Finding the Longitudinal Force: A Scientific Approach

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the longitudinal force on a thread placed a distance of a/2 away from a very long conductive strip with a surface charge density of σ. The approach involves finding the electric field at different points on the strip and integrating over the angle to find the total field. However, there are some discrepancies and uncertainties in the approach, such as the definition of longitudinal force and the contradiction between the strip being conducting and having a uniform charge density. Further clarification and calculations are needed to verify the proposed solution.
cdummie

Homework Statement

Very long thread, with constant longitudinal charge Q' is placed in a vacuum parallel to a very long conductive strip, whose width is a. thread is placed in the middle of the strip and it's a/2 away from it, if the surface density of charge of the strip is σ, find the longitudinal force to a thread.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

since F=Q*E it means that F'=Q'*E so i have to find E to find F, i could think of strip as a very big number of thin lines of charge, then, knowing the value of E for every single line i could sum up all of the contributions from one to another end of the strip. Since the E of the single line is (it's dE for the whole system):
firstEquation.png

where d is distance from one charged line to a thread.

Because of the symmetry, x component of the vector E will be zero, which means there's only y component and it's
dEy=(σ*dl*cosθ)/(2πε0d)

Since dl, d, and cosθ are unknowns i need to express them with some values i know, since cosθ*dl=r*dθ it means that cosθ/r=dθ/dl i have:

dE=(σ*dl*dθ)/(2πε0dl)

dE=(σ*dθ)/(2πε0)

which means i have to integrate over angle,
i have the distance form middle of strip to a thread and it's a/2 and it's in the middle so i have the distance to both ends form middle equal a/2, which means i could find distance form first (and last) thin line using Pythagoras theorem and it's sqrt(2)*a/2, now i can easy find the angle I'm looking for since sinθ equals opposite over hypotenuse it's sqrt(2)/2 and it means that angle is π/3 so i have integral form -π/3 to π/3 for this expression
dE=(σ*dθ)/(2πε0)

when i solve it i get

E=σ/3ε0
and F'=Q'*σ/3ε0

Now, my question is. Is this good approach, because I'm not sure is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
A number of things I'm not following here.
Wouldn't longitudinal force mean force parallel to the thread? But I see no reason why there would be such a force. On the other hand, if it means the force normal to the strip then that will be proportional to the length, which is not given. Maybe I have the wrong picture.

It says the strip is conducting, but then indicates it has a uniform charge density. That's contradictory.

The equation you show for the field has it inversely proportional to the distance. Not inverse square?

I can't tell if your integral is right without more detail. I believe it should involve a ##\cos^3## term.

1. What is longitudinal force?

Longitudinal force is a type of force that acts parallel to the direction of motion of an object.

2. How is longitudinal force different from transverse force?

Transverse force acts perpendicular to the direction of motion, while longitudinal force acts parallel to the direction of motion.

3. What causes longitudinal force?

Longitudinal force can be caused by a variety of factors, including friction, air resistance, and the force applied by a moving object.

4. How is longitudinal force measured?

Longitudinal force can be measured using a force sensor, which can be attached to the object experiencing the force.

5. What are some real-life examples of longitudinal force?

A few examples of longitudinal force in everyday life include pushing a shopping cart, riding a bike, and the force of gravity acting on a falling object.