Finding Mass of Non-Uniform Density

In summary, the conversation discusses a practice problem involving finding the mass and moment of inertia of a solid with non-uniform density using spherical coordinates. The participants discuss the method of converting the density equation into spherical coordinates and integrating to solve the problem. They also discuss the difficulty of the integrals involved and mention that this type of problem may not be realistic for an exam. They conclude that there is no easy way to check the answer and recommend approaching the problem the same way if it were to appear on an exam.
Mr LoganC
This is just a practice problem, not actual homework. I'm studying for my final but am having a bit of difficulty in understanding this concept.

Homework Statement

Consider a solid of non-uniform density ρ=x2+y+z, consisting of all points inside the sphere x2+y2+z2=1
a) Find the mass of the solid (use spherical coordinates.)
b) Find the moment of inertia of the solid with respect to the z-axis (use spherical coordinates.)

Homework Equations

[tex]
M=\int \rho dV
[/tex]
[tex]
dV= r^{2}sin\theta dr d\theta d\phi
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I am unsure if since the density equation is given, should I bring it out infront of the integral as if it's a constant and just integrate the spherical part of dV. Or do I also integrate the density?
My textbook has no examples of this, only uniform densities where rho is considered a constant and brought out infront of the integral

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Mr LoganC! :smile:

(have an integral: ∫ and a theta: θ and a phi: φ :wink:)
Mr LoganC said:
I am unsure if since the density equation is given, should I bring it out infront of the integral as if it's a constant and just integrate the spherical part of dV. Or do I also integrate the density?
My textbook has no examples of this, only uniform densities where rho is considered a constant and brought out infront of the integral

You have to keep it inside the ∫ …

you can only take actual constants outside (including functions of variables other than the one belonging to that ∫) :wink:

Okay, well then I'm confused again, because I would have this: (Using Spherical coordinates)
[tex]

M=\int_{\phi=0}^{2\pi} \int_{\theta=0}^{2\pi} \int_{r=0}^{1} (x^{2}+y+z)r^{2}sin\theta dr d\theta d\phi

[/tex]

But if I'm only integrating with respect to radius, theta and phi, then the x, y, and z would be the same, acting like a constant as if I were to bring it out front of the integral. Again, my textbook is not helping at all as there is no example with the density inside the integral

Last edited:
ah, you need to convert x2 + y + z into r θ and φ, and then integrate :wink:

(btw, only one of the integrals is to 2π)

Rightttt! It's been a while since doing spherical!
So I need to convert those.
Also, does it matter which I change from 2pi to pi? Forgot about that too, having both at 2pi is just like sweeping it out twice. So should I only let phi go from 0-pi, or does it not matter which one I choose?
Thanks again, you've been very helpful!

So I worked through the problem and got an answer. Took me a good 30-40mins. There's no way he would give us one question that takes 40mins to do on the final. So I must have either done something wrong or did it a very difficult way. Not only that, the integrals were very difficult!
I ended up getting an answer of
[tex]\frac{4\pi}{15} - \frac{\pi}{4}[/tex]

Is there any easy way to check this answer to see if it's right? Unfortunately, the practice problems do no have solutions for them.

Hi Mr LoganC! :smile:

(just got up :zzz: …)
Mr LoganC said:
So I worked through the problem and got an answer. Took me a good 30-40mins. There's no way he would give us one question that takes 40mins to do on the final. So I must have either done something wrong or did it a very difficult way. Not only that, the integrals were very difficult!

hmm … as soon as I saw ρ = x2 + y + z, I thought "I wouldn't like to try to integrate that!" :redface:
I ended up getting an answer of
[tex]\frac{4\pi}{15} - \frac{\pi}{4}[/tex]

Is there any easy way to check this answer to see if it's right?

(have a pi: π :wink:)

Nope. :biggrin:

So if this question were to show up on the exam, (This is a practice question from last years exam), How should I go about doing it? And I still have to use spherical coordinates!

Do it the same way!

Apart from the tediousness, what's wrong with that? :smile:

Nothing I guess. I'm a terribly slow test writer, so perhaps I'll leave that one 'till the end, but at least I can show my work and show that I do know how to go about the problem!

Thanks again Tiny-Tim! A thumbs up to you, sir!:biggrin:
-LoganC

1. What is the definition of mass of non-uniform density?

The mass of an object with non-uniform density is the measure of the amount of matter it contains, taking into account variations in density throughout the object.

2. How is mass of non-uniform density different from regular mass?

Regular mass assumes that the object has uniform density throughout, while mass of non-uniform density takes into account variations in density within the object.

3. How do you calculate mass of non-uniform density?

To calculate the mass of an object with non-uniform density, you must first divide the object into smaller, uniform density sections. Then, you can use the equation mass = density x volume for each section and add together the masses of all the sections to get the total mass of the object.

4. What tools are needed to find mass of non-uniform density?

The tools needed to find mass of non-uniform density include a balance or scale to measure mass, a ruler or caliper to measure dimensions, and a calculator to perform the necessary calculations.

5. Why is it important to find mass of non-uniform density?

Knowing the mass of an object with non-uniform density is important for various scientific and practical purposes, such as determining the strength and stability of structures, understanding the behavior of fluids, and calculating the weight of objects in space.