Finding Tension in a Ring on a Smooth Hoop

• Thread starter omegasquared
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ring Smooth
In summary, the tension in the system is equal to the weight of the ring multiplied by the spring constant.
omegasquared

Homework Statement

A ring of mass m slides on a smooth circular hoop with radius r in the vertical plane. The ring is connected to the top of the hoop by a spring with natural length r and spring constant k.

By resolving in one direction only show that in static equilibrium the angle the spring makes to the vertical is θ where:

[tex]cos\theta = \frac{1}{2}\cdot \frac{1}{1-\frac{mg}{kr}}[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]T=kx[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

To find the equation for tension:

[tex]L=2rcos\theta\\
T = kr(2cos\theta - 1)[/tex]

Resolving vertically I got:

[tex]Tcos\theta = Rcos\theta + mg[/tex]

and horizontally:

[tex]Rsin\theta = Tsin\theta[/tex]

The above can't be correct and also I've resolved in two directions where the question has only asked for one. The forces I have drawn on my diagram are tension and reaction parallel but in opposite directions and weight straight down.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello. Welcome to PF!

A diagram of the setup would be helpful. Based on some of your work, I think I understand the system.

Are you sure the reaction force (normal force), R, makes the angle θ to the vertical?

Since you are asked to resolve forces in one direction only, try to resolve the forces in an appropriate direction that is neither horizontal nor vertical.

I've attached the provided diagram of the system.

I assume the action force would make the same angle θ as it's been pulled in that direction by the tension.

Resolving parallel to the reaction & tension would yield a result still involving R though.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 368
Thanks for the diagram. That makes the setup clear.

I don't think your assumption about the direction of the reaction force is correct. You are apparently supposed to assume no friction between the ring and the hoop. So, the reaction force is a "normal force".

You won't be able to make one resolution parallel to the reaction and tension since those two forces are not in the same direction.

Last edited:
TSny said:
Thanks for the diagram. That makes the setup clear.

I don't think your assumption that about the direction of the reaction force is correct. You are apparently supposed to assume no friction between the ring and the hoop. So, the reaction force is a "normal force".

You won't be able to make one resolution parallel to the reaction and tension since those two forces are not in the same direction.

If it's a normal force, what is it normal to? The surface/edge of the hoop?

Yes, it's normal to the surface of the hoop.

TSny said:
Yes, it's normal to the surface of the hoop.

Like in the modified diagram attached?

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 419
No. In your diagram, R is not perpendicular to the surface of the ring.

TSny said:
No. In your diagram, R is not perpendicular to the surface of the ring.

Sorry, noticed that almost straight away. Thanks for your help there.

I'm still unsure how it is possible to resolve to get a value for cosθ which doesn't involve R though.

To get a relation that does not involve R, resolve along a direction for which R has zero component.

Likes omegasquared
TSny said:
To get a relation that does not involve R, resolve along a direction for which R has zero component.

Thanks, that pointed me in the right direction! Much appreciated!

1. What is a ring on a smooth hoop?

A ring on a smooth hoop is a physics experiment that involves a smooth metal hoop and a metal ring. The ring is placed on top of the hoop and the goal is to make the ring roll around the hoop without falling off.

2. What are the materials needed for this experiment?

The materials needed for this experiment are a smooth metal hoop, a metal ring, and a flat surface to perform the experiment on.

3. What is the purpose of this experiment?

The purpose of this experiment is to demonstrate the concept of rotational motion and conservation of energy. It also allows for the exploration of factors that affect the motion of the ring on the hoop, such as the hoop's diameter and the ring's mass.

4. How does the ring stay on the hoop without falling off?

The ring stays on the hoop due to the conservation of energy. As the ring rolls around the hoop, it gains kinetic energy and loses potential energy. The hoop's smooth surface and the ring's circular shape also help to reduce friction, allowing the ring to roll smoothly and stay on the hoop.

5. What are some potential sources of error in this experiment?

Some potential sources of error in this experiment include variations in the hoop's smoothness and the ring's shape, as well as air resistance, which can affect the motion of the ring. The experiment may also be affected by external factors such as vibrations or uneven surfaces.