Finding friction on a onedimensional tube

In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of assuming a wrong direction for a vector in physics problems and how it can lead to incorrect answers. The main focus is on finding the friction coefficient between a bar and two surfaces, with one person providing their original trial and another suggesting a different approach from a book. The key difference is in the direction of friction, which can be determined by considering the relative motion of the surfaces. Reversing both friction directions can give a valid alternative solution but with a negative coefficient.
ShizukaSm
PRobStatem.JPG

Find the friction coefficient between the bar and the surfaces. Both surfaces are equal (and thus have equal coefficients).

Ok so, my problem is that, generally in physics when I assume an wrong direction for a vector, I will be able to discover that in my answer (generally speaking the vector will be negative), however, in this question assuming a wrong direction will give me a completely wrong answer and I don't understand why this happens or how to define the right orientation right from the start.

My original trial:
MySolution.JPG

[itex]\\\sum F_x = 0 \rightarrow N_a\mu_e + Nb\left(-\mu_e \cos(\theta)-\sin(\theta) \right ) = 0
\\\sum F_y = 0 \rightarrow N_a + N_b(\cos(\theta)-\mu_e \sin(\theta)) = W
\\\sum \tau_A = 0 \rightarrow W = \frac{N_b}{\sin(\theta)}
\\
\\
\mu_e = 0.569345 \text{ or } \mu_e = -1.75641[/itex]

Book (I suppose it's also the correct one):
BookSolution.jpg

[itex]\\\sum F_x = 0 \rightarrow N_a\mu_e + Nb\left(+^{[1]}\mu_e \cos(\theta)-\sin(\theta) \right ) = 0
\\\sum F_y = 0 \rightarrow N_a + N_b(\cos(\theta)+^{[2]}\mu_e \sin(\theta)) = W
\\\sum \tau_A = 0 \rightarrow W = \frac{N_b}{\sin(\theta)}
\\\text{Only differences in [1] and [2].}
\\
\mu_e = 0.225979 \text{ or } \mu_e = 4.42518[/itex]

Physics news on Phys.org
The problem arises when you select whether FB is + or - NBμecos(θ). As soon as you choose which, you have specified which way that force acts in relation to FA.
You can determine the direction easily from first principles. Friction always acts to oppose relative motion of the surfaces in contact. If it acts downwards at the top of the rod that must be because, in the absence of friction, the rod would slide upwards. But since the rod is of fixed length, that would mean the base of the rod would slide towards the vertical face. To get a valid alternative solution you must reverse both friction directions. I would guess that will then give you the correct solution but with the coefficient negative.

What is friction?

Friction is a force that resists the motion of an object when it comes into contact with another object or surface.

How is friction measured?

Friction can be measured by the amount of force required to move an object across a surface. It is typically measured in newtons.

What factors affect friction on a one-dimensional tube?

The factors that affect friction on a one-dimensional tube include the surface material of the tube, the weight and shape of the object moving along the tube, and the force applied to move the object.

Why is finding friction on a one-dimensional tube important?

Knowing the amount of friction on a one-dimensional tube is important for understanding the efficiency of a system and for predicting how much force will be needed to overcome the resistance and move an object along the tube.

How can friction on a one-dimensional tube be reduced?

Friction on a one-dimensional tube can be reduced by using lubricants, such as oil or grease, between the moving surfaces, or by using materials with lower coefficients of friction, such as Teflon.