Finding the change in length of the rope

In summary, a car with a mass of 1800 kg is being towed by another car with a rope of stiffness 105 N/m and an acceleration of 0.3 m/s2. The change in length of the rope can be found using the equation F = kx, where F is the horizontal force causing the acceleration and x is the change in length of the rope. The correct answer is 0.054 m.
Arquon

Homework Statement

a= 0.3 m / s2
k = 10 000 N / m
m = 1800 kg ( of the car that is being pulled)
Ignore friction.

A car is being pulled by another car by a rope ( stiffness = 10 000 N/m) with acceleration of 0.3 m/s2.. Find the change in length of the rope.

Homework Equations

F = ma
F = kx (x is the change in length)

The Attempt at a Solution

x = F / k
I am having trouble at finding F. I have made a graph, which I have uploaded here, of the car that is being pulled in this situation and I don't know if it's correct. A hint would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 20161126_161949[1].jpg
    20161126_161949[1].jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 406
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to Physics Forums.

Here is a hint: There is only one horizontal force acting on the car being towed and that force is what is causing it to accelerate. The weight of the car is a downward force and the normal force is upward. So use one of the "relevant equations" that you listed.

Likes Arquon
So F should be 540 N ( since there is only one horizontal force, got it simply by F = ma) , or is there something else I'm not noticing ? Because I'm not getting a correct answer. It's supposed to be 0.011 m, but I get 0.0054 m, so F should be approximately 1100 N.

Well, unless there's something I'm not noticing also, I don't see how you did anything wrong. But I got 0.054 m, instead of 0.0054 that you got. That may have just been a typo. Sometimes the "correct answers" are wrong.

Likes Arquon
You may just want to check that you copied down all of the information from the problem correctly.

Likes Arquon
I forgot one 0 for k: it's supposed to be 105, my bad. And it seems I lost one bit of information while translating this exercise, so I will re-do it:

Car A is being towed by car B with a rope ( k = 105) and acceleration of 0.3 m/s2. Car A has a mass of 1800 kg. Ignore friction. Find the change in length of the rope.

Likes TomHart
Arquon said:
I forgot one 0 for k: it's supposed to be 105, my bad. And it seems I lost one bit of information while translating this exercise, so I will re-do it:

Car A is being towed by car B with a rope ( k = 105) and acceleration of 0.3 m/s2. Car A has a mass of 1800 kg. Ignore friction. Find the change in length of the rope.
It's definitely 0.0054m, unless you forgot to mention it is going uphill.

Likes CWatters and Arquon
No, it's going horizontal. Maybe car B has something to do with it ? If I imagine right, car B has 2 horizontal forces: one in direction of the rope, and another one to the front of the car B.

Edit : Although, nevermind. That still got me back to F = ma. I guess the answer is 0.054 m then. Thanks for help !

1. What is the equation to find the change in length of a rope?

The equation to find the change in length of a rope is ΔL = Lf - Li, where ΔL is the change in length, Lf is the final length, and Li is the initial length.

2. How do you measure the length of a rope?

The length of a rope can be measured using a ruler, measuring tape, or other measuring tools. Simply stretch out the rope and measure from one end to the other.

3. What can cause the change in length of a rope?

The change in length of a rope can be caused by various factors such as temperature, tension, and weight. Changes in these factors can cause the rope to expand or contract, resulting in a change in length.

4. How does temperature affect the length of a rope?

Temperature can affect the length of a rope because materials expand when heated and contract when cooled. This expansion and contraction can cause the rope to change in length.

5. Can the change in length of a rope be negative?

Yes, the change in length of a rope can be negative. This means that the final length is smaller than the initial length, indicating that the rope has contracted. This can occur when the rope is exposed to colder temperatures or when tension is released.