Finding the energy field due to three positive point charges on a 4th negative charge

In summary, at the position of the negative charge, the electric field due to the three positive charges is 2.7x107 N/C. The attractive force on the negative charge is 1092 N.
MarieWynn

Homework Statement

Three equal positive point charge of magnitude Q=7.00uC are located at three corners of a square of edge length d=4.8cm. A negative charge of -21.00uC is placed on the fourth corner.
A) At the position of the negative charge, what is the magnitude of the electric field due to the three positive charges?
B) What is the magnitude of the attractive force on the negative charge?

Homework Equations

Ea=kQ/d^2 (also applies to Ec)
Eb=sqrt (Ea^2 + Ec^2)
e=KQ/r^2
r=sqrt(2d)

The Attempt at a Solution

I haven't gotten to part B yet, but here is the work I have done for part A.
Ea=(8.99x10^9)(7x10^-6)/.048^2=2.7x10^7
Ec=2.7x10^7
Eb=sqrt(Ea^2+Ec^2)=3.86x10^7
The electric field at the negative point due to the corner charge: e=KQ/r^2
e=(8.99x10^9)(21x10^-6)/0.3098^2=1967053.444
Since e and Eb are parallel, to find the magnitude of the electric field you would need to add them together: e+Eb=4.1x10^7

I have no idea why this is wrong. I also tried breaking it down into vectors, but that also got a wrong answer as well. If that was the right line of thinking I can post the work for that, but it felt off to me. I am including the diagram I drew up a well. I only have one try left so any guidance to help me see what I am doing wrong would be greatly appreciated.

Untitled-1.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Marie! :smile:

(try using the X2 icon just above the Reply box :wink:)
MarieWynn said:
e=(8.99x10^9)(21x10^-6)/0.3098^2=1967053.444

No, read the question again, the charge is still 7 :redface:

(and where does 0.3098 come from?)

Heh, I see the x2 button now. :) Thanks!

0.3098 is r, where r=sqrt(2d).

I had originally kept the charge the same for that part where e=(8.99x109)(7x10-6)/r2 but the answer was still wrong. It gave me 6.6x105 and when adding that to Eb, I got 3.9x107 N/C, which is still incorrect.

MarieWynn said:
0.3098 is r, where r=sqrt(2d)

nooooooooooo! :cry:

r=sqrt(2)d (or, easier, r2 = 2d2)​

start again, and post it here first so we can check it! :smile:

then get some sleep! :zzz:​

So r2=2d2=2*0.0482=0.004608
e=KQ/r2=(8.99x109)*(7x10-6)/0.004608=1.4x107

Then adding that to Eb would give us: E= 5.2x107 N/C
Is that right? Which would bring us to part B, which would be:
F=Eq=(5.2x107)(21x10-6)= 1092 N

MarieWynn said:
So r2=2d2=2*0.0482=0.004608
e=KQ/r2=(8.99x109)*(7x10-6)/0.004608=1.4x107

Then adding that to Eb would give us: E= 5.2x107 N/C
Is that right? Which would bring us to part B, which would be:
F=Eq=(5.2x107)(21x10-6)= 1092 N

Yes, that all looks ok :smile:, except you should have at least three https://www.physicsforums.com/library.php?do=view_item&itemid=523" in all your intermediate steps, or you might have a rounding error …

you always need more sig figs in the intermediate steps than in the final result

(and the Newtons should presumably be to only 2 sig figs)

do it again to check :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:

Thank you so much! This was correct and you really helped me to understand what I did wrong. When I get this problem right on the test I will thank you again! :)

FAQ: Finding the energy field due to three positive point charges on a 4th negative charge

1. What is the formula for calculating the energy field due to three positive point charges on a 4th negative charge?

The formula for calculating the energy field due to three positive point charges on a 4th negative charge is given by the Coulomb's Law which states that the magnitude of the electrostatic force between two point charges is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. How do the individual charges affect the overall energy field?

The individual charges have a significant impact on the overall energy field. The magnitude of the energy field is directly proportional to the product of the charges, meaning that the larger the individual charges, the stronger the overall energy field will be. Additionally, the direction of the energy field is determined by the sign of the individual charges.

3. Is the energy field always attractive or can it be repulsive?

The energy field can be both attractive and repulsive, depending on the signs of the charges involved. Opposite charges will create an attractive energy field, while like charges will create a repulsive energy field.

4. How does the distance between the charges affect the energy field?

The distance between the charges has a significant impact on the energy field. As per Coulomb's Law, the energy field is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the charges. This means that as the distance increases, the strength of the energy field decreases and vice versa.

5. Can the energy field due to these point charges be canceled out?

Yes, the energy field due to these point charges can be canceled out if there are equal and opposite charges present. In this case, the energy field created by one set of charges will be canceled out by the energy field created by the other set of charges, resulting in a net energy field of zero.

Back