Finding High Curvature Solution in GR to Einstein's Field Equations

• Thread starter benk99nenm312
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gr Specific
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of finding the curvature of a point directly beneath the Earth in a picture, and what type of solution this would be. It is clarified that the picture only shows spatial curvature and not time dimension. The equation used to find this curvature is the Schwarchild metric, which is a solution of the Einstein's Field Equations (EFE). However, curvature cannot be measured directly and has multiple components. The units for measuring curvature are complex and it is suggested to have a clear understanding of the context and level of understanding before asking questions about it.
benk99nenm312
I have a question on finding a specific solution to Einstein's Field Equations. This is purely for my own curiosity. Suppose you were given this picture.
162571main_GPB_circling_earth3_516.jpg

How would you find the curvature of the point directly beneath the Earth in the picture, i.e. the point in which the space-time is dipped down the most? It should be the highest curvature in local space. What type of solution would this be?

If this doesn't make sense, please tell me so that I can re-word it in a way that does.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
benk99nenm312 said:
How would you find the curvature of the point directly beneath the Earth in the picture,
I guess you mean "in the center of the Earth". The picture is a bit misleading
benk99nenm312 said:
i.e. the point in which the space-time is dipped down the most?
It is important to state, that the picture shows purely spatial curvature. There is no time dimension represented in that diagram.

benk99nenm312 said:
It should be the highest curvature in local space.
Not really. The local space curvature itself could be even constant in the entire interior of a mass sphere. What you mean is the lowest gravitational potential.

benk99nenm312 said:
What type of solution would this be?
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=1543402#post1543402"

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schwarzschild-Metrik#Geometrische_Deutung_2" says, that the spatial part of the metric represents a Hypersphere, which would suggest an uniform space curvature in the entire interior.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting. So the answer doesn't even lie in EFE? It's Schwarchild's equation?

So, in what units is this measured in? (I'm extremely new to the math of Relativity)

That diagram and all it's simulacra are misleading. It's much better to think of the spatial curvature around the Earth as a series of concentric spherical shells getting further apart as they get further from the surface. That will give an idea of the magnitude of the spatial curvature, but as A.T. has said, in GR the curvature is in 4 dimensions.

benk99nenm312 said:
Interesting. So the answer doesn't even lie in EFE? It's Schwarchild's equation?
The Schwarchild metric is a solution of the EFE. Your picture visualizes the spatial part of the Schwarchild metric. In fact it shows only 2 of the 3 space dimensions and 4 spacetime dimension.
benk99nenm312 said:
So, in what units is this measured in? (I'm extremely new to the math of Relativity)
Usually http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geometrized_unit_system" is quite complex.

Last edited by a moderator:
So now what I want to know is this. If I were to measure the curvature using the Schwarzschild equation, what units would the anwer be in? Just for clarification purposes, if I got an answer of 5, 5 what?

One cannot measure curvature directly. Also, it has several components, so you get more than one number.

If you observed very closely the behaviour of falling bodies you could work back using the equations of GR to get the curvature numbers. Gravity is real and we can measure its effects, but space-time curvature is only in formulae and does not necessarily have a physical counterpart.

This might be interesting

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/gr/ricci.weyl.html

benk99nenm312 said:
So now what I want to know is this. If I were to measure the curvature using the Schwarzschild equation, what units would the anwer be in? Just for clarification purposes, if I got an answer of 5, 5 what?

An aside from the thread, I would say that Benk99nenm312, maybe try to be clearer with the context in which you're asking your questions, as well as giving a hint as to the level of your own understanding - so that the responses can be more helpful, as well as the fact that people won't be wasting their time typing things you won't understand. The only reason I mention this is that from looking at a thread you've set up in the careers guidance forum, it seems you're still pre-calc level, so to be fair it's extremely unlikely that any mathematics discussed would even begin to make sense. It's a great thing that you have your own interests in pursuing knowledge such as this, but since you don't have the mathematical tools that someone who has studied GR would have, it can be a difficult match-up when it comes to questions such as this.

Related to Finding High Curvature Solution in GR to Einstein's Field Equations

What is a specific solution in General Relativity (GR)?

A specific solution in GR refers to a particular set of equations that describe the geometry of spacetime in a specific scenario. It takes into account the distribution of matter and energy in the universe and predicts how it affects the curvature of spacetime.

How are specific solutions different from the general theory of relativity?

The general theory of relativity is a broad framework that describes the relationship between gravity and spacetime. It provides the basis for specific solutions, which are more specific and detailed solutions to the equations that describe the behavior of matter and energy in specific situations.

What are some examples of specific solutions in GR?

Some examples of specific solutions in GR include the Schwarzschild solution, which describes the spacetime around a non-rotating, spherically symmetric object, such as a star or planet. Another example is the Kerr solution, which describes the spacetime around a rotating, axisymmetric object like a spinning black hole.

Why are specific solutions important in GR?

Specific solutions are important in GR because they allow scientists to make predictions about the behavior of matter and energy in specific scenarios, such as the motion of planets in our solar system or the behavior of radiation near a black hole. They also help to validate the general theory of relativity by comparing its predictions to observations and experiments.

Are specific solutions in GR applicable to all situations?

No, specific solutions in GR are not applicable to all situations. They are only valid in certain scenarios where the assumptions and conditions of the specific solution apply. For example, the Schwarzschild solution is only applicable to non-rotating, spherically symmetric objects, while the Kerr solution is only applicable to rotating, axisymmetric objects.