
Three point charges are arranged as shown here: http://puu.sh/ltvxF.png
a. Find the electric field at point A. (Give as vector, either as i and j or magnitude and direction.)
b. Find the potential at point A.
c. If an electron is placed at point A and released, what is the magnitude of its final velocity?

2. Homework Equations

a. E = (kq)/ r2, Ey = Esin(theta), Ex = Ecos(theta)
b. V = (kq) / r
c. v = (sqrt(2P/m))

CONSTANTS:
k = 8.99 * 109
me = 9.11 * 10-31 kg

The Attempt at a Solution

a. For this one, I calculated all the electric fields from each point. For the left negative charge I got E = 8.9 * 104, which I calculated to be Ex = 72000 and Ey = 54000. Because the right negative charge has the same charge, the electric field is the same. So, the electric fields are the same everywhere EXCEPT the x-component because that is negative, so they cancel out. Currently, I have a Ey = 72000.
For the positive charge, I got E = -5.6 * 104. (I said it was negative because it is going in the negative-y direction?).
So I added all these and got 138400 upwards. My teacher said this was wrong though, where?

b. I took this piece by piece. For the left negative charge, I got -4500 ((k * -2.5 * 108)/.05). For the right negative charge, I got the same thing (same charge and distance). For the middle positive charge, I got +2250 ((k * 1 * 10-8)/ .04). Adding these together, I got 6750 V. Which, again, my teacher said was wrong. I looked it up and found no other way to do it. Even in my notes, it says to do it this way. Where did I do it wrong?

c. I did not really get where to start. I looked up in some other forums around here (will put a link when i find it) and I kept calculating it to be over the speed of light. After b is fixed, I can probably do this one. So ignore it for now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello PrincessYams, Welcome to Physics Forums!

PrincessYams said:

Homework Statement

[/B]
Three point charges are arranged as shown here: http://puu.sh/ltvxF.png
a. Find the electric field at point A. (Give as vector, either as i and j or magnitude and direction.)
b. Find the potential at point A.
c. If an electron is placed at point A and released, what is the magnitude of its final velocity?

2. Homework Equations

a. E = (kq)/ r2, Ey = Esin(theta), Ex = Ecos(theta)
b. V = (kq) / r
c. v = (sqrt(2P/m))

CONSTANTS:
k = 8.99 * 109
me = 9.11 * 10-31 kg

The Attempt at a Solution

a. For this one, I calculated all the electric fields from each point. For the left negative charge I got E = 8.9 * 104, which I calculated to be Ex = 72000 and Ey = 54000. Because the right negative charge has the same charge, the electric field is the same. So, the electric fields are the same everywhere EXCEPT the x-component because that is negative, so they cancel out. Currently, I have a Ey = 72000.
The magnitude looks okay. What is the direction?
For the positive charge, I got E = -5.6 * 104. (I said it was negative because it is going in the negative-y direction?).
Yes, the positive charge will create a field that is directed downwards at point A.
So I added all these and got 138400 upwards. My teacher said this was wrong though, where?
Check that you're summing the values taking into account their directions. It's a good idea to sketch in the field vectors from the individual charges on your diagram to guide and confirm your math.
b. I took this piece by piece. For the left negative charge, I got -4500 ((k * -2.5 * 108)/.05). For the right negative charge, I got the same thing (same charge and distance). For the middle positive charge, I got +2250 ((k * 1 * 10-8)/ .04). Adding these together, I got 6750 V. Which, again, my teacher said was wrong. I looked it up and found no other way to do it. Even in my notes, it says to do it this way. Where did I do it wrong?
What is the sign of the potential at A?

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes PrincessYams
gneill said:
Check that you're summing the values taking into account their directions. It's a good idea to sketch in the field vectors from the individual charges on your diagram to guide and confirm your math.
Oh! That is what I did. Sketching the diagram really did help. So now the Ex is gone. It was the 5400 + 5400 + (-5600) I was supposed to do. So I got 52000 upwards/positive y-direction? Thanks! I should mark these more clearly in my work and check over small mistakes like that.

gneill said:
What is the sign of the potential at A?
I forgot Potential can be negative! Thanks. So would it just be V = - 6750 V?

PrincessYams said:
Oh! That is what I did. Sketching the diagram really did help. So now the Ex is gone. It was the 5400 + 5400 + (-5600) I was supposed to do. So I got 52000 upwards/positive y-direction? Thanks! I should mark these more clearly in my work and check over small mistakes like that.
Those "5400" values look like suspiciously x-component values for the negative charges, but a power of 10 too small (values had a 104 associated with them when you showed your work). Check that you're using the right trig function to determine your components. (Hint: You can use the legs of the triangles directly to calculate the trig ratios).
I forgot Potential can be negative! Thanks. So would it just be V = - 6750 V?
That looks better!

gneill said:
Those "5400" values look like suspiciously x-component values for the negative charges, but a power of 10 too small (values had a 104 associated with them when you showed your work). Check that you're using the right trig function to determine your components. (Hint: You can use the legs of the triangles directly to calculate the trig ratios).

Oh, yeah oops. That was a typo. To clarify what I got (for my sake):
E1 = 89900 (to get the x- and y-components I multiplied this by cos(36.9) and sin(36.9) respectively)
E1x = 72000
E1y = 54000
E2x = -72000
E2y = 54000
E3x = 0
E3y = -56000

All x-values = 0
All y-values = 52000

Thanks for all the help on this!

I think you've reversed the trig functions. That angle, 36.9°, would be an angle at the bottom of a 3-4-5 triangle in your figure. For the y-component of ##E_1## or ##E_2## you're looking for their projection onto the vertical leg of the triangle. That would make the desired trig function a cosine:

Fig1.png

I don't understand. Did I mix up the trig functions so that it is SUPPOSED to be:
E1 = 89900
E1x = 89900 * sin(36.9) = 54000
E1y = 89900 * cos(36.9) = 72000
E2x = -89900 * sin(36.9) = -54000
E2y = 89900 * cos(36.9) = 72000
E3x = 0
E3y = -56000

Or am I using the wrong angle entirely?[/SUB]

PrincessYams said:
I don't understand. Did I mix up the trig functions so that it is SUPPOSED to be:
E1 = 89900
E1x = 89900 * sin(36.9) = 54000
E1y = 89900 * cos(36.9) = 72000
E2x = -89900 * sin(36.9) = -54000
E2y = 89900 * cos(36.9) = 72000
E3x = 0
E3y = -56000
That looks better!
Or am I using the wrong angle entirely?[/SUB]
You can use either angle in the triangle, but you need to use the appropriate trig function to pull out the required component.

For example, in the diagram that I posted you can see that the projection of the ##E_1## vector onto the vertical 4 cm leg of the triangle requires the cosine of the angle θ. If you had chosen to use the other angle (which is about 53°) then you would need to use the sine to find that vertical component.

gneill said:
For example, in the diagram that I posted you can see that the projection of the E1E_1 vector onto the vertical 4 cm leg of the triangle requires the cosine of the angle θ. If you had chosen to use the other angle (which is about 53°) then you would need to use the sine to find that vertical component.

Oh, I see. The example I was looking at must have done something like that and I didn't notice. I see now.

gneill said:
That looks better!

Thanks for all the help!
72000 + 72000 - 56000 = 88000

Finding the final velocity should just be:
v = √ (2Q(change in V)) / m)
?

PrincessYams said:
72000 + 72000 - 56000 = 88000
Sure. Be sure to include units on results! Electric field is usually specified in N/C or V/m.
Finding the final velocity should just be:
v = √ (2Q(change in V)) / m)
?
Yup.

Likes PrincessYams

1. How do I calculate the electric field at a given point?

The electric field at a given point is calculated by dividing the force acting on a test charge by the magnitude of the charge. The formula is E = F/q, where E is the electric field, F is the force, and q is the magnitude of the test charge.

2. What is the equation for finding the electric potential at a point?

The electric potential at a point is calculated using the equation V = kq/r, where V is the electric potential, k is the Coulomb's constant, q is the magnitude of the charge, and r is the distance from the point to the charge.

3. How do I find the final velocity of a charged particle in an electric field?

The final velocity of a charged particle in an electric field can be calculated using the equation v = (qE/m)t, where v is the final velocity, q is the charge of the particle, E is the electric field, m is the mass of the particle, and t is the time the particle spends in the electric field.

4. Can the direction of the electric field affect the final velocity of a charged particle?

Yes, the direction of the electric field can affect the final velocity of a charged particle. The particle will accelerate in the direction of the electric field, so if the field is directed towards the particle, its velocity will increase. Conversely, if the field is directed away from the particle, its velocity will decrease.

5. What is the difference between electric field and electric potential?

Electric field is a measure of the force that a charged particle would experience at a given point. Electric potential, on the other hand, is a measure of the potential energy that a charged particle would have at that point. In other words, electric field is a vector quantity, while electric potential is a scalar quantity.