Finding flux from cube

• Thread starter justin15501
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cube Flux
In summary: How do you describe the area over which you integrate? ... in addition to being normal to ##\ \hat{j}\ ##, is it also perpendicular to ##\hat{j}##?It is normal to both the x-y and x-z planes.
justin15501

Homework Statement

Consider an electric field E = 2x i - 3y j. The coordinate x and y are measured in meters and the electric field is in N/C. What is the magnitude of the flux of this field through a square whose corners are located at (x,y,z) = (0,2,0), (2,2,0), (2,2,2), (0,2,2)?

Homework Equations

Our proffesor gave us the answer of 24. He's been wrong before so I'm not sure. The choices are 6, 12, 24, 0, 48.

The Attempt at a Solution

https://gyazo.com/bb9e4506b7124f7704ab9e0393f6d7f8
I did this in math cad. I've never done double integrals and I need some help. Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
justin15501 said:

Homework Statement

Consider an electric field E = 2x i - 3y j. The coordinate x and y are measured in meters and the electric field is in N/C. What is the magnitude of the flux of this field through a square whose corners are located at (x,y,z) = (0,2,0), (2,2,0), (2,2,0), (0,2,2)?

Homework Equations

Our proffesor gave us the answer of 24. He's been wrong before so I'm not sure. The choices are 6, 12, 24, 0, 48.

The Attempt at a Solution

https://gyazo.com/bb9e4506b7124f7704ab9e0393f6d7f8
I did this in math cad. I've never done double integrals and I need some help. Thanks!
Here is your Math Cad image:
upload_2016-7-18_17-16-42.png

It looks like your square only has 3 corners. I suppose the missing corner is at (2,2,2).

What is the definition of flux? It should include a scalar product (dot product).

Likes justin15501
SammyS said:
Here is your Math Cad image:
View attachment 103440

It looks like your square only has 3 corners. I suppose the missing corner is at (2,2,2).

What is the definition of flux? It should include a scalar product (dot product).
I edited the original post. Sorry, I miss typed! It is at (2,2,2).
The definition of flux is the integral of electric field doted with area. What am I doing wrong in mathcad?

justin15501 said:
I edited the original post. Sorry, I miss typed! It is at (2,2,2).
The definition of flux is the integral of electric field doted with area. What am I doing wrong in mathcad?
What is the normal vector to the area ?

Likes justin15501
SammyS said:
What is the normal vector to the area ?
Would the normal vector be flux? I'm not sure.

justin15501 said:
Would the normal vector be flux? I'm not sure.
No. You need a vector to associate with the area, so that you can take the dot product of that vector and the electric field.

The surface of the square is parallel to the x-z plane. What unit vector is normal to that square?

Likes justin15501
SammyS said:
No. You need a vector to associate with the area, so that you can take the dot product of that vector and the electric field.

The surface of the square is parallel to the x-z plane. What unit vector is normal to that square?
j? I'm not searching for someone to do the problem for me, but I'm pressed for time as we were given this extra credit assignment today, so if you could just solve this and explain the steps you took, I would really appreciate it. The only reason I am asking is because of my time constraint.

I get that the flux goes through the j hat direction, so you take (3*2) = 6 and then multiply it by the area (2*2) and get 24. But my teacher wants us to solve this using a double integral in math cad for bonus points. I've never done double integrals so I just need an example or someone to do it and show me how..

justin15501 said:
j? I'm not searching for someone to do the problem for me, but I'm pressed for time as we were given this extra credit assignment today,

so if you could just solve this and explain the steps you took, I would really appreciate it. The only reason I am asking is because of my time constraint.
That's a self contradictory statement.

It's against PF rules to provide you with a solution. The best we can do is to help you to solve this yourself.

justin15501 said:
I get that the flux goes through the j hat direction, so you take (3*2) = 6 and then multiply it by the area (2*2) and get 24. But my teacher wants us to solve this using a double integral in math cad for bonus points. I've never done double integrals so I just need an example or someone to do it and show me how..
How do you describe the area over which you integrate? ... in addition to being normal to ##\ \hat{j}\ ##

1. How do you define flux from a cube?

Flux is defined as the amount of flow or movement of a quantity through a surface. In the case of a cube, it is the amount of a quantity passing through each of the six faces of the cube.

2. What is the formula for finding flux from a cube?

The formula for finding flux from a cube is: Flux = (quantity passing through one face) x (number of faces) = (flux per unit area) x (surface area of cube).

3. How do you determine the direction of flux from a cube?

The direction of flux from a cube is determined by the direction of the quantity passing through the surface. If the quantity is moving into the cube, the flux is positive. If the quantity is moving out of the cube, the flux is negative.

4. Can you find flux from a cube if the quantity passing through each face is not constant?

Yes, you can still find the flux from a cube if the quantity passing through each face is not constant. In this case, you would need to use the average value of the quantity passing through each face in the formula for flux.

5. How is flux from a cube different from flux through a surface?

Flux from a cube is the total amount of a quantity passing through all six faces of a cube, while flux through a surface is the amount of a quantity passing through a specific surface. Flux through a surface is also a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction, while flux from a cube is a scalar quantity, only having magnitude.