Finding GATE Exam Practice/Samples --

In summary: I don't think it will be useful specifically for GATE, but it might help you if you want to learn much more advanced stuff which the school can't teach you. It is an online course with a mentor.I don't think it will be useful specifically for GATE, but it might help you if you want to learn much more advanced stuff which the school can't teach you. It is an online course with a mentor.You are not allowed to say "I don't think it will be useful specifically for GATE."
ISamson
Gold Member
Hello.
My Gifted and Talented Education (GATE) exam is upcoming in a few months, and I am having trouble finding practice and samples.
I am in Y7 right now, exam is next year and I am trying to enter an advanced school for year 9.
I live in Western Australia, but please do not restrict an answer to this location. Most admission tests are similar and if you know/have any "similar" resources, please HELP!
I deeply value any help. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
I just have to say, I think the GATE test is created similarly to an IQ test and must be very similar to a NAPLAN test which I'm sure you are familiar with.

I study in NSW and NAPLAN is the holy grail here. Only a few schools use other methods. You should easily be able to do any test just with your knowledge and some basic understanding.

That's the idea behind these gifted and talented tests. I once tried studying for a gifted and talented test, I failed. I tried again without studying, it was easy.

Likes ISamson
lekh2003 said:
I tried again without studying, it was easy.

The thing is that I am stressed. I want to get in. Desperately. Don't ask why.

It is very different to NAPLAN. I have done both tests before and am quite familiar, but it was hard and am STRESSED.

lekh2003 said:
That's the idea behind these gifted and talented tests.

What idea?

lekh2003 said:
You should easily be able to do any test just with your knowledge and some basic understanding.

Does my BASIC knowledge cover pattern recognition, hight mathematical ability, writing, high language capabilities all under a very high stress of time?

Thanks for the reply.

You must not be so stressed. Just be confident. I know you feel that if you study you will have a higher likelihood of passing. But this is like an IQ test almost. No one expects you to pass perfectly.

If you really want material, you can go to the bookstore and find some math/English analogy workbooks. Otherwise find gate-specific sample papers online (which are paid). As far as I know there are no free practice papers.

Likes ISamson
Studying makes me confident, right?

ISamson said:
Studying makes me confident, right?
I assume so. I don't feel confident by studying intensively. I feel more confident when I can explain very difficult problems intuitively. When I grasp the very essence of a subject and can answer anything without confusing anyone.

It's a weird method, but everybody's different.

Likes ISamson
ISamson said:
@lekh2003, what do you think:
https://thewest.com.au/news/wa/competition-heats-up-for-top-school-places-ng-b88431555z
tutoring is hell expensive and competition among entrance in GATE is very high. I think practice and how prepared you are is the only way in.
What do you think?
I must agree, the selective programs in Australia are a plain rat race. It's crazy. Again, if it makes you comfortable and confident, you can study worksheets and workbooks.

I know tutoring is crazy expensive. But it will help you in exactly the way you need.

For me, instead of going to tuitions, I signed up for John Hopkins University CTY. It's cheaper than tuitions and I have been able to finish high school math and physics through it.

Likes ISamson
Is there an alternative to tutoring?
lekh2003 said:
John Hopkins University CTY. It's cheaper than tuitions and I have been able to finish high school math and physics through it.
What is this program?

ISamson said:
Is there an alternative to tutoring?

What is this program?
It is the Center of Talented Youth, it gives credited approved courses where you can advance your learning. You do semester like courses usually 3-6 months long.

I don't think it will be useful specifically for GATE, but it might help you if you want to learn much more advanced stuff which the school can't teach you. It is an online course with a mentor.

Likes ISamson
@lekh2003, if you do not study for the GATE exam, then how are you sure that you are definitely prepared and know everything?

@ISamson If you know the basic subjects you need to study and know the general areas of required expertise, you can master those areas through other conventional workbooks and studying.

Likes ISamson

Question 1: How do I find GATE exam practice or sample materials?

The best way to find GATE exam practice or sample materials is to start by searching online. You can also check with your university or local library for any resources they may have available. Additionally, you can reach out to other scientists or colleagues who have taken the GATE exam for recommendations.

Question 2: Are there any official GATE exam practice materials?

Yes, the official GATE website (https://gate.iitb.ac.in/) offers practice materials such as previous year question papers and mock tests. These materials are considered to be the most accurate and reliable for preparing for the GATE exam.

Question 3: Are there any free GATE exam practice materials available?

Yes, there are many websites and online platforms that offer free GATE exam practice materials. However, it is important to make sure that these materials are from reputable sources and are relevant to the current GATE exam pattern.

Question 4: Can I purchase GATE exam practice materials?

Yes, there are various books and study materials available for purchase that specifically cater to GATE exam preparation. You can also consider enrolling in a GATE coaching program, which often includes practice materials as part of the course curriculum.

Question 5: How can I make the most out of GATE exam practice materials?

To make the most out of GATE exam practice materials, it is important to have a study plan and schedule in place. Start by familiarizing yourself with the GATE exam pattern and syllabus, and then focus on practicing with a variety of questions and topics. It is also helpful to track your progress and identify areas where you need to improve.