Finding pressure in a branch with known flows

In summary: Bernulli's equation is a mathematical equation that describes the pressure in a pipe that is in unrestricted flow. It is used to calculate the pressure at any arbitrary point in the pipe.
Nevonis
Hey!

So we have these equations that describe flow through and pressure in a pipe.
∂p/∂t = -β/A * ∂q/∂x​
∂q/∂t = -A/ρ * ∂p/∂x - F/ρ + g*Acos(α(x))​
where A = cross area, β = bulk constant for water, p = pressure, q = flow, ρ = density, g = gravity constant, F = forces due to friction, α = angle between gravity and direction of flow

Discretized, we get this (simplefied, linearized with linear friction)
∂pi/∂t = β/(A*l) * (qi-1-qi)​
∂qi/∂t = A/(l*ρ) * (pi - pi+1) - fqi
Where, f = friction constant.
So, basically, for pressure at a certain point (i), we have that
∂pi/∂t = C * (qin-qout)​

I'm wondering if there are any similar equations that describes the pressure at a branch with known flow in and flow out (through both branches).

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry Nevonis, I am unable to help with your question.

However, I came to the forum looking for clues to a problem I am having in a closed loop system with 3 branches, perhaps you or someone else would have an answer...

I have a chilled water loop that travels up into the ceiling 18', diagonally 60', then back down into another room 18'. The line is then divided into 3 branches that I adjust the pressure of to control my flow (9PSI, 10PSI, and 3PSI). The three lines then travel through the tool being cooled and back in three pipes to the room where the chiller is located, about 100' away.

The three lines then recombine after going through a flow meter. The flow meters indicate that each line is very close to one another in flow (~14 GPH).

My question is:
Can the ~14GPH be assumed to be an inaccurate measurement of what the flows are immediately after the pressure regulators, before entering my equipment?

I don't see how you could not. Flow into the loop = flow out of the loop. The pressure just decides what the different flows are in each branch.

My thinking was at the end of the three lines where they recombine, right after the 3 0-60GPH float flow meters there was a back pressure that was causing the readings to be incorrect.

Hmm, I wouldn't know.. Sorry

Nevonis said:
Hey!

So we have these equations that describe flow through and pressure in a pipe.
∂p/∂t = -β/A * ∂q/∂x​
∂q/∂t = -A/ρ * ∂p/∂x - F/ρ + g*Acos(α(x))​
where A = cross area, β = bulk constant for water, p = pressure, q = flow, ρ = density, g = gravity constant, F = forces due to friction, α = angle between gravity and direction of flow

Discretized, we get this (simplefied, linearized with linear friction)
∂pi/∂t = β/(A*l) * (qi-1-qi)​
∂qi/∂t = A/(l*ρ) * (pi - pi+1) - fqi
Where, f = friction constant.
So, basically, for pressure at a certain point (i), we have that
∂pi/∂t = C * (qin-qout)​

I'm wondering if there are any similar equations that describes the pressure at a branch with known flow in and flow out (through both branches).

What about Bernulli's equation? If your flow is incompressible you can apply it between any arbitrary points if the flow is also irrotational or between points on the same streamline if the flow is rotational.

1. What is the equation for finding pressure in a branch with known flows?

The equation for finding pressure in a branch with known flows is P = (Q^2 * R) / (2 * g * A^2), where P is the pressure, Q is the flow rate, R is the resistance, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and A is the cross-sectional area of the pipe.

2. How do you determine the flow rate in a branch?

The flow rate in a branch can be determined by measuring the volume of water that passes through the pipe in a specific amount of time. This can be done using a flow meter or by measuring the time it takes for a known volume of water to pass through the pipe.

3. What factors affect the pressure in a branch with known flows?

The pressure in a branch with known flows is affected by the flow rate, the resistance of the pipe, the cross-sectional area of the pipe, and the acceleration due to gravity. Other factors such as temperature and viscosity of the fluid may also have an impact.

4. Can you use this equation for any type of fluid?

Yes, the equation for finding pressure in a branch with known flows can be used for any type of fluid as long as the values for flow rate, resistance, cross-sectional area, and acceleration due to gravity are all measured in the appropriate units.

5. Is there a more accurate way to find pressure in a branch with known flows?

There are various methods that can be used to find pressure in a branch with known flows, such as using a pressure gauge or a pitot tube. These methods may provide more accurate results, but they also require more specialized equipment and may be more time-consuming.