Finding the Collision Point for Two Walking Persons with Different Accelerations

• Thread starter saac
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Kinematics
In summary, the two people starting from rest at 88m apart, with person A moving at a magnitude of .3m/s^2 and person B moving at a magnitude of .2m/s^2, will meet at a point where person A has moved a distance x and person B has moved a distance 88-x, in the same amount of time. This can be represented by the equation x/.3=88-x/.2, which can be solved to find the collision point.
saac

Homework Statement

Two people start from rest at 88m apart and walk directly toward each other. Person A has a magnitude of .3m/s^2, while person B has a magnitude of .2m/^2. Relative to person A's starting point, where do the people coincide?

Homework Equations

How to determine collision point?

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried find the total time it takes for each to cover the 88m. then take those values and switch them between A & B. Otherwise I'm stuck.

Physics news on Phys.org
saac said:

Homework Statement

Two people start from rest at 88m apart and walk directly toward each other. Person A has a magnitude of .3m/s^2, while person B has a magnitude of .2m/^2. Relative to person A's starting point, where do the people coincide?

Homework Equations

How to determine collision point?

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried find the total time it takes for each to cover the 88m. then take those values and switch them between A & B. Otherwise I'm stuck.
But each does not cover 88 m. They meet somewhere in between A and B, and arrive there at the same elapsed time.

So t1=t2 . Would velocity be calculated for A & B? and then find the displacement for each?

It would be easier to write an equation to show how far A moves during t1, and how far B moves during time t1. Note that if A moves x meters during that time, then B moves 88-x meters during the time it takes them to meet.

ok makes sense. however, i do not understand how to utilize the accelerations? would the equation look like this: x/.3=88-x/.2?

No, use the kinematic equation that relates distance as a function of acceleration and time...

Related to Finding the Collision Point for Two Walking Persons with Different Accelerations

1. What is kinematics?

Kinematics is the branch of physics that studies the motion of objects without considering the causes of the motion.

2. What is 1-D kinematics?

1-D kinematics is the study of motion in one dimension, such as linear motion along a straight line.

3. What are the basic equations used in 1-D kinematics?

The basic equations used in 1-D kinematics are displacement (x = x0 + v0t + (1/2)at2), velocity (v = v0 + at), and acceleration (a = (v - v0)/t).

4. What is the difference between distance and displacement?

Distance is the total length traveled by an object, while displacement is the change in position of an object from its initial position to its final position.

5. How is acceleration related to velocity and time in 1-D kinematics?

Acceleration is defined as the rate of change of velocity, which means that it is directly proportional to the change in velocity and inversely proportional to the change in time. This can be represented by the equation a = (v - v0)/t.