Finding Energy Levels in Infinite Wells: College Physics 2

• Thread starter Noreturn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Infinite
In summary, the conversation is discussing the topic of finding energy levels in infinite wells. The question is which formula would be used for this and what type of question would be seen on a Physics 2 college test. The suggested equation is n^2h^2/8mL^2 and it is important to memorize this formula and understand the concept of ground state and zero point energy.
Noreturn
1. The problem statement, all variables andgiven/known data
Know how to find energy levels in infinite wells

Homework Equations

Good Question

Is it: n^2h^2/8mL^2

3. The Attempt at a Solution

So I am taking a test later today, and it was brought to my attention "know how to find energy levels in infinite wells". I started looking through my book and there is like 50 equations on it. Which formula do you think would be used given that type of info? Or what type of question would I see?

This is for a Physics 2 in College.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure if your post is suitable for the homework subforum, but to offer immediate guidance, you have to memorize the fomula for the energy levels and know what ground state, first excited state, etc. means. You also need to know that the ground state corresponds to ##n=0## and what the zero point energy means.

1. What is an infinite well in the context of energy levels?

An infinite well is a theoretical model used in physics to describe a confined space in which a particle can move freely. In this model, the potential energy within the well is constant and the particle is unable to escape the well due to barriers on all sides.

2. How do we find the energy levels in an infinite well?

The energy levels in an infinite well can be found by solving the Schrödinger equation, which is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics. This equation takes into account the size and shape of the well, as well as the mass and potential energy of the particle.

3. What is the significance of energy levels in infinite wells?

Energy levels in infinite wells are important because they help us understand how particles behave in confined spaces and how their energy is quantized. This concept is crucial in understanding the behavior of atoms, molecules, and other quantum systems.

4. Can the energy levels in an infinite well be changed?

The energy levels in an infinite well are determined by the size and shape of the well, as well as the properties of the particle. Therefore, they cannot be changed unless these factors are altered. However, the energy levels can be shifted by applying external forces or changing the potential energy of the particle.

5. How does the number of energy levels change as the size of the infinite well increases?

The number of energy levels in an infinite well increases as the size of the well increases. This is because a larger well allows for more possible standing waves, which correspond to different energy levels. As the well becomes larger, the spacing between energy levels also decreases, resulting in a denser spectrum of energy levels.