Solving Pressure Puzzle: Find P1 in Diagram

• Thread starter goldfish9776
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pressure
In summary, the pressure at point P1 is calculated by subtracting the pressure of atmospheric air from the sum of the pressures from the water, oil, and mercury at different heights in the tank. This is because the air pressure at P1 is the same as the pressure at the water/air interface in the tank, which is different from atmospheric pressure. The equation for calculating P1 is P1 = Patm - ρ(water)gh1 - ρ(oil)gh2 + ρ(mercury)gh3.
goldfish9776

Homework Statement

i couldn't understand why the pressure P1 is given by P atm - ρ water (gh2) - ρ(oil)(gh1) + ρ(mercury)(gh3) .Where is the point P1 ? It's not indicated in the diagram ...

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• 7939.PNG
    7939.PNG
    10.2 KB · Views: 395
  • 7938.PNG
    7938.PNG
    43.1 KB · Views: 381
Physics news on Phys.org
It looks like P1 is meant to be the pressure at the water/air interface in the tank. So, it's the same as the air pressure in the tank.

gneill said:
It looks like P1 is meant to be the pressure at the water/air interface in the tank. So, it's the same as the air pressure in the tank.
isn't the air pressure at water surface = atmospheric pressure , which is 85.6Pa ?

goldfish9776 said:
isn't the air pressure at water surface = atmospheric pressure , which is 85.6Pa ?
Nope. That would be the pressure at the open end of the "S" tube.

The tank is a sealed enclosure except for the tube, and the enclosed air can have a different pressure than atmospheric.

gneill said:
Nope. That would be the pressure at the open end of the "S" tube.

The tank is a sealed enclosure except for the tube, and the enclosed air can have a different pressure than atmospheric.
ok , can you explain why the pressure at P1 is found by subtracting the ρ water (gh2) and ρ(oil)(gh1) and plus ρ(mercury)(gh3) ??

Sure. The calculation follows a path from the open air at the open end of the S-tube to a point where the pressure is that of the water/air interface. In the system, horizontal lines through the fluids are lines of equal pressure. Look at the path described in orange:
Fig2.PNG

Edit: Modified picture to describe a pressure change path from atmosphere to tank water surface with labels so points with equal pressures can be seen.

Last edited:
If looks to me like they have the h2 and the h1 incorrectly switched in the equation.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
If looks to me like they have the h2 and the h1 incorrectly switched in the equation.
Chet
I think you are right. I hadn't written out and simplified the full path equation before, now I have and I agree with you. Thanks for catching that.

I've modified the diagram in my previous post to reflect the full path. Points with the same letter labels are at the same pressure. The OP should be able to follow the path summing the pressure changes, then simplify the result.

He also needs to recognize that moving upward lowers the pressure and moving downward increases the pressure. I'm wondering if he is aware of this.

gneill said:
I think you are right. I hadn't written out and simplified the full path equation before, now I have and I agree with you. Thanks for catching that.

I've modified the diagram in my previous post to reflect the full path. Points with the same letter labels are at the same pressure. The OP should be able to follow the path summing the pressure changes, then simplify the result.
so P1 = Patm +ρ (water)gh2 - ρ(oil)g(h1+h2) + ρ(oil)gh1 - ρ(water)g(h1+h2) + ρ(mercury)gh3
P1 = Patm - ρ(water)gh1 - ρ(oil)gh2 + ρ(mercury)gh3 ?

goldfish9776 said:
so P1 = Patm +ρ (water)gh2 - ρ(oil)g(h1+h2) + ρ(oil)gh1 - ρ(water)g(h1+h2) + ρ(mercury)gh3
P1 = Patm - ρ(water)gh1 - ρ(oil)gh2 + ρ(mercury)gh3 ?
Yes. That's correct.

Likes goldfish9776

1. What is the purpose of solving a pressure puzzle?

The purpose of solving a pressure puzzle is to determine the value of pressure (P1) in a system, based on given information and equations related to pressure and fluid mechanics.

2. How do I approach solving a pressure puzzle?

First, carefully analyze the given diagram and identify all known values and variables. Then, use equations such as Pascal's Law and the continuity equation to set up a system of equations. Finally, solve for the unknown pressure (P1) using algebraic manipulation.

3. What is the significance of finding P1 in a pressure puzzle?

Finding P1 is significant because it allows us to understand the behavior of fluids in a system and make predictions about how pressure will change in different parts of the system.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving a pressure puzzle?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving a pressure puzzle include using incorrect equations, incorrectly identifying known values and variables, and making errors in algebraic manipulation. It is important to double-check your work and carefully follow each step in the solving process.

5. Can a pressure puzzle have more than one solution?

Yes, a pressure puzzle can have more than one solution. This is because there may be multiple ways to set up the equations and solve for P1. However, it is important to check the validity of each solution and choose the most reasonable and physically sound answer.