How Do You Calculate Initial Velocity in Projectile Motion?

In summary, the conversation discusses using basic kinematics to solve a projectile motion problem where a baseball is thrown at an angle of 65.0 degrees above the horizontal and strikes a building 16.0 m away at a point 5.00 m above the initial point of release. The conversation includes a suggestion to write equations for vertical and horizontal positions as a function of time and solve for the two unknowns, time and velocity (V0). The use of the "range equation" is also discussed, with the recommendation to only use it when the initial and final points are at the same height. The conversation concludes with guidance on how to solve for the unknown variables.
Remulak

Homework Statement

A baseball thrown at an angle of 65.0 degrees above the horizontal strikes a building 16.0 m away at a point 5.00 m above the point from which it is thrown. Ignore air resistance.

Homework Equations

Not sure if this equation works for the problem
Vo = SQR(RG/SIN2THETA)

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand projectile motion but I'm confused because the ball hits the wall at a point higher than the initial point from which it's thrown. From my calculation I got 14.4 m/s squared. Range times gravity divided by sin130. I'm not sure of any other way of solving the problem but I know the above is wrong. I can't seem to get any of the kinematic equations down to one variable either.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, start form the basics: there is no acceleration in the horizontal direction, an acceleration of -g= -9.8 m/s2 in the vertical direction.

accy= -9.81 so vy= -9.8t+ v0sin(65) and then, taking the initial height to be y= 0, y= -4.9t2+ v0 sin(65) t= 5.

accx= 0 so vx= v0cos(65) and then, taking the initial position to be x= 0, x= v0cos(65)t= 16.

That gives you two equations to solve for the two parameters t and v0.

That "range formula" is too specialized to use here. Instead, go back to basics: Write equations for vertical (y) and horizontal (x) positions as a function of time. You'll get two equations and two unknowns, which you can solve for V0 and time.

(Yeah, what he said. :wink:)

Ok so I solve for the y equation using a quadratic then I plug t into x? Doc Al when do you know when to use the range equation and when its not appropriate. I have a hard time logically figuring out which equation to use.

"Range" means horizontal distance, so the "range equation" is only useful when the initial and final points are at the same height. Read this: Range of Trajectory

Unless you have a pile of range problems to solve, it's not worth memorizing. More important is to know the basic kinematics of projectile motion and how to derive the range when you need it.

arghhh, my algebras rusty how do i solve these variables, don't tell me the answer tho but lead me in the right direction

Remulak said:
arghhh, my algebras rusty how do i solve these variables, don't tell me the answer tho but lead me in the right direction

Solve for time in the horizontal displacement equation in terms of V0... then substitute that value for time, into the vertical displacement equation.

t = 16/VOcos65 is that in terms of t?

Right. (That's t in terms of V0, which is what you want.) When you use that to eliminate t in your equation for vertical motion, the only unknown will be V0.

1. What is initial velocity and why is it important in science?

Initial velocity, also known as initial speed, is the velocity of an object at the beginning of its motion. It is important in science because it helps us understand the motion of objects and calculate their future positions and speeds.

2. How do you calculate initial velocity?

Initial velocity can be calculated by dividing the change in position by the change in time. This can also be done by using the equation v = d/t, where v is the initial velocity, d is the distance traveled, and t is the time taken.

3. What is the difference between initial velocity and average velocity?

Initial velocity is the velocity at the beginning of an object's motion, while average velocity is the total displacement divided by the total time taken. Average velocity takes into account changes in velocity throughout the motion, while initial velocity only looks at the starting point.

4. Can initial velocity be negative?

Yes, initial velocity can be negative. This indicates that the object is moving in the opposite direction of the chosen positive direction. For example, if the positive direction is to the right, a negative initial velocity would mean the object is moving to the left.

5. How does air resistance affect the initial velocity of an object?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can decrease the initial velocity of an object by slowing it down. This is because air resistance acts in the opposite direction of the object's motion, causing it to lose speed. The amount of air resistance depends on the shape and speed of the object, as well as the density of the surrounding air.