Finding the center of mass with a modified reaction board method

In summary, the location of a composite object's center-of-mass is given by M_total x L_com = sum of (m_i x l_i) for all items.Once you know your c.o.m. location and your mass,just add the backpack mass multiplied by its location(you have to decide on a coordinate axis origin).Don't forget that M_total also increases!Ok...so from your formula you're saying that:Mass total (ie me and the backpack) x the length of C.o.M. which I already found=sum of (M_i? x l_i?>
Winner
Hi,
Ok so we were told to find our center of mass using the reaction board method, but modified. We just do a pushup position with our hands on a scale, I have a electronic one and toes on the floor.

My values obitained are:
weight=68kg
the scale reading in a pushup position=48.9kg
horizontal distance from hands to my toes=112cm

http://www.geocities.com/mvxraven/pushup.JPG"

Locate my center of mass:
Ok so, the sum of torques=(F1 x d1) + (F2 x d2)
F1=reaction force from scale
F2=weight force
d1=112 cm
d2=my unknown value!

0=(48.9 kg x 9.81)(1.12m) + [-(68kg x 9.81)(d2)] (negative because it's going clockwise)
667.08 (d2)=537.27
d2=0.805m or 80.5 cm.

Alright, that means my center of mass is 80.5 cm from my toes, making it around the belly area?:uhh:

Second part of the question says what happens if a 20kg backpack is placed halfeway between you hips and shoulders. I can't "do" this, I must only calculate, so can't find reaction force with scale.
So anyone have ideas for this one?

I think I can do the same thing? So :
Sum of torque=(F1 x d1) +(F2 x d2) + (F3 x d3)? F3 being the reaction force of my back against the back pack on me. But that doesn't work, because that just means the torque force for F1 and F2 will cancel and my d3 can't be 0. So how does this work?

Thanks again!
:confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone with ideas? bump!

F1 will increase with the backpack on. I think you are suppose to choose a d3 according to your body and work out what the new reaction force of the scale , F1, will be. Once you've done that you can go back and recalculate your new center of mass with the backpack on.

Last edited:
andrevdh said:
F1 will increase with the backpack on. I think you are suppose to choose a d3 according to your body and work out what the new reaction force of the scale , F1, will be. Once you've done that you can go back and recalculate your new center of mass with the backpack on.

I don't get it, are you suggesting I should just choose an arbitrary value for d3? A value that lies somewhere in between my shoulder and hips?

The location of a composite object's center-of-mass is given by
M_total x L_com = sum of (m_i x l_i) for all items.
Once you know your c.o.m. location and your mass,
just add the backpack mass multiplied by its location
(you have to decide on a coordinate axis origin).
Don't forget that M_total also increases!

Ok...so from your formula you're saying that:

Mass total (ie me and the backpack) x the length of C.o.m. which I already found=sum of (M_i? x l_i?> I don't get this part. what is i?

Also, I don't know the value for the distance from the center of mass of backpack to the fulcrum or my feet. Can you clarify a bit?

BOTH quantities on the left-hand side refer to the entire (new) object:

(M_total = mass_you + m_backpack) x (L_new_total_com) =

(m_you x location_com_you) + (m_backpack x location_com_bkpk)

each term on the right-hand side is about one item in the total,
the same kind of operation (weighted average of location) as left-h-side.
You MUST use same coordinate system for all locations (say, from feet)

How far from your feet are your hips? how far from feet are shoulders?
where is the location that's "halfway between" them?By the way, One way to tell whether a "formula" is worth remembering
(or whether it is a special-case derived for one instance)
is that each term should be the same kind of quantity,
and each variable in that term should refer to the same item.

Last edited:
could I not use this formula:

X (center of mass)=(m1)(X1)+(m2)(X2)/ (m1 +m2)

m2 being my backpack,
m1 being me

Ahhh, my sticky point was the distance from my backpack to my toes. Thought I had to calculate that :rofl: :rofl: . Ok, I think I got this. Thanks for the help.

Look at the formula you just wrote.

It comes from the equation I wrote to you at 10:00 .

But the original equation is already generally true,
(it doesn't have to be modified if there's a 3rd or 4th item)
and all terms look "similar", even the left-hand side!
and the terms are vectors, like locations should be,
not distances (which are always positive).

It comes straight from the *concept* of center-of-mass,
"what's the location of that entire mass"?

Last edited:

What is the center of mass?

The center of mass is a point that represents the average position of all the mass in a system. It is also known as the center of gravity.

Why is finding the center of mass important?

Knowing the location of the center of mass can help in understanding the stability and motion of an object. It is also useful in designing structures and predicting their behavior.

How do you find the center of mass?

The center of mass can be found by calculating the weighted average of the distances of all the individual masses from a reference point. Alternatively, it can also be found by balancing an object on a pivot point and marking the point where it has no net torque.

What factors affect the center of mass?

The center of mass is affected by the distribution of mass within an object. Objects with more mass located towards one end will have a center of mass closer to that end. The shape and orientation of an object can also affect its center of mass.

Can the center of mass be outside of an object?

Yes, the center of mass can be outside of an object. This is often the case for irregularly shaped objects or objects with uneven mass distribution. In these cases, the center of mass may be located in empty space.