Finding magnetic field in wire with non-uniform current density

In summary, the problem involves finding the expression for the magnetic field inside a wire with current density J = Cr2, where C is a constant. The total current in the wire is I and the radius is R. Using the equations J = dI/dA and I = dQ/dt, an integral is needed to solve for C. By defining dA as 2*pi*r*dr and integrating from 0 to R, the value of C can be determined and the rest of the problem can be solved.
GreatEscapist

Homework Statement

Find an expression for the magnetic field inside a wire carrying a current density J = Cr2 where C is a constant to be determined in the problem. The total current in the wire is I and the radius of the wire is R. Your answer should be a function of r, R and I, but should not contain C.

Homework Equations

[itex]\oint\vec{B}*d\vec{s}[/itex]=[itex]\mu[/itex]0*Ithrough

J = dI/dA

I = dQ/dt

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the first thing I need to do is solve for C in the J expression. I know that J = dI/dA. I want to integrate over the entire wire's radius, so I would want to integrate from 0 to R... the problem is I can't make my integral work. I tried Cr2 = ∫dI / dA, etc.

I actually think I can solve the rest of the problem myself, but I am stuck on the freaking calculus. Can someone help me set up this integral?

Physics news on Phys.org
I, as given in the question, is a constant, so it's not going to help differentiating it. Within your formula it means something a little different. Try rewriting J = dI/dA in integral form. That will turn I into the constant given when you fill in the correct integration range.

I ended up getting it. You solved for C first by defining dA as 2*pi*r*dr... that was the part I couldn't get.

Related to Finding magnetic field in wire with non-uniform current density

1. How do you find the magnetic field in a wire with non-uniform current density?

To find the magnetic field in a wire with non-uniform current density, you can use the formula B = μ0I/2πr, where B is the magnetic field, μ0 is the permeability of free space, I is the current, and r is the distance from the wire. You will need to integrate this formula over the length of the wire to take into account the varying current density.

2. What is the significance of non-uniform current density in a wire?

Non-uniform current density in a wire means that the current is not evenly distributed throughout the wire. This can occur due to variations in the wire's cross-sectional area or the presence of other conductive materials nearby. It is important to account for non-uniform current density when calculating the magnetic field, as it can significantly affect the results.

3. Can you use Ampere's Law to find the magnetic field in a wire with non-uniform current density?

Yes, you can use Ampere's Law to find the magnetic field in a wire with non-uniform current density. Ampere's Law states that the integral of the magnetic field around a closed loop is equal to the current passing through the loop. By applying this law and considering the varying current density, you can determine the magnetic field at a specific point around the wire.

4. How does the magnetic field change with varying current density in a wire?

The magnetic field is directly proportional to the current passing through the wire. Therefore, as the current density changes along the length of the wire, the magnetic field will also change. The magnetic field will be stronger in areas with higher current density and weaker in areas with lower current density.

5. Are there any practical applications for calculating the magnetic field in a wire with non-uniform current density?

Yes, there are several practical applications for calculating the magnetic field in a wire with non-uniform current density. This information is important in designing and analyzing electromagnetic devices such as motors, generators, and transformers. It can also be useful in understanding the behavior of electric circuits and in medical imaging techniques such as MRI.