Finding stationary points. no x in second derivative

In summary: Since it's a constant, it's negative. Negative means concave down. So, you have a maximum.In summary, when finding the stationary point of a function, you can use the second derivative to determine if it is a maximum or minimum value. If the second derivative is a constant, you can determine the concavity and therefore the type of stationary point.
navm1

Homework Statement

Just started getting introduced to calculus and a couple applications. After I've found the stationary point i understand that i can put the x value into the second derivative to find if its a maximum or minimum point. i.e

12x-2x2
ƒ'(x)= 12-4x
12-4x=0
x=3
so 12(3)-2(3)2 = 18
So if I've worked it out correct then the stationary point is 3,18

The Attempt at a Solution

So if i take the second derivative i have

ƒ''(x)= -4

if there's no x in the second derivative then how do I find out whether it's a maximum or minimum value?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You can always plot the original function.

navm1 said:

Homework Statement

Just started getting introduced to calculus and a couple applications. After I've found the stationary point i understand that i can put the x value into the second derivative to find if its a maximum or minimum point. i.e

12x-2x2
ƒ'(x)= 12-4x
12-4x=0
x=3
so 12(3)-2(3)2 = 18
So if I've worked it out correct then the stationary point is 3,18

The Attempt at a Solution

ƒ''(x)= -4

if there's no x in the second derivative then how do I find out whether it's a maximum or minimum value?

Thanks
You can use the 2nd derivative to determine if a critical point is a local maximum or minimum. Your textbook should have this test and some examples. Also, y = 12x - 2x2 is a very simple function. A quick sketch of its graph, as SteamKing suggests, will show immediately what's going on.

navm1 said:

ƒ''(x)= -4

Thanks

You ask yourself whether ##-4## is positive or negative for concavity.

1. What are stationary points?

Stationary points, also known as critical points, are points on a graph where the slope or derivative is equal to zero. This means that the function is neither increasing nor decreasing at these points.

2. How do I find stationary points?

To find stationary points, you need to take the first derivative of the function and set it equal to zero. Then, solve for the variable to find the x-coordinates of the stationary points. You can also use the second derivative test to determine if the stationary points are maximum, minimum, or inflection points.

3. What does it mean when there is no x in the second derivative?

If there is no x in the second derivative, it means that the function is linear or has a constant slope. In this case, the function will have no stationary points since the slope is constant and never equals zero.

4. Can a function have more than one stationary point?

Yes, a function can have multiple stationary points. This occurs when the slope of the function changes from increasing to decreasing or vice versa at different points on the graph.

5. How do I know if a stationary point is a maximum, minimum, or inflection point?

You can use the second derivative test to determine the nature of a stationary point. If the second derivative is positive, the point is a minimum. If the second derivative is negative, the point is a maximum. If the second derivative is zero, the point is an inflection point.