Finding the electric field of a charged rod

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 3K views
Ascendant78
Messages
327
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



photo.jpg


Homework Equations



See above

The Attempt at a Solution



I messed with this for hours. I also searched all over the web and can't find anything that is similar. None of the problems I could find gave a value, they just gave lambda. Anyway, I have no idea what I'm doing wrong here. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Your method is correct but the units are not written. Note that the units of charge density given are pC not C.

1pC=10-12C
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person
Ascendant78 said:

Homework Statement



photo.jpg


Homework Equations



See above

The Attempt at a Solution



I messed with this for hours. I also searched all over the web and can't find anything that is similar. None of the problems I could find gave a value, they just gave lambda. Anyway, I have no idea what I'm doing wrong here. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Your method is correct, but:

The linear charge density is λ=-3.5 pC/m. What do you think pC means?

Plug in the value of the constant k, to get the final result. What is k?

You need to the include the units in the final result.


ehild
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person
consciousness said:
Your method is correct but the units are not written. Note that the units of charge density given are pC not C.

1pC=10-12C

Wow, thank you. I had no idea, nor did our professor ever bother to bring that up when he assigned this homework. I actually though it may have been a ρ symbolizing the density. It threw me off because I couldn't find any similar problem that defined λ.

I really appreciate the feedback. I made the adjustment and my answer checks out. I know I had my sign wrong (went from the point to dx instead of dx to the point for r), but I wasn't so much worried about that as I was figuring out what I was doing wrong.
 
Ascendant78 said:
I really appreciate the feedback. I made the adjustment and my answer checks out. I know I had my sign wrong (went from the point to dx instead of dx to the point for r), but I wasn't so much worried about that as I was figuring out what I was doing wrong.
According to the vectorial form of the Coulomb force , the electric field at a point x on the x axis, produced by a charge Q at x=X0 is

[tex]F=k\frac{Q}{|x-X_0|^2} \frac{x-X_0}{|x-X_0|}[/tex]
So you have to measure the distance from the charge to the point, you did it well, but you have too multiply kdq/(x-0.1)2 with the sign of x-0.1. It is negative: you missed a - sign.

YOu need to be familiar with the prefixes of SI units : http://www.physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/prefixes.html

ehild
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person
ehild said:
According to the vectorial form of the Coulomb force , the electric field at a point x on the x axis, produced by a charge Q at x=X0 is

[tex]F=k\frac{Q}{|x-X_0|^2} \frac{x-X_0}{|x-X_0|}[/tex]
So you have to measure the distance from the charge to the point, you did it well, but you have too multiply kdq/(x-0.1)2 with the sign of x-0.1. It is negative: you missed a - sign.

YOu need to be familiar with the prefixes of SI units : http://www.physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/prefixes.html

ehild

Got it and thanks for the link to the prefixes too.