1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding fluid flow rate in a pipe, given pressure difference, length, and diameter

1. Nov 8, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Oil flowing through a pipe, measured to be 135kPa 15m from the end and 88kPa discharging from the end. The diameter of the pipe is 1.5cm, the density of the oil is 876kg/m^3, and the dynamic viscosity is 0.24kg/m*s.
    Find flow rate for:
    a) horizontal
    b) inclined 8 degrees
    c) declined 8 degrees

2. Relevant equations

[tex] Re=V*D*\rho / \mu [/tex]
    [tex] \Delta P = h_L * \rho *g [/tex]
    [tex] h_L = f*(L/D)*(V^2)/(2*g) [/tex]
    [tex] f=64/Re [/tex] (laminar flow only)

where:
    Re = Reynolds Number
    rho = density[tex] f=64/Re [/tex]
    mu = dynamic viscosity
    delta P = pressure loss
    h_L = head loss
    L = length
    D = diameter
    f = Darcy friction coefficient

3. The attempt at a solution
    I solved for Re in terms of V, and for V in terms of f, and then I guessed f=0.0150 for a starting point. I got an Re of 13.8, indicating laminar flow, so I used [tex] f=64/Re [/tex] and iterated. However, my answer finally converged on f=12734.79 which doesn't look at all right. Am I doing something wrong?
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2009 #2
    Re: finding fluid flow rate in a pipe, given pressure difference, length, and diamete

Probably unit related. The equation for delta_p(your second equation) will have units in pascal.

4. Nov 10, 2009 #3

stewartcs

Science Advisor

Re: finding fluid flow rate in a pipe, given pressure difference, length, and diamete

You need to show your work so we can give you guidance.

CS

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook