Finding Ka of various solutions

• Thread starter jpd5184
  • Start date
In summary, the student is trying to find out the Ka for bromcresol green in five different solutions. She has the absorbance values at the maximum wavelength for each solution, but is not sure how to interpret the expression. She needs to use the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation to calculate the pKa and Ka.
jpd5184

Homework Statement

I need to find out the ka of bromcresol green for a 5 different solutions. I have the absorbance at the maximum wavelength for each solution. In the lab report the next box says

An-Ahb / Ab(negative ion) -An

i have the values for An,Ahb, and Ab but I am not sure if the equation is subtracting the values or multiplying by negative values

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Please elaborate - what is what of what?

Last edited by a moderator:
im not sure what your saying, what other information is needed.

What do you mean - Ka for 5 different solutions? Ka is constant for a given substance, so it should be identical for all solutions. I guess you mean "experimental value of Ka for each experiment".

What is An? I guess Ahb is meant to be AHB, but you can't assume every symbol is obvious to everyone.

I guess your post means that you should now calculate value of the expression and you are not sure how to interpret this expression. I have the same problem with your post - it is not much more precise than the expression you posted :wink:

ill give you an overview of the lab.

we had to make 8 solutions. solution A then solutions 1-7. solution A had 25.00ml of HOAc dilluted to 100ml with water. this solution was but into a buret.

solution one has 5.00ml of bromcresol green(BCG) and 5.00ml NaOAc, diluted to 100ml.

we then took absorbance readings of solution 1 with a spectrophotometer to find out the maximum absorbance.

solution 2 then got 2.00ml of solution A added to it with the buret. Solution three got 2.00ml of solution A(for a total of 4.00ml) and so on till solution 7(which had 2.00ml of solution one added to it for a total of 12.00ml).

all solutions were made from the previous one and each solution was measured at the maximum absorbance except for 3 and 7 which were measured for the full scale of wavelengths to figure out there maximum absorbance readings.

Still no idea what is An.

I guess your calculations should be based on Henderson-Hasselbalch equation. You know pH (you forced it using acetate buffer), you have absorbances that can be used to calculate ratio of BCG both in the form of acid and conjugate base - that's enough to calculate pKa and Ka.

An = absorbance at maximum wavelength B-

[H30+] = Ka[HOAc/[OAc-]

I would concentrate on trying to understand whether and if - how
An-Ahb
and
Ab(negative ion) -An
are related to concentrations of BCG in the form of acid and conjugate base.

But I think I have already signaled it.

1. What is Ka and why is it important?

Ka, or the acid dissociation constant, is a measure of the strength of an acid in solution. It helps determine the extent to which an acid will dissociate into its ions in water, which is important for understanding the behavior of acids in various chemical reactions.

2. How do you find the Ka of a solution?

The Ka of a solution can be found by measuring the equilibrium concentration of the acid and its conjugate base in solution, and plugging those values into the equation Ka = [H+][A-]/[HA], where [H+] is the hydrogen ion concentration, [A-] is the conjugate base concentration, and [HA] is the acid concentration.

3. What factors affect the Ka of a solution?

The Ka of a solution can be affected by the strength of the acid itself, the concentration of the acid, and the presence of other substances in the solution that may interact with the acid. Temperature and pressure can also have an impact on the Ka of a solution.

4. How does the Ka of a solution relate to its pH?

The Ka of a solution is directly related to its pH, as it is a measure of the concentration of hydrogen ions in solution. A higher Ka value indicates a stronger acid and a lower pH, while a lower Ka value indicates a weaker acid and a higher pH.

5. Can the Ka of a solution change over time?

The Ka of a solution can change over time due to factors such as temperature, pressure, and the presence of other substances. It can also change as the acid reacts with other substances in the solution, altering the equilibrium concentrations of the acid and its conjugate base.