1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the Coefficient of friction on an incline plane

1. Oct 11, 2011 #1
    I need to find the coeffcient of friction on an incline plane. I need the equation to find the coefficient for any givien angle. It part of a lab where I'm required to create the procedure and am stuck with how to create the equation. We can use a protractor or trigonomic functions to find the angle and the mass of the object can be found with a scale.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2011 #2
    Show me the equation for the coefficient if you don't have an incline?

4. Oct 11, 2011 #3
    Well, mu = tan(theta) is sometimes used. Depends though.

5. Oct 11, 2011 #4
    thanks watermelon that was the equation i couldnt get too that equation because i didnt have the trig functions to get there.

6. Oct 11, 2011 #5
    Maybe I don't understand what is going on, but it seems to me that mu = tan (theta) is just plain wrong.

7. Oct 13, 2011 #6
    Assuming the only forces acting on the mass are gravity, the normal force, and friction, then it is true. SumF = mgsin(theta) - mu*mgcos(theta) = 0.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook