Finding potential at certain points in circuit

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the potential at certain points in a circuit and different methods for solving it, including using Ohm's law and Kirchhoff's laws, superposition, and mesh current analysis. The final solution is found to be -3V and one person confirms this using mesh current analysis.
sodper
[SOLVED] Finding potential at certain points in circuit

Homework Statement

Calculate the potential of [tex]V_1[/tex] and [tex]V_2[/tex]

See attached circuit configuration (circuit2.gif)

Homework Equations

Ohms law: U = RI
Kirchhoff's laws

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to solve it with superposition but my teacher says I've got the wrong sign for [tex]V_2[/tex].
No matter how I try, I get a positive potential for [tex]V_2[/tex].

I've attached my solution (solution.jpg)

Any suggestions?

Attachments

• circuit2.gif
    circuit2.gif
    8.4 KB · Views: 565
  • solution.jpg
    solution.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 466
Physics news on Phys.org
I think I've found a solution to this problem, but I'm still not convinced about how the currents flow in this circuit configuration.

My solution:
Point 1 obviously has the potential 7V. The node beneath the 15 ohm resistance, which I call [tex]V_3[/tex], has the potential -6V.
The voltage over the 15 ohm resistance is [tex]u_3 = V_2 - V_3[/tex].
But we also have
[tex]u_3 = \frac{15 \Omega}{10 \Omega + 15 \Omega + 25 \Omega} 10V = \frac{150}{50}V = 3V[/tex]

And finally
[tex]V_2 = u_3 + V_3 = 3 + (-6) V = -3 V[/tex]

Could somebody verify this for me?

sodper said:
I think I've found a solution to this problem, but I'm still not convinced about how the currents flow in this circuit configuration.

You don't need to know a priori what the current directions are. Just assume a direction for the current in each loop. If you're wrong, then you'll pick up a minus sign. No worries.

My solution:
Point 1 obviously has the potential 7V. The node beneath the 15 ohm resistance, which I call [tex]V_3[/tex], has the potential -6V.
The voltage over the 15 ohm resistance is [tex]u_3 = V_2 - V_3[/tex].
But we also have
[tex]u_3 = \frac{15 \Omega}{10 \Omega + 15 \Omega + 25 \Omega} 10V = \frac{150}{50}V = 3V[/tex]

And finally
[tex]V_2 = u_3 + V_3 = 3 + (-6) V = -3 V[/tex]

Could somebody verify this for me?

I got -3V too, but I did it by Mesh Current Analysis (which is pretty easy in this problem, as each mesh equation only has one variable).

Tom Mattson said:
I got -3V too, but I did it by Mesh Current Analysis (which is pretty easy in this problem, as each mesh equation only has one variable).

I'm curious about how you used mesh current analysis in this problem. Would you mind describing it to me?

Last edited:
Assume a direction for each mesh current. I called the current in the left mesh [itex]i_1[/itex] and took it to be clockwise, consistent with the voltage source in that loop. Similarly I called the current in the right mesh [itex]i_2[/itex] and took it to be counterclockwise. Then I wrote down mesh equations (that's just KVL for each loop in this case) and solved them for [itex]i_1[/itex] and [itex]i_2[/itex]. That's all you need to get [itex]V_1[/itex] and [itex]V_2[/itex].

Ok, I see. Thanks for your help! I'll mark this as solved now.

FAQ: Finding potential at certain points in circuit

1. What is potential in a circuit?

Potential, also known as voltage, is the difference in electric potential energy between two points in a circuit. It is measured in volts (V) and is responsible for the flow of electric current.

2. How is potential measured in a circuit?

Potential can be measured using a voltmeter, which is connected in parallel to the two points in the circuit where the potential difference is to be measured. The voltmeter will display the voltage in volts (V).

3. How do you find potential at a specific point in a circuit?

To find the potential at a specific point in a circuit, you can use the equation V = IR, where V is the potential (voltage), I is the current, and R is the resistance. Alternatively, you can measure the potential with a voltmeter at that point.

4. Why is it important to find potential at certain points in a circuit?

Knowing the potential at certain points in a circuit is important for understanding how electric current flows and where there may be variations or issues in the circuit. It can also help in troubleshooting and designing more efficient circuits.

5. What factors can affect potential at certain points in a circuit?

The potential at certain points in a circuit can be affected by factors such as the type and amount of resistors, the length and thickness of wires, and the presence of other components such as capacitors or diodes. Changes in these factors can lead to changes in potential at different points in the circuit.

Back