Finding force produced by a Magnetic Field on a Proton

In summary: I think MikeBriganti got the problem correct the first time?? The component of the magnetic vector in the j direction will have no effect?
MikeBriganti

Homework Statement

A Proton moves with a velocity of 5x10^6 m/s in the +y direction. What is the force (magnitude and direction) on the proton if a magnetic field of 2.12Ti + 2.12Tj is applied.

Homework Equations

- F = |q|vBsinθ
- Right hand rule to find direction

The Attempt at a Solution

I think that I'm overlooking some math for this problem, and I'm require to use some more trig or something. I would really appreciate it if anyone could help me point out if I did something wrong, and how to go about fixing my mistake.

In the i direction, I had the magnitude of the force equal to (1.6x10^-19)(5x10^6)(2.12)(sin90) which equals 1.696 x 10^-12. I set the magnitude of the force in the j direction equal to 0, because the sin of the angles between the V and the B is equal to 0, in what I think sets that whole force equal to 0.

Then using the right hand rule, I get the final force equal to - 1.696 x 10^-12N k

Physics news on Phys.org
Why are you taking [itex]\theta[/itex] to be 90 degrees? Shouldn't you use the angle between the velocity vector of the proton and the magnetic field vector, which would appear to be 45 degrees?

Wow, I clearly wasn't thinking straight when I did that problem.. 45degrees makes complete sense. No idea why I thought I attempted to split up the magnetic field components.

Oh well, thank you for your help!

Note that since you are given the v and B vector components, you could consider using the vector form of the equation and just do the cross product: ## F = q \vec{v} \times \vec{B}## .

gneill said:
Note that since you are given the v and B vector components, you could consider using the vector form of the equation and just do the cross product: ## F = q \vec{v} \times \vec{B}## .

Unfortunately, I do not know how to do cross products yet.

MikeBriganti said:
Unfortunately, I do not know how to do cross products yet.

Ah. That's a shame. It avoids having to work out the angles between vectors, which can be annoying if they're 3D. How about determinants? Have you learned how to compute the determinant of a 3x3 matrix?

No I haven't learned to do that either. I'm taking calculus 2 right now, and I'm assuming most of that stuff is taught in Calc 3?

MikeBriganti said:
No I haven't learned to do that either. I'm taking calculus 2 right now, and I'm assuming most of that stuff is taught in Calc 3?

I think I first came across them in pre-calculus and linear algebra. But if you haven't seen them yet, you'll just have to carry on the way you're going (or take a detour and read up on cross products and determinants).

Wait, didn't MikeBriganti get the problem correct the first time?? The component of the magnetic vector in the j direction will have no effect?

1. How do I calculate the force produced by a magnetic field on a proton?

To calculate the force produced by a magnetic field on a proton, you will need to use the formula F=qvB, where q is the charge of the proton, v is its velocity, and B is the strength of the magnetic field. Simply plug in the values for each variable and solve for F.

2. What is the direction of the force on a proton in a magnetic field?

The direction of the force on a proton in a magnetic field is perpendicular to both the direction of the proton's velocity and the direction of the magnetic field. This is known as the right-hand rule, where the thumb points in the direction of the proton's velocity, the fingers point in the direction of the magnetic field, and the palm points in the direction of the force.

3. How does the strength of the magnetic field affect the force on a proton?

The strength of the magnetic field directly affects the force on a proton. The stronger the magnetic field, the greater the force on the proton will be. This is because the force is directly proportional to the strength of the magnetic field.

4. Can the force on a proton in a magnetic field be zero?

Yes, the force on a proton in a magnetic field can be zero. This occurs when the proton is either moving parallel to the magnetic field or is stationary in the magnetic field. In both of these cases, the angle between the velocity and the magnetic field is 90 degrees, resulting in a force of zero.

5. How can I use the force on a proton in a magnetic field in real-world applications?

The force on a proton in a magnetic field has many real-world applications, including particle accelerators, magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines, and mass spectrometers. By controlling the strength and direction of the magnetic field, we can manipulate the motion of protons and other charged particles for various purposes in these technologies.