Finding Kinetic Energy From A Graph

In summary, the lunchbox slides over a frictionless surface and a steady wind pushes on it in the negative direction. The kinetic energy of the lunchbox is estimated at (a)t = 1.0 s and (b)t = 5.0 s. Work is done on the lunchbox by the force from the wind at t = 1.0 s to t = 5.0 s.
danest

Homework Statement

A 2.0 kg lunchbox is sent sliding over a frictionless surface, in the positive direction of an x-axis along the surface. Beginning at time t = 0, a steady wind pushes on the lunchbox in the negative direction of the x axis. Figure 7-50 shows the position x of the lunchbox as a function of time t as the wind pushes on the lunchbox. From the graph, estimate the kinetic energy of the lunchbox at (a)t = 1.0 s and (b)t = 5.0 s. (c) How much work does the force from the wind do on the lunchbox from t = 1.0 s to t = 5.0 s?
http://edugen.wiley.com/edugen/courses/crs1650/art/qb/qu/c07/fig07_50.gifFig. 7-50

Homework Equations

Change in Y/ Change X

K = .5mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried finding the slope for each part bc that would be the velocity and then I plug in the velocity into the K equation but it did not work. I am not sure what else to try after that.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your method is correct. Show us exactly what you did and how you put numbers in the equations. We can't pinpoint what didn't work without knowing what you did.

For part a) I used the the coordinate (0,0) and (1,1) to get the slope and it was just 1
Then I plug it into K = (1/2)(2)(1^2) = 1

For part b ) I used the coordinates (0,0) and (5,2.5) and found the slope for that to be (1/2)
then K = (1/2)(2)(1/2^2) = .25

I think for part 3 you have to subtract the first two answers to get the total but I can't get those yet

danest said:
For part a) I used the the coordinate (0,0) and (1,1) to get the slope and it was just 1
Then I plug it into K = (1/2)(2)(1^2) = 1
That's about right.

For part b ) I used the coordinates (0,0) and (5,2.5) and found the slope for that to be (1/2)
You can't do that. The slope is a line tangent to the graph at the appropriate point. At 5.0 s, the line tangent to the graph is parallel to the time axis. What is the slope at t = 5.0 s?

The slope would just be 0 then.

I also tried the answer for a and it was wrong. Is there something I missed there?

danest said:
The slope would just be 0 then.

I also tried the answer for a and it was wrong. Is there something I missed there?

Not really, but you may wish to refine the estimate for the velocity. Read the position at 0.5 s and at 1.5 s, take the difference and divide by (1.5 - 0.5) s. You should get a better value that way.

Related to Finding Kinetic Energy From A Graph

What is kinetic energy and why is it important to find it from a graph?

Kinetic energy is the energy that an object possesses due to its motion. It is important to find kinetic energy from a graph because it allows us to quantify the amount of energy an object has based on its velocity.

How can I determine the kinetic energy of an object from a velocity vs. time graph?

To find the kinetic energy from a velocity vs. time graph, you can use the formula KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where m is the mass of the object and v is its velocity at a specific point on the graph.

What does the slope of a velocity vs. time graph represent in terms of kinetic energy?

The slope of a velocity vs. time graph represents the acceleration of the object. This is important in determining the change in kinetic energy over time.

Can I use a position vs. time graph to find kinetic energy?

No, a position vs. time graph does not directly provide information about an object's velocity, which is necessary to calculate kinetic energy. However, you can use a position vs. time graph to determine the object's velocity and then use that information to find kinetic energy from a velocity vs. time graph.

How can knowing the kinetic energy of an object be useful in real-life applications?

Knowing the kinetic energy of an object can be useful in various real-life applications, such as designing roller coasters, calculating the impact force of a moving object, and understanding the energy requirements for different types of transportation.