Finding Tension and Power in an Eskimo's Sled Pull

In summary, an Eskimo is pulling a 100kg sled with a constant force at a speed of 1.5m/s by pulling on a rope at a 30 degree angle to the horizontal. With a coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.1, the tension in the rope is 113N and the power due to friction is 147W.
dman_PL

Homework Statement

An Eskimo pulls a 100kg sled with a constant force through the snow
at a constant speed of 1.5m/s. He applies this force by pulling on a rope at 30◦
to the horizontal. There is a coefficient of kinetic friction between the sled and the snow of 0.1

1)Find the tension in the rope
2)What is the power due to the frictional force (rate at which energy is being dissipated)
the instant he stops pulling on the sled

Homework Equations

The Force of Tension = (mass)(acceleration) - (Coefficient of Friction)(-mass · gravity)
2) Power= Work/Time

The Attempt at a Solution

1) I thought it was a simple just plug it in, so i did Fτ=(100kg)(1.5m/s)-(.1)(-100kg*9.8)=248N
2) I used the 248N to find the amount of work that was done, so Work=248N*1.5m/s*Cos(30)=322.16. However after this I am confused as to how i find time.

Physics news on Phys.org
A sled of MASS 100kg has a WEIGHT of 100 x 9.81N =981N
A coeff of friction of 0.1 means that the force of friction between the sled and the snow is 0.1 x 981N = 98.1N
So to pull the sled at (ANY) CONSTANT SPEED (velocity) needs a horizontal force of 98.1N
This force is provided by the horizontal component of the tension in the rope
So T x Cos30 = 98.1 gives T = 98.1/Cos30 = 113N
Power = force x velocity
So with a friction force of 98.1N at a velocity of 1.5m/s the power is 98.1 x 1.5 = 147W

1. What is tension and power?

Tension and power are two physical concepts that are often used in various scientific fields. Tension refers to the force applied to an object, while power refers to the rate at which energy is transferred or work is done.

2. How do you measure tension and power?

Tension can be measured using a variety of instruments such as a spring scale or a tension meter. Power can be measured using a power meter or by calculating the work done over a specific time period.

3. What is the relationship between tension and power?

Tension and power are closely related as power is the product of tension and velocity. In other words, an increase in tension will lead to an increase in power as long as the velocity remains constant.

4. How does tension and power affect an object's motion?

Tension and power play a crucial role in an object's motion. Tension can either support or oppose an object's motion, while power is responsible for the transfer of energy that can cause an object to move.

5. How can tension and power be applied in real-life situations?

Tension and power are applied in various real-life situations such as in engineering, sports, and transportation. For example, tension is essential in the construction of bridges and buildings, while power is used in vehicles to propel them forward.