Finding Points of Destructive Interference for Two In-Phase Speakers

• Thread starter zack7
  • Start date
In summary, the two speakers are emitting sound at a frequency of 825 Hz and are separated by 5.00 m, with one speaker at the origin and the other at (0, 5) m. To find points of totally destructive interference along the line y = 5, for x > 0, you would use the equation (n+1/2)lamda, where n is an integer, to calculate the path difference between the two speakers. The wavelength is 23/55 and the distance from the origin to the point (x,5) is √[x2 + 25]. The points of totally destructive interference occur at intervals of λ/2, 3λ/2, 5
zack7
Two speakers that are in phase output sound at a frequency of 825 Hz. The speakers are separated by 5.00 m,
with one speaker at the origin and the other at (0, 5) m. Find points of totally destructive interference along the
line y = 5, for x > 0.
How do you get the points?

I would have to use change in Points= (n+1/2)lamda but what do I put for L after inserting all the info?
Thank you for all the help

wavelength=23/55
(L-x)-x=n(23/55)
L-2x=n(23/55)
L-n(23/55)=2x
x=L/2 -n(23/110)

Now what do I put for the L ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You need the wavelength but they have given you frequency. It looks like you are expected to know the speed of sound (330 m/s) so that you can calculate the wavelength

I have updated with my calcluations and the part that I am not sure

Thank you

zack7 said:

Thank you

Why did you say the wavelength was 23/55?

Edit: perhaps you were told to use a speed of sound of 345 m/s?

zack7 said:

Thank you

The minimum path difference (on the y=5 line) occurs at (2.5,5) where it is zero.

The maximum path difference is is the source separation, which is 5m

Once you have a wavelength - you say it is 23/55; which is 0.42 m , so when the path difference is 0.21, 0.63, 1.05, ... , up to ≤5 you will have destructive interference.

Note: 5m is almost 12 wavelengths, so you get interference at λ/2, 3λ/2, 5λ/2, 7λ/2, ... , 23λ/2, that means 12 on each side of the central maximum point (2.5,5)
There is a chance that the first few of them, on the left side of the central maximum, are still in the x>0 region and need to be counted.

Checking that.

from (0,0), to (0,5) is 5m
from (5,0) to (0.5) is 7.07m - a path difference of 2.07 m, but more importantly 4.95λ .
SO the minima associated with a path difference of λ/2, 3λ/2, 5λ/2, 7λ/2 & 9λ/2 will occur between (0,5) & (2.5,5) plus another 12 of them from there.

SOLVING:
Lets choose a point on the y=5 line .. the best being (x,5) so we keep it general.

Distance to the origin = √[x2 + 25]

Distance from (5,0) = √[(x-5)2 + 25]

The path difference is therefore √[x2 + 25] - √[(x-5)2 + 25]

That will then be set to equal λ/2, 3λ/2, 5λ/2, 7λ/2, ... in turn - up to 23λ/2

zack7 said:
Two speakers that are in phase output sound at a frequency of 825 Hz. The speakers are separated by 5.00 m,
with one speaker at the origin and the other at (0, 5) m. Find points of totally destructive interference along the
line y = 5, for x > 0.
How do you get the points?

I would have to use change in Points= (n+1/2)lamda but what do I put for L after inserting all the info?
Thank you for all the help

wavelength=23/55
(L-x)-x=n(23/55)
L-2x=n(23/55)
L-n(23/55)=2x
x=L/2 -n(23/110)

Now what do I put for the L ?

SIDE NOTE:

You will only get "totally destructive interference" if the two waves are out of phase, and equal in intensity.
If the two sound sources are exactly the same in phase, frequency and intensity (at the source) then the fact that we need a path difference, means that we are further from one speaker than the other. That means the intensity will be slightly less, so you would never get "totally destructive interference" - but I don't expect that technicality is part of this question.

Related to Finding Points of Destructive Interference for Two In-Phase Speakers

1. What is a "Two Speakers Question"?

A "Two Speakers Question" is a type of question that involves two people discussing a topic and giving their opinions or perspectives on it. It is commonly used in scientific studies to gather qualitative data and understand different viewpoints on a subject.

2. How is a "Two Speakers Question" used in scientific research?

In scientific research, a "Two Speakers Question" is used as a tool to gather information and insights from different individuals or groups. It allows researchers to understand the similarities and differences in opinions and perspectives on a particular topic, which can provide valuable insights for further analysis.

3. What are the benefits of using a "Two Speakers Question" in research?

One of the main benefits of using a "Two Speakers Question" in research is that it allows for a deeper understanding of a topic from different viewpoints. It also encourages open communication and can uncover new insights that may not have been discovered through other methods of research.

4. How do you structure a "Two Speakers Question" in a research study?

To structure a "Two Speakers Question" in a research study, it is important to have a clear and specific topic or issue for the two speakers to discuss. The questions should be open-ended and encourage the speakers to provide their opinions, thoughts, and experiences. It is also important to have a neutral facilitator to ensure a balanced and respectful conversation.

5. Are there any limitations to using a "Two Speakers Question" in scientific research?

While "Two Speakers Questions" can provide valuable insights, there are some limitations to using this method in scientific research. It heavily relies on the participants' willingness to share their thoughts and experiences, which can be influenced by factors such as social desirability bias. Additionally, the data collected from this method may not be easily quantifiable, making it difficult to analyze and draw conclusions from.