Finding elongation of bar and maximum tensile stress

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 4K views
Blugga
Messages
22
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



wk1xkz.jpg

L=52 in
A=2.76 in^2
E=10.4*10^6 psi

Homework Equations



σ=F/A
ε=σ/E
δ=εL

The Attempt at a Solution



4) σAB = (3P)/A
ε=(3P)/(AE)
δAB=(3PL)/(6AE) → δAB=(PL)/(2AE)
solving for P
P=[0.17*2*2.76*(10.4*106)]/52 → P=187680 lb → P=187.7 kip

5) Because AB and CD are in tension i did this...
σmax=σAB+σCD
σmax=[(-2P)/A]+[P/A]
solving for P and using 5000psi for σmax i get
P=-5000*2.76 → P=13800 lb → P=13.8kip

I tried looking for an example in the book to follow, but they were completely different. I hope i didn't mess up too bad.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
afreiden said:
Don't add the stresses

So i should only do one of them? σmax=σAB
or do the entire bar?
Can I get a better hint than that?
 
I confirmed that I did part 4 right. I still need help with part 5. Anyone?
 
I made a mistake on part 5. I plugged in the value of σBC (-2P/A) in place for σAB (3P/A) in σmax=σAB+σCD

Now i get σmax=3450 lb or 3.45 kip. But still don't know if it's right.
 
Part 5:

You correctly determined the stresses in the 3 sections of the bar.

AB = 3P/A
BC = -2P/A
CD = P/A

So, you already know that the maximum tensile stress in the bar is 3P/A. This cannot exceed 5000 psi = 5 ksi

chet
 
So what I'm getting from this is that the maximum tension occurs at AB so I only set σmax=σAB and don't add them with the other member in tension.

Thanks :)
 
Blugga said:
So what I'm getting from this is that the maximum tension occurs at AB so I only set σmax=σAB and don't add them with the other member in tension.

Thanks :)

Yes. That's right. The other sections will be less prone to failure.