Finding the Coefficient of friction on an incline plane

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 3K views
Trent Horn
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
I need to find the coeffcient of friction on an incline plane. I need the equation to find the coefficient for any givien angle. It part of a lab where I'm required to create the procedure and am stuck with how to create the equation. We can use a protractor or trigonomic functions to find the angle and the mass of the object can be found with a scale.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Show me the equation for the coefficient if you don't have an incline?
 
Well, mu = tan(theta) is sometimes used. Depends though.
 
thanks watermelon that was the equation i couldn't get too that equation because i didnt have the trig functions to get there.
 
Maybe I don't understand what is going on, but it seems to me that mu = tan (theta) is just plain wrong.
 
Assuming the only forces acting on the mass are gravity, the normal force, and friction, then it is true. SumF = mgsin(theta) - mu*mgcos(theta) = 0.