Finding the distance between 2 charges in electric equilibrium.

In summary: So you need to multiply both sides by 4.4r :smile: …then you'll get a quadratic equation, which you can solve with the quadratic formula. :cool:In summary, using the electric force and electric field formulas, the distance between charges A and C can be found by setting the forces equal to each other and solving for the radius, r. The resulting quadratic equation can then be solved using the quadratic formula.
Ram012593

Homework Statement

Charge A and charge B are 2.2m apart.Charge A is 1.0C, and charge B is 2.0c. Charge C, which is 2.0C, is located between them and is in electrostatic equilibrium. How far from charge A is charge C.

Homework Equations

E = KcQ1Q2/r^2-------Electric force Formula where E = electric force, Kc = 8.99*10^9, r = radius
E=Kq/r^2--------------Electric field formula where q = charge of particle, E = electric field, K = 8.99 * 10^9
EQ = F----------------E = electric field, Q = charge of particle, F = force

The Attempt at a Solution

Not really sure how to start this one so if anyone would help me it would be great thanks much in advanced!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Ram012593! :wink:

If the distance AC is r, then the distance BC is 2.2 - r.

Show us what you get. :smile:

Ok I've tried setting the formulas for the forces equal to each other since its electric equilibrium so the forces must be the same and tried to solve for ra the radius of the first two and I am not sure if i did it incorrectly or i made an algebra mistake it could easily be both as I'm not very good at algebra at the moment if anyone would correct me this would be great thanks much:D. Here is a link to a snapshot i took of what i did so far. If i am doing it correctly which is not likely can someone tell me how I could continue. http://postimg.org/image/q4md6ins1/

Hi Ram012593! :smile:
Ram012593 said:
… I'm not very good at algebra at the moment …

Yes, your method is fine, but your algebra has let you down :redface:

your 1/r2 = 2/(2.2 - r)2 is correct :smile:,

but you left out the 4.4r term when you expanded that square! :confused:

(btw, why use two letters, ra, or maybe ra, when one letter will do? :wink:)

I would approach this problem by first identifying the key information given: the distance between charge A and B, the charges of each particle, and the fact that charge C is in electrostatic equilibrium.

To find the distance between charge A and C, we can use the electric force formula given, where we know the electric force is zero since charge C is in equilibrium. This means that the force between charge A and C must be equal and opposite to the force between charge B and C.

We can set up the following equation:
Kc(1.0C)(2.0C)/r^2 = Kc(2.0C)(2.0C)/(2.2m-r)^2

Simplifying, we get:
1.0/r^2 = 4.0/(2.2-r)^2

To solve for r, we can take the square root of both sides and rearrange the equation to get:
r = 2.2m - 2.2m/√4.0

This simplifies to:
r = 2.2m - 1.1m

Therefore, charge C is located 1.1m from charge A.

We can also use the electric field formula to verify our answer. Since charge C is in equilibrium, the electric field at its location is also zero. This means that the electric field at charge A and charge B must be equal.

Using the formula E = Kq/r^2, we can set up the following equation:
Kc(1.0C)/r^2 = Kc(2.0C)/(2.2m-r)^2

Simplifying, we get:
1.0/r^2 = 2.0/(2.2-r)^2

Solving for r, we get the same result of 1.1m.

In conclusion, the distance between charge A and C in electric equilibrium is 1.1m. This can be verified using both the electric force and electric field formulas.

1. How is the distance between two charges determined in electric equilibrium?

The distance between two charges in electric equilibrium is determined by the equation r = k * Q1 * Q2 / F, where r is the distance between the charges, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q1 and Q2 are the magnitudes of the charges, and F is the force between the two charges. This equation is based on Coulomb's law, which states that the force between two charges is directly proportional to the product of their magnitudes and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. What is the unit of measurement for the distance between two charges in electric equilibrium?

The unit of measurement for the distance between two charges in electric equilibrium is meters (m). This is because distance is a physical quantity measured in terms of length, and meters are the standard unit of measurement for length in the International System of Units (SI).

3. Can the distance between two charges in electric equilibrium be negative?

No, the distance between two charges in electric equilibrium cannot be negative. Distance is a positive physical quantity that represents the separation between two points, and it cannot have a negative value. However, the direction of the distance vector can be negative, indicating that the charges are located in opposite directions from each other.

4. How does the distance between two charges affect the electric field strength?

The distance between two charges has an inverse relationship with the electric field strength. This means that as the distance between the charges increases, the electric field strength decreases. This can be seen in the equation E = k * Q / r^2, where E is the electric field strength, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge, and r is the distance between the charges. As r increases, the denominator (r^2) also increases, resulting in a lower value for the electric field strength.

5. Is there a limit to the distance between two charges in electric equilibrium?

No, there is no limit to the distance between two charges in electric equilibrium. However, as the distance between the charges increases, the force between them becomes weaker and eventually reaches a negligible value. This is why in most practical applications, the distance between two charges is considered to be infinite, and the force between them is assumed to be zero.