Finding K in Calculus: A Hint for Solving Challenging Integrals

In summary, the problem is that the integrand, F(x), is not primitive, so we need to find an anti-derivative.
keewansadeq

Homework Statement

111.png

Can anybody give me hint how to find K if F(x)= 3x+2

The integral lower part is not the same, , how to deal with his?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Please ,I need hint to start

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
... or, why not just integrate what you've been given?

Likes DrClaude
keewansadeq said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 97741

Can anybody give me hint how to find K if F(x)= 3x+2

The integral lower part is not the same, , how to deal with his?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Please ,I need hint to start

What is preventing you from just computing ##\int_2^x (3t + 2) \, dt## and ##\int_8^x (3t + 2) \, dt##?

Thank you all,

The point guys is that , first integration is start from 2 and the other one is start from 8.
Hence if I have only the base 2, the answer will be 3x+2 =3x+2(but the problem is the second base is 8), can't figure out what I missing till now?

How can I equate them?

Thanks again

keewansadeq said:
the answer will be 3x+2 =3x+2
That's not a valid answer for that definite integral.

Last edited:
Thanks

Could you upload refer to examples with X is the boundary of indefinite integral not numbers?

When a math problem proves to be too difficult, it is a good idea to work on it in little pieces.

Why don't you do as has been suggested above: forget about the exercise itself, and just compute the following integral:
##\int_2^x (3t + 2) dt##.

What result do you get?

What, exactly, is your difficulty? Have you been able to find an anti-derivative for 3t+ 2? That is, can you find [itex]\int 3t+ 2 dt[/itex]? What do you get when you substitute the upper and lower bounds and subtract?

Samy_A said:
When a math problem proves to be too difficult, it is a good idea to work on it in little pieces.

Why don't you do as has been suggested above: forget about the exercise itself, and just compute the following integral:
##\int_2^x (3t + 2) dt##.

What result do you get?
The answer is 3x+2 (right)!

keewansadeq said:
The answer is 3x+2 (right)!
No.
Let's go one more step back (as suggested by HallsofIvy): what is the indefinite integral ##\int (3t +2) dt ##?

Sorry, a stupid question but ##F(x)=3x+2## is a primitive of ##f## or it is the ##f## in the integral?

Ssnow said:
Sorry, a stupid question but ##F(x)=3x+2## is a primitive of ##f## or it is the ##f## in the integral?
That's not a stupid question, it's a good catch. :oldsmile:

Ah ok because in one case one must apply directly the Fundamental calculus theorem and in the other side one must find before the primitive ... @keewansadeq you must reflect on this ...

Ssnow said:

Samy_A said:
That's not a stupid question, it's a good catch. :oldsmile:
I noticed that as well. It could be that F is an antiderivative of f, or, as often happens, some posters mix upper and lower case for a single variable name.
@keewansadeq, did you intend f and F to represent different functions?

Ssnow said:
I assumed it was the integrand because there would not be a specific constant, like 2, in the anti-derivative. If the itegrand is f(x)= 3x+ 2, then the integrand is [itex]F(x)= (3/2)x^2+ 2x+ C[/itex] where C is a constant that will cancel in the definite integral. If the integrand is the constant, 3, then the anti-derivative is 3x+ C, to be evaluated at 2 and x on one side, 8 and x on the other.

@HallsofIvy I have had the same doubt the fact is that it is possible that in the text of the schedule they choose a particular primitive of ##3## with ##c=2##, I don't know because usually with ##F## denotes the primitive ...

Mark44 said:
I noticed that as well. It could be that F is an antiderivative of f, or, as often happens, some posters mix upper and lower case for a single variable name.
@keewansadeq, did you intend f and F to represent different functions?

Yes I did, Capital F means anti antiderivative

Actually,I am very goof in integration,but I am week in Fundamental calculus theorem, it is to me that derivative of integration will be the same function, that why I am confused.

Thanks all I appreciate

Samy_A said:
No.
Let's go one more step back (as suggested by HallsofIvy): what is the indefinite integral ##\int (3t +2) dt ##?
This is simple

3(t^2)/2+2t

But the main problem is with Fundamental calculus theorem

Ok, so now we know that ##\int f(t) dt = F(t) + C##.
That means, by the fundamental theorem of calculus, that ##\int_a^b f(t) dt = F(b)-F(a)##.

Can you now compute ##\int_2^x f(t) dt## and ##\int_8^x f(t) dt##?

keewansadeq said:
This is simple

3(t^2)/2+2t

But the main problem is with Fundamental calculus theorem

Sorry, but I don't see how you can say that: in another thread (on volume computation) you did another, considerably harder example without any difficulty at all!

Likes Ssnow
Samy_A said:
Ok, so now we know that ##\int f(t) dt = F(t) + C##.
That means, by the fundamental theorem of calculus, that ##\int_a^b f(t) dt = F(b)-F(a)##.

Can you now compute ##\int_2^x f(t) dt## and ##\int_8^x f(t) dt##?

Got it ,piece of cake, I just have small misunderstanding for something, and now it clear

Ray Vickson said:
Sorry, but I don't see how you can say that: in another thread (on volume computation) you did another, considerably harder example without any difficulty at all!

Life is Hard

Related to Finding K in Calculus: A Hint for Solving Challenging Integrals

1. What is the fundamental theorem of calculus?

The fundamental theorem of calculus states that the definite integral of a function can be calculated by evaluating the antiderivative of the function at the upper and lower limits of integration.

2. How is the fundamental theorem of calculus related to derivatives and integrals?

The fundamental theorem of calculus connects the concepts of derivatives and integrals by showing that the derivative of an integral is equal to the original function, and the definite integral of a function can be calculated by evaluating its antiderivative.

3. What are the two parts of the fundamental theorem of calculus?

The first part of the fundamental theorem of calculus states that the definite integral of a function can be calculated by evaluating its antiderivative at the upper and lower limits of integration. The second part states that the derivative of an integral is equal to the original function.

4. How is the fundamental theorem of calculus used in real-life applications?

The fundamental theorem of calculus is used in various fields of science and engineering, such as physics, economics, and engineering, to solve problems involving rates of change and accumulation. It is also used in the development of computer algorithms for data analysis and optimization.

5. Are there any limitations to the fundamental theorem of calculus?

The fundamental theorem of calculus has certain limitations, such as the requirement for the function to be continuous and the limits of integration to be finite. It also does not apply to functions with discontinuities or infinite limits of integration. In some cases, numerical methods may be required to calculate the definite integral.