Finding formulas for sine and cosine functions:

In summary, the conversation discusses finding simple formulas for the sum of cosine and sine functions with varying angles. The participant shares their knowledge of a formula for calculating sums of powers of a variable and a complex number representation of cosine and sine. They then receive assistance in utilizing these formulas to simplify their calculation.
silvermane
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Find simple formulas for
1+ cos(θ) + cos(2θ) + cos(3θ) + ... + cos(nθ)
and
sin(θ) + sin(2θ) + sin(3θ) + ... + sin(nθ)

The Attempt at a Solution

It's not really a homework question, but more for making a problem that I'm trying to solve a little bit more simple to calculate.

I know that 1 + x + x^2 + ... + x^n = [x^(n+1) - 1]/[x-1]

and I also know that u = cos(θ) + isin(θ)

I'm just having a little block in as how to incorporate these formulas to make my calculation a little easier.

You guys have always been great, and I do my best helping others with their combinatorics and linear algebra too. I know I'll get a wonderful answer, probably with some enrichment added on like icing to a cake. (just showing a little gratitude... I can't tell you how many times I've had wonderful educative experiences from this forum. It really does leave a positive mark on my life, lol)

Thank you in advance for your help! :) It means a lot to me!

Physics news on Phys.org
Look at the sum e^(ik*theta) for k=0 to n. It's geometric isn't it?

Last edited:
Yes it is - Thanks for jump starting my brain, haha

:)

What are sine and cosine functions?

Sine and cosine are mathematical functions used to describe the relationship between the sides and angles of a right triangle. They are commonly used in trigonometry and can also be applied to other areas of mathematics and science.

Why are formulas needed for sine and cosine functions?

Formulas for sine and cosine functions allow us to calculate the values of these functions for any given angle. This is useful in solving problems involving angles and triangles, as well as in graphing and modeling periodic phenomena.

How can I find the formula for a sine or cosine function?

The formula for a sine or cosine function can be found by using the unit circle or the right triangle definitions of these functions. It can also be derived from the Pythagorean theorem and the definitions of sine and cosine.

What are the key properties of sine and cosine functions?

Sine and cosine functions have a period of 2π, meaning they repeat every 2π units. They also have an amplitude, which is the maximum distance from the center line to the peak or trough of the graph. Additionally, sine and cosine functions are periodic, meaning they continue infinitely in both directions.

How are sine and cosine functions used in real-world applications?

Sine and cosine functions are used in a variety of real-world applications, such as in navigation, engineering, and physics. They can be used to model and predict the behavior of waves, vibrations, and other periodic phenomena. They are also essential in understanding and solving problems involving angles and triangles, such as in surveying and construction.