1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding friction on a onedimensional tube

1. Jul 6, 2013 #1
    PRobStatem.JPG
    Find the friction coefficient between the bar and the surfaces. Both surfaces are equal (and thus have equal coefficients).

Ok so, my problem is that, generally in physics when I assume an wrong direction for a vector, I will be able to discover that in my answer (generally speaking the vector will be negative), however, in this question assuming a wrong direction will give me a completely wrong answer and I don't understand why this happens or how to define the right orientation right from the start.

My original trial:
    MySolution.JPG
    [itex]\\\sum F_x = 0 \rightarrow N_a\mu_e + Nb\left(-\mu_e \cos(\theta)-\sin(\theta) \right ) = 0
    \\\sum F_y = 0 \rightarrow N_a + N_b(\cos(\theta)-\mu_e \sin(\theta)) = W
    \\\sum \tau_A = 0 \rightarrow W = \frac{N_b}{\sin(\theta)}
    \\
    \\
    \mu_e = 0.569345 \text{ or } \mu_e = -1.75641[/itex]

Book (I suppose it's also the correct one):
    BookSolution.jpg
    [itex]\\\sum F_x = 0 \rightarrow N_a\mu_e + Nb\left(+^{[1]}\mu_e \cos(\theta)-\sin(\theta) \right ) = 0
    \\\sum F_y = 0 \rightarrow N_a + N_b(\cos(\theta)+^{[2]}\mu_e \sin(\theta)) = W
    \\\sum \tau_A = 0 \rightarrow W = \frac{N_b}{\sin(\theta)}
    \\\text{Only differences in [1] and [2].}
    \\
    \mu_e = 0.225979 \text{ or } \mu_e = 4.42518[/itex]

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 6, 2013 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The problem arises when you select whether FB is + or - NBμecos(θ). As soon as you choose which, you have specified which way that force acts in relation to FA.
    You can determine the direction easily from first principles. Friction always acts to oppose relative motion of the surfaces in contact. If it acts downwards at the top of the rod that must be because, in the absence of friction, the rod would slide upwards. But since the rod is of fixed length, that would mean the base of the rod would slide towards the vertical face. To get a valid alternative solution you must reverse both friction directions. I would guess that will then give you the correct solution but with the coefficient negative.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted