Finding friction without coefficient?

In summary: That's the calculation you did in post #10, just doing the divide the right way around this time. And yes, that's the force acting on the system.So, what's next?So, what's next?Next, you need to think about how to find the frictional force acting on the cart only. Any ideas?Next, you need to think about how to find the frictional force acting on the cart only. Any ideas?Maybe by subtracting the force acting on the cart from the force acting on the whole system?Maybe by subtracting the force acting on the cart from the force acting on the whole system?Yes, that's one way to do it. Can you think of another way
haruspex said:
Yes, but to be accurate it's the normal force that matters. Because the cart's mass stays the same, the weight stays the same, so the normal force stays the same.

Yes. The tension in the string leads to a normal force between the pulley's axle and its support, and that affects the frictional torque.

Can you see how this will allow you to distinguish the two sources of friction?

It must have something to do with distinguishing the normal force of the cart from some total? Because if the normal force stays the same, you can always extract that from a total result.
But what total?
The total friction?

Physics news on Phys.org
kelseybrahe said:
It must have something to do with distinguishing the normal force of the cart from some total? Because if the normal force stays the same, you can always extract that from a total result.
But what total?
The total friction?
Yes. With the increased mass of the suspended weight you run the experiment again and calculate the new total friction. You can try several different masses and plot the relationship between mass and total friction. There are reasons to expect it to be a straight line. You could then extrapolate to the case of no suspended mass, which would mean no pulley friction. The friction that remains must be at the cart.

haruspex said:
Yes. With the increased mass of the suspended weight you run the experiment again and calculate the new total friction. You can try several different masses and plot the relationship between mass and total friction. There are reasons to expect it to be a straight line. You could then extrapolate to the case of no suspended mass, which would mean no pulley friction. The friction that remains must be at the cart.

Alright, cool. That makes sense.
Thank you so much for all your help.
You have saved me from so much stress. And I feel like I understand these things a bit better now.

Thank you very much.

So for the second (terribly worded) question I just talk about what I would do to find the friction acting on the cart with the same equipment (by repeating the experiment but removing the cart and then finding the difference in the two totals).

kelseybrahe said:
Alright, cool. That makes sense.
Thank you so much for all your help.
You have saved me from so much stress. And I feel like I understand these things a bit better now.

Thank you very much.

So for the second (terribly worded) question I just talk about what I would do to find the friction acting on the cart with the same equipment (by repeating the experiment but removing the cart and then finding the difference in the two totals).
I've had second thoughts on what I just posted about the second problem. It sort of works, but the justification is not obvious.

We need a reasonable model for what determines each of the two frictional forces. For the cart, it is clearly the weight of the cart and the coefficient of kinetic friction there. For the pulley there will be another such coefficient, but what will play the role of the weight? Any ideas?

haruspex said:
I've had second thoughts on what I just posted about the second problem. It sort of works, but the justification is not obvious.

We need a reasonable model for what determines each of the two frictional forces. For the cart, it is clearly the weight of the cart and the coefficient of kinetic friction there. For the pulley there will be another such coefficient, but what will play the role of the weight? Any ideas?

I'm not entirely sure. Perhaps the weight of the mass that pulls the cart and goes through the pulley?

My physics teacher was away when I handed it in, but I talked to the other science faculty and they seemed to think that we were supposed to look at the distance between the dots on the ticker tape and talk about that. So something along the lines of friction causing deceleration, displayed as the distance between dots slowly decreasing.
Where to go from there I am completely lost. Do you have any ideas?

kelseybrahe said:
Perhaps the weight of the mass that pulls the cart and goes through the pulley?
When thinking about the force acting on some part of a system, a common mistake is to look too far away from it. The pulley knows nothing about the mass or the cart. What does it experience directly?
kelseybrahe said:
they seemed to think that we were supposed to look at the distance between the dots on the ticker tape and talk about that. So something along the lines of friction causing deceleration, displayed as the distance between dots slowly decreasing
You had to do that for the first part, finding the total friction. As I wrote, it will not help you distinguish the different sources.

Looks like the exercise asks for force acting on the whole system (which you've already calculated) and force acting on the cart. Net force on the cart, however, is force acting on the whole system minus friction of the cart. There will be frictional losses from the pulley and the acceleration measuring apparatus but they might be small compared to the friction of the cart.

I noticed an arithmetic error in one of my earlier posts:
2.44 N/1.154 kg = 2.15 m/s2
Should be 2.11 m/s2 = acceleration if there were no friction

The measured acceleration (1.05 m/s2) is about half of 2.11 m/s2
So you might be able to solve the problem in your head. I'm assuming acceleration is measured imprecisely enough in this experiment to swamp whatever effect the pulley and ticker tape have.

Last edited:
haruspex said:
When thinking about the force acting on some part of a system, a common mistake is to look too far away from it. The pulley knows nothing about the mass or the cart. What does it experience directly?

You had to do that for the first part, finding the total friction. As I wrote, it will not help you distinguish the different sources.

It experiences friction from the string?

David Lewis said:
Looks like the exercise asks for force acting on the whole system (which you've already calculated) and force acting on the cart. Net force on the cart, however, is force acting on the whole system minus friction of the cart. There will be frictional losses from the pulley and the acceleration measuring apparatus but they might be small compared to the friction of the cart.

Yeah, that makes sense and that's what we thought too.
But the teacher said we had to use the same ticker tape to determine the friction on the cart. Or more, determine how it could be possible to find the friction acting on the cart.

kelseybrahe said:
It experiences friction from the string?
There should be no slipping between the two, so yes, there will be static friction. But for there to be any friction, what other force must there be between them?
It just occurred to me that we have not mentioned the rotational inertia of the pulley, but no matter. By using two different weights with the same mass (or vice versa) we can find the total resistance at the pulley. We do not care how much of that is from rotational inertia and how much from axial friction.

kelseybrahe said:
the same ticker tape
Just noticed that reply... Do you mean the same ticker tape or the same apparatus generating a new ticker tape?
I see no way to discriminate the cart's friction from other frictions and the rotational inertia of the pulley from that.

Correction:
Net force on cart = force acting on the whole system minus cart friction, minus pulley friction, minus ticker tape friction.
Acceleration = force acting on the whole system divided by (cart mass plus ticker tape mass plus pulley moment of inertia).

Acceleration if there were no friction = 2.11 m/s2
Measured acceleration = 1.05 m/[sups]2[/sup]

David Lewis said:
Net force on cart = force acting on the whole system minus cart friction, minus pulley friction, minus ticker tape friction.
Acceleration = force acting on the whole system divided by (cart mass plus ticker tape mass plus pulley moment of inertia).
I disagree with both. The net force on the cart is also affected by the acceleration of the suspended mass and of the pulley.
And you can't add a mass to a moment of inertia.

I'm not sure exactly where the ticker tape attaches, so I'll assume it is directly attached to the cart.
Net force on cart = Tension in horizontal part of string - friction from cart axles (if it's on whels) - friction from ticker tape
Acceleration of system = net force on cart / mass of cart = radius x net torque on pulley / moment of inertia of pulley = net force on suspended mass / mass suspended
Net torque on pulley = radius x (tension in vertical string - tension in horizontal string) - axial friction torque
Net force on suspended mass = weight - tension in vertical string

If we run experiments with different masses:
Friction from cart axles is proportional to mass of cart
Axial friction at pulley is proportional to the net force on the pulley from the two tensions.

If I understand the OP correctly, only the force acting on the whole system and the force acting on the cart is asked for.

David Lewis said:
If I understand the OP correctly, only the force acting on the whole system and the force acting on the cart is asked for.
Yes, but your statement was not correct. If we take it back to the simplest analysis, no friction, massless pulley, cart mass m, suspended mass M, the acceleration would be Mg/(M+m), so the force on the cart would be Mmg(M+m). According to what you wrote it would be Mg.

haruspex said:
Just noticed that reply... Do you mean the same ticker tape or the same apparatus generating a new ticker tape?
I see no way to discriminate the cart's friction from other frictions and the rotational inertia of the pulley from that.

The same ticker tape. Which is why it's so confusing, because I didn't think you could do that?

haruspex said:
There should be no slipping between the two, so yes, there will be static friction. But for there to be any friction, what other force must there be between them?
It just occurred to me that we have not mentioned the rotational inertia of the pulley, but no matter. By using two different weights with the same mass (or vice versa) we can find the total resistance at the pulley. We do not care how much of that is from rotational inertia and how much from axial friction.

Gravity and/or some resistance force?
Like the equal/opposite force?
Or does acceleration or some kinetic force apply as well?

kelseybrahe said:
The same ticker tape. Which is why it's so confusing, because I didn't think you could do that?
Neither do I. The ticker tape will tell you the acceleration. Maybe you can also observe some non-constant acceleration, but it doesn't help. The friction on the cart, the friction on the pulley, and the moment of inertia of the pulley will all affect the acceleration, but not in a way to make it non-constant. So I see no way to disentangle the effects.

haruspex said:
Neither do I. The ticker tape will tell you the acceleration. Maybe you can also observe some non-constant acceleration, but it doesn't help. The friction on the cart, the friction on the pulley, and the moment of inertia of the pulley will all affect the acceleration, but not in a way to make it non-constant. So I see no way to disentangle the effects.

I thought the same thing. I'll let you know what he says when I get the assignment back.