Finding the Center of Mass in a Tank with Muddy Suspension | Homework Equations

In summary, we have a tank in the shape of a lower hemisphere with radius R. The density of the muddy suspension inside is given by ρ(x,y,z)=e^-h(x,y,z), where h(x,y,z) is the height of (x,y,z) above the lowest point of the tank. To find the center of mass, we first determine the height h(x,y,z), which is R+z (where z is negative). Using the equation of the hemisphere, z=√(R^2-x^2-y^2), we can set up the integration in cylindrical coordinates and solve for the first moments M_yz. The limits of integration will be [0,R]x[-Pi/2, 0
vintwc

Homework Statement

Let Ω be a tank whose shape is that of the lower hemisphere of radius R. The tank with a muddy suspension whose density ρ is ρ(x,y,z):=e^-h(x,y,z), where h(x,y,z) is the height of (x,y,z) above the lowest point of the tank. Find the center of mass in the tank

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

First of all, how does one determine the height, h(x,y,z)? I guess it would be R but I am not able to give a reasoning to my guess. I would appreciate if someone could give me a graphical illustration on how to find the limits of integration for this problem as well. Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Alright following the my notes so far which had a sort of similar but different question, I guess that the height is z+R? Assuming if this is right, the limits of integration will be [0,R]x[-Pi/2, 0]x[0,2*Pi] (since we are looking at the lower hemisphere).
However, if I try to calculate the first moments M_yz, I got the integrand as 0 at some point. Maybe this indicates that I am moving in the wrong direction?

Last edited:
If you set this up so the hemisphere is the lower half of a sphere of radius R with center at (0,0,0), then the lowest point is (0, 0, R) and the "height above the lowest point" of (x,y,z) is R+ z (z is negative, of course).

[tex]e^{-h}= e^{-R-z}= e^{-R}e^{-z}[/tex].

The equation of the hemisphere is [tex]z= \sqrt{R^2- x^2- y^2}[/tex].

Squaring both sides of that gives [itex]x^2- y^2= z^2- R^2[/itex] which is the equation of a cross section of the hemisphere at that height. Since the density is a function of z, that will be helpful in integrating. Since that is a circle for all z, I would recommend doing the integration in cylindrical coordinates.

HallsofIvy said:
If you set this up so the hemisphere is the lower half of a sphere of radius R with center at (0,0,0), then the lowest point is (0, 0, R) and the "height above the lowest point" of (x,y,z) is R+ z (z is negative, of course).

[tex]e^{-h}= e^{-R-z}= e^{-R}e^{-z}[/tex].

The equation of the hemisphere is [tex]z= \sqrt{R^2- x^2- y^2}[/tex].

Squaring both sides of that gives [itex]x^2- y^2= z^2- R^2[/itex] which is the equation of a cross section of the hemisphere at that height. Since the density is a function of z, that will be helpful in integrating. Since that is a circle for all z, I would recommend doing the integration in cylindrical coordinates.

Ah, too late for correction. But I had the same approach as yours. I was considering cylindrical coordinates but I was having trouble with finding the limits (spherical one as well).

Related to Finding the Center of Mass in a Tank with Muddy Suspension | Homework Equations

What is the center of mass in a tank with muddy suspension?

The center of mass in a tank with muddy suspension refers to the point at which the entire mass of the tank and its contents can be considered to be concentrated. This point is important in determining the stability and balance of the tank.

Why is finding the center of mass important in tanks with muddy suspension?

Finding the center of mass is important because it allows us to understand the balance and stability of the tank. If the center of mass is too high, the tank may be more prone to tipping over or losing control. If it is too low, the tank may have difficulty maneuvering through rough terrain.

What factors affect the location of the center of mass in a tank with muddy suspension?

The location of the center of mass in a tank with muddy suspension can be affected by several factors, such as the shape and size of the tank, the distribution of weight within the tank, and the consistency of the muddy suspension.

How can the center of mass be calculated for a tank with muddy suspension?

To calculate the center of mass for a tank with muddy suspension, we can use the principle of moments. This involves breaking the tank down into smaller sections and calculating the individual moments, which can then be used to determine the overall center of mass.

What are some challenges in finding the center of mass in tanks with muddy suspension?

One of the main challenges in finding the center of mass in tanks with muddy suspension is the constant shifting and changing of the muddy suspension. This can make it difficult to accurately determine the weight distribution within the tank and therefore, the location of the center of mass.