Force acting on conducting contour

In summary, a force acting on conducting contour is a physical phenomenon that occurs when an electric current interacts with a magnetic field, known as the Lorentz force. This force can be calculated using the equation F = I * L * B and is affected by the strength of the magnetic field, current, and length of the conductor. The direction of the force can be determined using the right-hand rule and it is used in various practical applications, including electric motors, generators, and speakers.
cdummie

Homework Statement

We have contours C1 and C2 located in vacuum and there are constant currents in them, I1 and I2 respectively. Find the expression for magnetic force that acts on one very small element (dl) of the circle C2 and it's coming from one very small element of the contour C1. Sketch the contours with all the vectors that appear in the expression.

Homework Equations

F[/B]=IlxB

The Attempt at a Solution

This is how i tried to solve it.

First, the formula for magnetic force is F=IlxB but, since i have to choose very small elements of the contours it means that i am only interested in dl and not the whole length of the contour l so force coming form the one small element of C1 and it's acting on one small element of C2 should be F=I2dl2xB where I2 is the current in C2, dl2 is the small element of C2 and B is magnetic induction vector of one element of C1 in the point where dl2 si located, which means that i should find B.Using Biot-Savart's law we have B=μ0I1dl1/(4πr2)

where r is the distance from one element to another,

now, since axb=absinα , α-angle between a and b

then, the final solution is

F=μ0I2I1dl1dl2/(4πr2)

Now, i need to know if this is correct, then i'll do the sketch. So, i'd appreciate any help here.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The Biot-Savart law gives B as a vector too, and in this case a differential one at that, so you should write
dB = μ0I1dl1 x r/(4πr2)
with r being the unit vector pointing from dl1 to dl2.

Then you can write the element of force dF in terms of dB and dl2.

Likes cdummie
rude man said:
The Biot-Savart law gives B as a vector too, and in this case a differential one at that, so you should write
dB = μ0I1dl1 x r/(4πr2)
with r being the unit vector pointing from dl1 to dl2.

Then you can write the element of force dF in terms of dB and dl2.
Finally someone responded! :)

Ok, i know, B is a vector too, but if we look only at intensity, is my final solution in my previous post correct?

cdummie said:
Finally someone responded! :)
Finally, you responded (5 days after I responded) :-)
Ok, i know, B is a vector too, but if we look only at intensity, is my final solution in my previous post correct?
Your final expression is correct only if the vector elements dl1 and dl2 have the same direction (or opposite direction). For example, if the two elements were at 90 degrees then dF = 0.

You didn't include a picture of the two circles so maybe that would resolve the issue. And in any case you force is also an element of force so needs to be written as dF or dF.

Likes cdummie
rude man said:
Finally, you responded (5 days after I responded) :-)

Your final expression is correct only if the vector elements dl1 and dl2 have the same direction (or opposite direction). For example, if the two elements were at 90 degrees then dF = 0.

You didn't include a picture of the two circles so maybe that would resolve the issue. And in any case you force is also an element of force so needs to be written as dF or dF.
I understand what are you saying, it's because of the cross product. Thanks a lot for help!

cdummie said:
I understand what are you saying, it's because of the cross product. Thanks a lot for help!
Right, and yer' welcome!

What is a force acting on conducting contour?

A force acting on conducting contour is a physical phenomenon that occurs when an electric current flows through a conductor and interacts with a magnetic field. This force is known as the Lorentz force and is responsible for causing movement or deformation of the conductor.

How is the force acting on conducting contour calculated?

The force acting on conducting contour can be calculated using the equation F = I * L * B, where F is the force in Newtons, I is the current in Amperes, L is the length of the conductor in meters, and B is the strength of the magnetic field in Tesla.

What factors affect the force acting on conducting contour?

The force acting on conducting contour is affected by three main factors: the strength of the magnetic field, the current flowing through the conductor, and the length of the conductor. The force is directly proportional to the strength of the magnetic field and the current, and inversely proportional to the length of the conductor.

What is the direction of the force acting on conducting contour?

The direction of the force acting on conducting contour can be determined using the right-hand rule. If the current flows in the same direction as the magnetic field, the force will be in the opposite direction. If the current flows perpendicular to the magnetic field, the force will be perpendicular to both the current and the magnetic field.

How is the force acting on conducting contour used in practical applications?

The force acting on conducting contour is used in a variety of practical applications, such as electric motors, generators, and particle accelerators. It is also used in devices such as speakers, headphones, and microphones, where the force is used to produce movement and create sound waves.